Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: What type of device do you most like to read books on?
LCD Tablet (iPad, Kindle Fire, Nook Tab, Galaxy Tab, etc) 35 13.62%
E Ink eReader (Kindle, Nook, Kobo, Sony, etc) 200 77.82%
Smartphone (iPhone, Android, Windows, etc) 8 3.11%
Media Player (iPod touch, Galaxy Player, etc) 1 0.39%
Computer (desktop, laptop, ultrabook, netbook, etc) 1 0.39%
Other (please specify) 11 4.28%
I don't read books, but like to hang out here anyway 1 0.39%
Voters: 257. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-17-2012, 07:35 PM   #31
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I mostly like to read books on a couch, but I didn't see it as an option.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 07:50 PM   #32
ClareK
Connoisseur
ClareK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ClareK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ClareK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ClareK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ClareK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ClareK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ClareK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ClareK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ClareK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ClareK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ClareK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Laser
I've selected "other", since my Migear ereader is not e-ink, it has a TFT colour screen. When I bought it about nine months ago I just wanted to see whether I would actually use an ereader. (Apparently my daughter had rejected her husband's suggestion that they buy me a Kobo for Christmas because she thought I was too attached to my paper books to use one!) I discovered that the ereader is much more convenient, especially when I read in bed, or when we are going on holiday. I had planned to upgrade to a Kobo or a Kindle, but so far I can't see any reason to. I have audiobooks and photos on it as well as ebooks. My only criticism is the short battery life, but I have bought a power charger, which means that I can still read while it's charging if necessary.
ClareK is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-17-2012, 08:17 PM   #33
grumbles
Addict
grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pandigital Novel (Black), T-2 and 3, Nexus 7
In my (never) humble opinion, the Sony 650 is the epitome of reading devices. However for PDF files, my Asus Transformer TF101 is the device of choice. The 650 is light, compact and goes everywhere with me, requires charging no more than once a week. The TF101 is big, bulky and needs to be charged daily. The 650 is usable anywhere where I could normally read a book. The TF101 is useless in sunlight but then again the 650 is useless in the dark. I find lcd and e-ink (assuming adequate resolution) to be equally easy (or hard) to read. I've been eyeing the Toshiba 13" tablet. Priced beyond my reach at the moment but it would be a great PDF reader.

I looked at the latest Kobo offerings a few days ago and left massively underwhelmed. Didn't like the lighting on the glo (very uneven over the surface) and I don't like the lack of buttons. I use both buttons and touch. I did like the size (and price) of the mini but without buttons...

The feature I like best about the 650 is that it is just a reader. The tablets and new readers seem to be more about getting me to buy stuff. I am not going to buy anything, any time, ever from my reader. Please remove all the shopping crap from my reader!
grumbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 09:05 PM   #34
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
I answered "Other" on grounds that a large print book and the Kindle Keyboard are tied.

The selection of books I can get through Overdrive is greater, and of more interest to me, than the selection of large print books in the local library, but if the book is easily available either way, I've no preference. (My eyesight is OK, I just like bigger print.)

If you asked what my favorite newspaper reading device is, there is no contest. The Kindle is hands down superior to newsprint.

I may have been a little influenced here in that clumsy me, once again, cracked the Kindle screen tonight. This does not happen to print books.

Our son takes his on backbacking trips through Europe and, now, East Asia -- no problem. And I just elbowed mine -- through the closed Amazon brand case -- in the house.

Amazon is sending a free replacement. The only time they charged me is when I ran it through the wash
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 09:35 PM   #35
cfrizz
Wizard
cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung 54A, Kobo Libra H2O, Samsung S6 Lite
You forgot the option of all the above. I like reading on all of them.
cfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-17-2012, 09:42 PM   #36
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
I will read on anything if I am bored. I even will read the backs of aerosol cans if I forget my book and am in the bathroom.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 10:31 PM   #37
Marycv
Member Retired
Marycv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marycv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marycv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marycv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marycv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marycv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marycv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marycv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marycv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marycv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marycv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy 2
My favourite device is Samsung Galaxy 2 (7 inch). I've tried many ereaders, and find this is the best one.
Marycv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 12:50 AM   #38
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Three years after its release, I'm still quite satisfied with the reflective TFT screen of my jetBook Lite.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 12:55 AM   #39
ElsieC
Zealot
ElsieC has become one with the cosmosElsieC has become one with the cosmosElsieC has become one with the cosmosElsieC has become one with the cosmosElsieC has become one with the cosmosElsieC has become one with the cosmosElsieC has become one with the cosmosElsieC has become one with the cosmosElsieC has become one with the cosmosElsieC has become one with the cosmosElsieC has become one with the cosmos

Device: Sony PRS-505
I chose "other" because I prefer listening to audio books. I guess that isn't technically "reading" but is actually listening. For reading, I prefer e-ink (Sony PRS-505).
ElsieC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 12:57 AM   #40
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
I prefer e-ink readers. I have tried reading on my 10" tablet, it is too bulky for general reading, maybe a 7" tablet would work but I doubt it unless I was trying to read a graphic novel. Most of my reading is on the train with variable light, so the reflective screen on my Kindle is great and I am happy, although a paperwhite is very tempting.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 02:18 AM   #41
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Had you asked this question 6 months ago, I would have firmly said my Sony 950 eInk device. But then I received a Nook Tablet as a birthday gift (because of the deal for it with a subscription to the New York Times), and now I simply do not pickup my eInk device. I read on the Nook Tablet for at least 4 hours a day and find it a much more rewarding experience than the eInk. I don't play games or watch videos on it; I just use it for reading, which is somewhat of a waste for a tablet, but I really like the device. The negative is if I want to read where the light is bright, such as outdoors. Then the eInk is far superior. But I rarely read outdoors, so the Nook Tablet has become the device of my choice.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 03:27 AM   #42
DreamWriter
Books are brain food.
DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite · Fire HD6/HD8/HD10 · Galaxy Tab A7
I prefer to read on my Kindle Keyboard, but I do use my tablet too. Although the Kindle is easier to read for extended periods, sometimes I just want to see color.
DreamWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 06:34 AM   #43
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
I prefer e-ink due to size, weight and battery life. My NC and KF1 are ok to read on but too heavy and bulky. I enjoy all of my e-ink devices. The ones I take out of the house are usually the Sony T1 in Sony cover or the Paperwhite in Amazon cover, as both are the thinnest and lightest. Or if I haven't read my news, I'll take my Kindle keyboard 3G. It is a little bigger and bulkier but quite acceptable to carry around.
booklover6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 06:56 AM   #44
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWriter View Post
I prefer to read on my Kindle Keyboard, but I do use my tablet too. Although the Kindle is easier to read for extended periods, sometimes I just want to see color.
If you want color, get a Paperwhite. You can get some lovely shades of pink and blue and green...
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 08:26 AM   #45
Marrella
Cambrian crab
Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Pocket Book, Kobo, Sony
I prefer e-ink over dead tree books and over my iPod Touch, though I use it for reading when I don't want to take a big bag with me. And while I mostly read on my Kindle Keyboard now, I still like my old Sony PRS-505, though I mostly read short fiction on it as well as the occasional fan fiction novel.
Marrella is offline   Reply With Quote