Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: What type of device do you most like to read books on?
LCD Tablet (iPad, Kindle Fire, Nook Tab, Galaxy Tab, etc) 35 13.62%
E Ink eReader (Kindle, Nook, Kobo, Sony, etc) 200 77.82%
Smartphone (iPhone, Android, Windows, etc) 8 3.11%
Media Player (iPod touch, Galaxy Player, etc) 1 0.39%
Computer (desktop, laptop, ultrabook, netbook, etc) 1 0.39%
Other (please specify) 11 4.28%
I don't read books, but like to hang out here anyway 1 0.39%
Voters: 257. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-22-2012, 02:26 PM   #61
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
I much prefer using an eink reader to any other reading device that I've tried. I do read on my iPad from time to time, and I suspect that reading on the new retina display is a much better experience than the one that I'm used to, so I would be willing to give reading on a hi-res tablet display for extended periods a try, however.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 06:49 PM   #62
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
What type of device do you most like to read books on?
  • LCD Tablet (iPad, Kindle Fire, Nook Tab, Galaxy Tab, etc)
  • E Ink eReader (Kindle, Nook, Kobo, Sony, etc)
  • Smartphone (iPhone, Android, Windows, etc)
  • Media Player (iPod touch, Galaxy Player, etc)
  • Computer (desktop, laptop, ultrabook, netbook, etc)
  • Other (please specify)
  • I don't read books, but like to hang out here anyway
Interesting results so far, especially since a lot of geeks out there proclaim the sure death of eink. I wonder what the proportions would be like on a different book forum.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-23-2012, 08:17 PM   #63
TheFreshPenOfTO
TheFreshPenOfTO began at the beginning.

Device: IPHONE
Iphone for me

It's just so convenient. Always in your pocket and ready to go.
TheFreshPenOfTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 09:41 AM   #64
rkw
Old & Busted Hotness
rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0,Asus TF700T, K1-2-3-Fire
actually my old Sony Clie NX73v running MobiReader or any other reader software which allowed use of the devices jog-wheel to control auto-scrolling speed or simply turned pages. Plus it had that old transreflective screen I could read on outdoors in direct sunlight when you turn off the backlight. You can also remove and put in another battery if needed (I carry two because back then battery runtime was not all that long) In fact I still drag the thing around with books from non-drm places like Baen. It can also play video if transcoded to the proper format but that has become just not worth the effort.

Love my Kindles but for sheer reading ease none of them give me the comfort of reading that trusty, geeze, what 7-8 year old PDA gives me.

After that of course most of the time I reach for a Kindle though I never use my KF for reading as it really just does not hit a sweet spot for me. I read magazines and books needing color on my Asus tf300t.

I've tried lots of pocket sized devices from iPod Touch to Nokia N800 to the Samsung 4" & 5" devices for just reading. Not a single one of them makes the device itself as transparent as that old Clie. Kinda like my old Creative Nomad Zen Xtra with a 100GB HDD added to it is my primary device for audiobooks from Audible. It's old but does things that have been either engineered out or been "improved out" via DRM and other forms of use restrictions.

1. Sony Clie NX73V (paperback only really) - still it is old and there are limitations with formats
2. Pretty much any Kindle or really any EPD black & white reader (mostly paperback type reading)
3. Special use case is my ASUS TF300T for mags, large format books as well as any reference which requires color. And oh yes, to read PDF's simply because of the software I can have for Android. I mean why not since I already own the silly thing.
4. LEAST FAVORITE device of last resort for book reading is my Kindle Fire. The device just does not feel right for book reading. In fact it is why I replaced my KF with the TF300T. Oddly I watch most video on the KF rather than the ASUS.
rkw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 01:15 PM   #65
voracious71
Addict
voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Kindle PW4, Kobo Clara
I voted eink. That's my first preference, but I am able to read on tablets as well. I enjoy reading on them too.
voracious71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-28-2012, 01:44 PM   #66
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
For the serious reader, e-ink is definitely the way to go so I'm not surprised by the results of this poll.
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 02:04 PM   #67
mizzlia
mizzlia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mizzlia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mizzlia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mizzlia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mizzlia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mizzlia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mizzlia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mizzlia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mizzlia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mizzlia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mizzlia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: nook tablet 8gb, samsung galaxy tab 10.1 wifi 32gb
I love reading with the nook tab but on low brightness which is fine for my eyes i also read on eink as my second preference i usually read at night and the nook tab does the trick. I have a samsung galaxy tab which would be my last resort. Its 10.1 and i only read articles from pluse on there no really for reading.
mizzlia is offline   Reply With Quote