Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 06-28-2012, 10:56 AM   #16
Jabby
Jr. - Junior Member
Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Archos, Asus, HP, Lenovo, Nexus and Samsung tablets in 7,8 and 10"
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
A card slot is still a big deal for me for a device that would be used for traveling about. I mostly vacation at places that don't have WiFi. How do I watch movies?
Nexus phones support OTG. If the Nexus 7 does as well, carry your movies on a thumb drive and play them directly from there. You can also move them to your internal memory if you wish.

I think I paid 6 bucks for my OTG/USB adapter (the same adapter needed to connect a mouse or keyboard).

Regards - John
Jabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 11:15 AM   #17
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabby View Post
Nexus phones support OTG. If the Nexus 7 does as well, carry your movies on a thumb drive and play them directly from there. You can also move them to your internal memory if you wish.

I think I paid 6 bucks for my OTG/USB adapter (the same adapter needed to connect a mouse or keyboard).

Regards - John
Question, have you used USB flash drives on your Android device? I was just reading around and it appears there are some folks who had peripherals working okay with OTG but had trouble mounting storage devices.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 11:23 AM   #18
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
Question, have you used USB flash drives on your Android device? I was just reading around and it appears there are some folks who had peripherals working okay with OTG but had trouble mounting storage devices.
Perhaps it's a power issue? I imagine that a tablet would struggle to power a USB-powered hard disk drive.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 11:44 AM   #19
Jabby
Jr. - Junior Member
Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
Since the advent of Android 2.3 I have had no problems with my newer flash drives. All the problems I have run into have had to do with power requirements. I have had little success with USB powered hard drives.

I use the Transcend and Kingston version of these and have had no problems.

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-MicroS...micro+sd+cards

http://www.amazon.com/Lexar-MicroSDH...ef=pd_sim_pc_1

Regards - John
Old 06-29-2012, 11:36 AM   #20
Jabby
Jr. - Junior Member

OTG Update

There is now a Nexus 7 Guidebook on Google Play. Starting on page 67 it talks about usb connectivity.

It says that you can connect mice, keyboards and "other" devices with an "adapter". I had assumed this was true but it is comforting to see it in print.

Here is a link to the OTG (On The Go) adapter I think I have - I could have the Motorola version.

http://www.amazon.com/micro-USB-Adap...ords=otg+cable

For those that are interested I'm attaching a thumbnail of the USB pinouts. As you can see the only difference between the regular and the OTG cable is that pin 4 and 5 are tied together. If the tablet senses a ground on pin 4 it knows that it should act as a host usb port if not then act as a device port. Simple and easy/cheap to implement.

Regards - John
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	OTG Pinout.jpg
Views:	2616
Size:	33.6 KB
ID:	88471  
Old 06-29-2012, 01:24 PM   #21
detayls
Addict
detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, iPhone, Kindle Voyage
Talking Yes, it will...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Nice, but it certainly won't be integrated into Amazon.
The Android Kindle app is actually better than the Kindle Fire reader app and it will run fine on the Nexus 7.

Google has played this game well...
detayls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 05:54 PM   #22
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabby View Post
There is now a Nexus 7 Guidebook on Google Play. Starting on page 67 it talks about usb connectivity.

It says that you can connect mice, keyboards and "other" devices with an "adapter". I had assumed this was true but it is comforting to see it in print.
Reported here however that external storage is not supported.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 03:49 PM   #23
Fotoman
Groupie
Fotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it is

Device: iPad 64GB wifi (Sony 505 RIP)
Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
Reported here however that external storage is not supported.
Hmm... Could have sworn I read a hands-on preview that talked about "playing media files" from USB storage... will try to find the link.
Fotoman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
android, nexus, tablet