Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: What type of device do you most like to read books on?
LCD Tablet (iPad, Kindle Fire, Nook Tab, Galaxy Tab, etc) 35 13.62%
E Ink eReader (Kindle, Nook, Kobo, Sony, etc) 200 77.82%
Smartphone (iPhone, Android, Windows, etc) 8 3.11%
Media Player (iPod touch, Galaxy Player, etc) 1 0.39%
Computer (desktop, laptop, ultrabook, netbook, etc) 1 0.39%
Other (please specify) 11 4.28%
I don't read books, but like to hang out here anyway 1 0.39%
Voters: 257. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-18-2012, 11:45 AM   #46
DreamWriter
Books are brain food.
DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite · Fire HD6/HD8/HD10 · Galaxy Tab A7
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
If you want color, get a Paperwhite. You can get some lovely shades of pink and blue and green...
That's my first laugh of the day.
DreamWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 04:42 PM   #47
Chi Cygni
秋子 permanently lurking
Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Pocketbook Era
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
I will read on anything if I am bored. I even will read the backs of aerosol cans if I forget my book and am in the bathroom.
Apache
and me a tv guide while eating if I don't have anything else. I watch on average 3 films a year...

I voted eink. Cybook Opus is always with me, sometimes replaced by K3. And I have 2 tablets.
Chi Cygni is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-18-2012, 05:21 PM   #48
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
I prop my e-ink reader on the cat shown in my Avatar.
Said cat thinks the best place to lay is right where I would normally have the reader when I read in bed.
I prop up the Cat. The Cat props up my reader...Therefore a Cat must be an important reading device
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 09:41 PM   #49
Anabana
Zealot
Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Fire 7" & 10"; 11"(?)-12" Lenovo laptop
I marked 'other', but probably should/could have marked e-ink. My reader has e-paper... I presume that e-Ink is patented(?) so anything else, similar or not, can't use that designation. They certainly look the same - only some contrast difference.
I've recently had a bunch of my old paperback 'keepers' scanned to pdf, and am slowly trying to learn the process of successfully converting them to something that I can actually read other than on my computer.

Using the previous list, my choice is:
e-ink
paper
LCD tablet
desktop

My cat would never condescend to being a book (or ebook) prop... :^]
Anabana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 01:18 AM   #50
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
I voted e-ink, though I have all major reading aps on my iPad, Nexus7, Phone and iPod touch.
I have managed to read only two books on my iPad, because I gave away my Kindle as a Christmas present and was stuck overseas without it. I literally wanted to cry, and though the books were great, reading on the iPad screen was such a drag.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-19-2012, 01:30 AM   #51
spellbanisher
Guru
spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle keyboard, kindle fire hd, S4, Nook hd+
I prefer to read on eink. I just like the way eink looks.
spellbanisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 03:50 PM   #52
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
I seem to be particularly enjoying pbooks lately although I've loved my Sony for the past 5+ years and my iPad more recently. There's nothing like the heft of a tome in my lap, being able to underline, scribble in the margins, and read my marginalia from years past, shoving a dog-eared paperback in my backpocket carelessly, etc. Yes, and the smell of those beautiful old ones that usher in a bit of nostalgia. Dust jackets, cheap used bookstores, and libraries!

Sorry. Got carried away.

Oh, yes, and I agree with DiapDealer that on the couch is superb.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 06:00 PM   #53
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Light emitting devices (like computer screens or Ipads) would hurt my eyes when reading for a long period so I'll stick with e-ink.
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 11:33 PM   #54
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
Other. Another JetBook Lite with a reflective monochrome TFT screen. I've tried my Dad's Kindle and my wife's Ipad -- I like my JBL better.
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 12:50 AM   #55
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
eink reader for me. I love my Kindle.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 07:17 AM   #56
melancholia
Nameless Being

Media Player - I prefer reading text-only novels on my iPod Touch. I do have an e-ink device (Amazon's current non-touch Kindle) which I use when I'm at home, in a well-lit room and want to read for extended periods of time without worrying about battery life, but in terms of size, weight, portability, screen clarity, eye comfort and being able to listen to music while I read, the iPod Touch has everything that I need. I think that I'm in a significant minority in that I find back-lit, high-resolution, LCD screens far easier on my eyes than e-ink. The latter fatigues me quickly.

My preference in the device types listed is as follows:
  1. Media Player
  2. E-ink Reader
  3. LCD Tablet
  4. Smartphone
  5. Computer
  6. Other (Paper)
Old 10-20-2012, 09:49 AM   #57
tedcross
Member Retired
tedcross began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS300, Nokia E61i, Moto E3
I prefer Smartphone

Although I have both a Kindle and a Sony PRS-300 I prefer reading on a Nokia E61 smartphone. Reasons:
1. It is smaller and lighter than the eReaders.
2. I do not have to take two devices when travelling.
3. The Symbian OS is fast and robust.
4. The bright, colour screen is easier to read in artificial light.
I cannot, however, read DRM EPUB and Kindle eBooks on the Nokia. This is not a major problem because I read mostly out-of-copyright titles from websites such as Manybooks or eBooks I have created myself.
tedcross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 10:47 AM   #58
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
I use my Kindle Keyboard quite a bit. I make sure to have it with me when I go out so that if I have a few minutes I can pick up where I left off in my latest read.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 06:44 PM   #59
country0129
Country0129
country0129 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.country0129 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.country0129 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.country0129 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.country0129 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.country0129 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.country0129 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.country0129 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.country0129 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.country0129 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.country0129 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kindle Fire, PC
Favorite!

We use Calibre to manage over 10,000 ebooks and about 1500 traditional books. We have 3 Kindle Keyboards and a Kindle Fire. I also read sometimes with Kindle for PC. IMHO, there's nothing that can compare to a Kindle Keyboard (seconded by 3 other family members!) with an add-on cover and light. We probably spend, compiled, over 20 hours a day reading. The computer makes my eyes water over time and affects my sleep later on. The Kindle KB is just vastly superior to every genre I've ever used, including traditional books.
country0129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 08:14 PM   #60
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by country0129 View Post
We use Calibre to manage over 10,000 ebooks and about 1500 traditional books. We have 3 Kindle Keyboards and a Kindle Fire. I also read sometimes with Kindle for PC. IMHO, there's nothing that can compare to a Kindle Keyboard (seconded by 3 other family members!) with an add-on cover and light. We probably spend, compiled, over 20 hours a day reading. The computer makes my eyes water over time and affects my sleep later on. The Kindle KB is just vastly superior to every genre I've ever used, including traditional books.
I know that eye watering feeling from staring at the computer well. Jeff Bezos once compared looking at a backlit computer screen (LCD) to trying to read with someone shining a flashlight in your face. (during his interview with Charlie Rose when the Kindle was 1st coming out). With the Kindle you don't have that problem. If I have to put the Kindle down and stop reading it's because I'm tired and need some sleep, not because my eyes are going blurry from staring at the screen for too long.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote