Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 03-12-2011, 02:31 AM   #1
spaze
Addict
spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Writing my first short story: Guardian Angel
Not all epubs working in Stanza

I have been thinking about switching to Stanza and my iPod Touch utnil I get an ereader, but I have noticed some of the epubs are not working. First page might work but rest of them are blank. Same file on my Cybook Opus works flawlessly.

Any idea what the problem might be?
spaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 02:54 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Stanza is not a terribly good ePub reader. Sounds as if that's the problem. Have you tried viewing those same ePub files in iBooks?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 06:20 AM   #3
spaze
Addict
spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I have not as I wasn't aware of iBooks application. Updating iTunes and iPod's firmware as I am typing this. Will let you know the outcome.
Old 03-12-2011, 07:53 AM   #4
spaze
Addict

Yup, works now and is even better than Stanza. Thanks for the tip!
Old 03-12-2011, 08:02 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You're welcome .
Old 03-12-2011, 10:35 AM   #6
CHunter_Author
Zealot
CHunter_Author ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CHunter_Author ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CHunter_Author ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CHunter_Author ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CHunter_Author ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CHunter_Author ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CHunter_Author ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CHunter_Author ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CHunter_Author ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CHunter_Author ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CHunter_Author ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone
Stanza has been excellent for me. Even better than the iBook app. In the latest version the text slides instead of flips; and that was a major improvement. The experience is much smoother.
CHunter_Author is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 12:39 PM   #7
spaze
Addict

To me there is no experience if the epub file doesn't work I'm glad it works for you and I'm glad I discovered iPod Touch as a temporary ereader as I am in the middle of Hitch HHiker's Guide To Galaxy and I have to return the ereader I currently have.
Old 03-14-2011, 10:55 PM   #8
CallOfCth'reader
Cultist
CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 505, Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo, Kobo Forma, Kindle DX
Have you tried toggling the day/night settings? I've found, with a few epubs, that the pages are blank on the night setting. I got around it by using the day setting, but setting custom colours.

I also found some epubs had line-feeds between paragraphs, so I set the paragraph spacing low and increased the indent slightly.
CallOfCth'reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 11:05 PM   #9
CallOfCth'reader
Cultist
CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I just downloaded iBooks onto my iPod Touch. It finished downloading, and then the icon vanished! It's listed as being installed on the app store, and is listed in the settings. I can't even uninstall it now!

Update: I had to uninstall it from iTunes, and then reinstall it. It looks good, but not as flexible as Stanza, and the books seem to be the same price as Amazon (the few that I checked, at least).

Last edited by CallOfCth'reader; 03-14-2011 at 11:21 PM. Reason: Updated post.
Old 03-16-2011, 09:38 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

I certainly wouldn't buy books from the iBookstore, simply because their DRM can't be removed, so they're "locked" to an iDevice.
Old 03-16-2011, 03:48 PM   #11
CallOfCth'reader
Cultist

Yes, it occurred to me to find out about the DRM after browsing the iBook store, and it means that I won't be buying books from there either.

I was really impressed with the rendering of ePub's in the iBooks app, which is a lot better than in Stanza. The app seemed to cause my Touch's battery to drop faster than when using Stanza, though. A prefect amalgam would be the iBook rendering engine, with Stanza's low graphic-frills approach.