Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: What type of device do you most like to read books on?
LCD Tablet (iPad, Kindle Fire, Nook Tab, Galaxy Tab, etc) 35 13.62%
E Ink eReader (Kindle, Nook, Kobo, Sony, etc) 200 77.82%
Smartphone (iPhone, Android, Windows, etc) 8 3.11%
Media Player (iPod touch, Galaxy Player, etc) 1 0.39%
Computer (desktop, laptop, ultrabook, netbook, etc) 1 0.39%
Other (please specify) 11 4.28%
I don't read books, but like to hang out here anyway 1 0.39%
Voters: 257. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-17-2012, 12:25 PM   #16
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
Is paper not deserving of its own option?

(I've already voted for eInk, myself.)
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 12:32 PM   #17
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
I prefer eink ereaders. LCD displays bother my eyes for extended reading. They're fine for magazines and short stories, though. My favorite ereader is the Kindle 4, because it fits my reading style so well.

I look at ereaders as electronic paperbacks. All I do is read. I don't use any of the features like underlining, highlighting, bookmarking, dictionary, etc. When I'm done with the book, chances are I'll never read it again.
This is essentially me (sub Sony t1 for K4). I also read PDFs for research on the tablet, or anything else that requires notes, etc.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-17-2012, 12:55 PM   #18
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
I never thought I would say this but my IPad is my primary reader now. I rarely use the Kindle.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 01:12 PM   #19
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
E-ink, followed by my Samsung Galaxy Note. It is possible for me to read fairly comfortably on the Note for up to an hour, but only using a theme in Mantano that grays down my screen similarly to my Sony 350 or T1.

My favorite e-ink device is my Sony 350. My eyes just really like the higher resolution and crispy text.

Last edited by graycyn; 10-17-2012 at 01:15 PM.
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 01:33 PM   #20
david_e
Seriously?
david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini, iWhatever
I currently only use my iPad.

I'm giving eink another try, device is in a UPS warehouse somewhere. If next week's Apple event doesn't produce a minipad, or if I don't like it, I'm going to order a second eink device, something with Glo-power.
david_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-17-2012, 01:35 PM   #21
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Are you hiding in caves trying to avoid capture by the cavalry?
Shhhhhhhhhhhhhh.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 01:41 PM   #22
curtw
Outside of a dog
curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrNefario View Post
Is paper not deserving of its own option?
Yes, absolutely. My vote is for other--paper. eInk is a great convenience for traveling and storage, but for pure reading itself, nothing for me beats paper.
curtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 01:44 PM   #23
curtw
Outside of a dog
curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5thWiggle View Post
I voted LCD Tablet as my favorite book reading devices, however my essential book reading devices are pictured below.
Beware...
curtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 01:45 PM   #24
hrosvit
Moron
hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 3, Galaxy Note 2, Nook ST
There is a difference between which I use most often, and which I prefer. By a wide margin, I use my iPad to read on most frequently (probably 90% of the time). But that's not because it's the best device for reading (while the LCD screen doesn't bother my eyes at all, it is virtually worthless in the sun); it's because it's the most flexible device.

I can't stand carrying more devices than I have to when I travel. So the iPad goes with me for email/web surfing/reading/videos, and the e-ink Nook stays home on the dresser. Its specialization kills it for me. I know others value a highly specialized device; my own preference is for a multi-use device (as long as the performance in those multiple uses doesn't suffer too much).
hrosvit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 01:53 PM   #25
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by curtw View Post
Beware...
A book lover's worse nightmare

My favorite episode
tubemonkey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 05:00 PM   #26
Miss
Connoisseur
Miss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Miss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Miss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Miss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Miss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Miss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Miss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Miss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Miss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Miss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Miss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook 360+
Quote:
Originally Posted by hrosvit View Post
There is a difference between which I use most often, and which I prefer...
This.

My preferences for reading, removing all other factors, are:

1. Paper
2. E ink device
3. LCD tablet
4. Desktop

However adding in various other factors my current most often use is:

1. E ink device
2. Desktop
3. Paper
4. LCD tablet (at zero because I don't have one)
Miss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 05:22 PM   #27
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe,Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
I have 2 kindles, a tablet and a smartphone but by far I prefer to use my e-ink devices.
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 06:02 PM   #28
jabberwock_11
Addict
jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Aluratek Libre Pro
I have to admit that I am a little unsure of how to answer this one. I love eink and I think as far as reading goes that it is by far the best medium for electronic reading, but I have largely abandoned my eink devices for my tablet. Yes, it can cause eye strain, and has less battery life, and is heavy by comparison...but it is the device that I use for EVERYTHING, and I plug it in every night anyway, and the accessing and transferring of books is far easier on it than on an eink device. I can read multiple formats and if I don't like the UI I can just try a different ereader app. While I believe eink devices are great things, I have to admit that mine gather dust while my tablet is right there with Aldiko ready and waiting in the background.

Well, I never thought I would say that. I always shook my head in wonder at folks who touted the greatness of ANY lcd display. I guess I have seen the other side of the street on this one (and this side has a yogurt shop and tattoo emporium called The Inky Yogurt, so I guess I'm staying here...come on over the yogurt's good and the screens are all lit up).

Last edited by jabberwock_11; 10-17-2012 at 06:05 PM.
jabberwock_11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 06:39 PM   #29
Nilotikus
Nameless Being

Not replied in the poll firstly because I've had little opportunity to try most of the devices mentioned. Secondly because it depends what your looking at. PDF's with lots of photos look great on my PC. For text only stuff though I use my Kobo e-ink reader.
Old 10-17-2012, 07:22 PM   #30
sufue
lost in my e-reader...
sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Sony T1, Nook ST Glowlight, Galaxy Tab 7 Plus
Smart phone (Galaxy S2) all the way...

Except in bright sunlight, when any of my e-ink devices will do...

Except when reading raw .pdf scans, when the bigger size of my Galaxy Tab 7 Plus is nice....

Except when reading on the bike at the gym, where I don't want to risk any of my newer e-readers, so I still read on my old iPaq PDA, which has proven to be remarkably sweat resistant....

But probably 80% of the time on the smart phone. The display doesn't bother my eyes, although I know it does for some, and the backlight is great for most of the places I read.
sufue is offline   Reply With Quote