Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-02-2009, 12:43 PM   #31
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
I listen to a lot of indie music, but mostly because the music I like is no longer mainstream. Rockabilly really hasn't been popular widely in decades, with the exception of Brian Setzer. Although you do run across more low quality with indie, because of funding issues or just because they're not good enough to be picked up, it seems to be more of just a difference in styles. Maybe people tend to prefer the mainstream books, and the stylistic differences you can find in indie authors just aren't what they are after.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 05:20 PM   #32
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
I can judge if I like an indie song within 1-2 listens so the time investment isn't too much. With a novel I am looking at investing many hours to ascertain if I like it or not.

I think indie works need better social media sites to talk about books though. Music has youtube, last.fm and many other sites for people to talk about new indie music they like/hate. As far as I am aware there are no huge sites where people discuss indie books and swap reviews. A site that operates like last.fm would make it easier for people to find indie works that suit the genres they are into and are of high quality.

With an indie book that I haven't seen many peer reviews of, I am hesitant to invest time into it in case it turns into rubbish 200 pages in.
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-02-2009, 06:31 PM   #33
charleski
Wizard
charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by stxopher View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
I don't know what indie music or indie publishing is.
Does it mean that their origin is from India?
Generally, it comes from "independent".
But we should take care not to confuse them with Indy publishers, who walk around carrying a whip and wearing Poet Hats.
charleski is offline   Reply With Quote