Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-10-2011, 03:17 PM   #376
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by EowynCarter View Post
Why allow electronics devices on planes at all then ?
It's only a real issue during takeoff/landing, not the entire flight. That's usually when they require you to turn them off.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 03:29 PM   #377
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
It's only a real issue during takeoff/landing, not the entire flight. That's usually when they require you to turn them off.
It's taking quite a bet that the people will actually obey...
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-10-2011, 03:43 PM   #378
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Why allow electronics devices on planes at all then ?
Exactly!
tubemonkey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 03:53 PM   #379
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
It's taking quite a bet that the people will actually obey...
True, but the airline is probably more interested in liability than they are in your life.
Old 02-11-2011, 06:10 PM   #380
WarningU2
WarningU2 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony eReader PRS 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belfaborac View Post
Quite frankly, anyone who actually feels unduly inconvenienced when asked to turn his or her reader off during takeoff and landing is likely pathologically self-absorbed.
Yep that's me full of myself.

I think we would all be better off to get on a plane naked without any electronics and hand cuffed. That would guarantee we will arrive safe and sound without disturbing others or the plane.

Great discussion here ... thanks.
WarningU2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-12-2011, 09:03 AM   #381
Mickey330
Addict
Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis & the Kindle app on iDevices
I just returned from a trip where the pilot (Delta Airlines), when asking people to turn off their electronic devices, specifically stated that it included Kindles, Nooks, iPads and iPods.

I think he mentioned more, but I was busy putting away my PB360... :-)

Marilyn
Mickey330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 09:16 AM   #382
dmacmart
Fanatic
dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Glo, Arc, H2O, iPhone, iPad 2, (husband)Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belfaborac View Post
Quite frankly, anyone who actually feels unduly inconvenienced when asked to turn his or her reader off during takeoff and landing is likely pathologically self-absorbed.
It's fine when a flight is on time, take off and landing take what, 10 minutes each? But when there are schedule changes and your plane has to wait or taxi around on the ground, or remain in the air, for half an hour or more, you really wish you could read. Especially on the ground, couldn't the electronic device cutoff time be moved to when your plane is actually taking off, not just in queue?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey330 View Post
I just returned from a trip where the pilot (Delta Airlines), when asking people to turn off their electronic devices, specifically stated that it included Kindles, Nooks, iPads and iPods.
First time I flew with my eReader, they mentioned those things and more explicitly, then said "Any electronic device with an ON/OFF switch must be in the OFF position." No question, my little Kobo had to be turned off.
dmacmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 09:07 AM   #383
Pinecone
Guru
Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-650, PRS-600, PRS-350
It is not just the wifi/3G, it is the processor. They are even making you turn off noise cancelling headsets. The processor has a clock, and since it is clocked, it is radiating a signal. With more and more aircraft becoming more and more electronic, it is a possibility.

One reader or other device is not a problem. 100 or 200 or 500 (A380) MIGHT be a problem. And there is no way to test the possible combinations of devices and locations within the aircraft.

The FAA requires the operator (airline) to only allow them if they have tested to ensure there are no issues. And since they can't do the testing required, you turn them off.

And if everyone ignored, you might just find out that you are part of a combination that causes serious issues, by being in the headlines as a fatality in an airline crash.
Pinecone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 02:54 PM   #384
Bricorn
Addict
Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DXG
How DO you turn off a Kindle?

The switch is supposed to work;
Quick flick = sleep
Hold for 7 seconds = off
Hold for 20 seconds plus = restart

"off" does give a white screen, but the device wakes as fast from there as from sleep, which leads me to believe that it's just a "sleep with a white screen" setting.

A wake from a real off should surely take at least as long as a restart and show the start-up screens while it's doing it.

Any BMs out there who can shed light on this?
Bricorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 08:53 PM   #385
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Come on people, why let anyone on aircraft, and what about the cargo... get rid of both and there go all your supposed hazards... planes can now fly safely everywhere...

Mostly it's like the "turn your mobile phone off in hospitals" rubbish, recently admitted that it was unnecessary just cya, now there's been some tests it seems it's rubbish... now you electronics may get fried by stuff in hospitals (MRI, X-Ray machines etc) but your phone does zip to them...
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 05:42 AM   #386
boxcorner
»(°±°)«
boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: divisive reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by elcreative View Post
Come on people, why let anyone on aircraft, and what about the cargo... get rid of both and there go all your supposed hazards... planes can now fly safely everywhere ...
Unmanned like the X-47B ... but with a less hazardous cargo!

Last edited by boxcorner; 02-14-2011 at 05:54 AM.
boxcorner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 11:00 AM   #387
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The thing is, do you want someone saying to the stewardess that the device that person is using is safe and the stewardess saying.."Oh then that's OK, keep on using it" and then finding out it's not? They don't know about every electronic device and that means they all have to go off. Yes, I find it annoying knowing my Sony Reader is not an issue. But do I do it? Yes, I do it. I do it because I don't want someone else not doing it with a device that's not safe.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 03:42 PM   #388
Shaggy
Wizard

FYI,

Quote:
Honeywell Avionics has confirmed that its Phase 3 Display Units used by pilots in Boeing 737 aircraft are susceptible to "blanking" in the presence of Wi-Fi equipment.
http://www.zdnet.com.au/wi-fi-proven...-339311113.htm
Old 03-10-2011, 04:58 PM   #389
SameOldStory
My True Self
SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab 2 7.0
That's the first solid info I've seen. And I agree with Jon. I turn my reader off when it's requested on the pa system.

On the other hand we have this from cnet;

iPads could replace paper charts in airline cockpits

I've just started using a flight simulator and recently tried putting a few charts on my reader. Do able, but an iPad would be a lot better.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Dover AFB - Delaware Nav Chart.PDF (213.9 KB, 231 views)
SameOldStory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 05:30 PM   #390
Barcey
Wizard
Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O / Aura HD / Glo / iPad3
And yet the FAA OK's iPads for Pilots. Maybe they're more concerned about the WiFi interfering with their Angry Birds game.

http://www.wired.com/autopia/2011/02/faa-ipad/
Barcey is offline   Reply With Quote