Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 07-15-2011, 02:29 PM   #1
martienne
.~^пиратка^~.
martienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshes

Device: Onyx Boox M92
Reading Kindle or Nook Book on a different device?

I am going to buy (yes, you heard me right!) a book which is only available in Kindle or Nook format.

My reader is an Irex so I guess I will have to do some ripping before I can read it on my own device? (oh the idiocy of DRM)

I have looked around for information on this, but I don't have hours to spend on researching, so please forgive me if I am asking about something that is well known...

The question is: How hard is it to rip Kindle/Nook books for the purpose of reading a LEGALLY purchased book on another device?
Which format if any, is the easier to rip, i.e. what would you recommend for a beginner?

The book is Davita's Harp by Chaim Potok, by the way.

Sharing is caring... xxx
martienne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 03:00 PM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by martienne View Post
The question is: How hard is it to rip Kindle/Nook books for the purpose of reading a LEGALLY purchased book on another device?
Using a Calibre plugin or DeDRM Drop is quite easy once everything is setup.

Quote:
Which format if any, is the easier to rip, i.e. what would you recommend for a beginner?
They're both the same level of difficulty IMO.

Quote:
The book is Davita's Harp by Chaim Potok, by the way.
FYI, It is offered in regular Adobe DRM'd ePub at Books on Board, WH Smith, Waterstones and elsewhere...
http://www.booksonboard.com/index.ph...ok&BOOK=666639
http://www.waterstones.com/waterston.../0/4294964587/
http://www.whsmith.co.uk/CatalogAndS...=OD00318470410
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-15-2011, 03:12 PM   #3
martienne
.~^пиратка^~.
martienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshes

Device: Onyx Boox M92
Thanks Brian! That answers all my questions in one go... :-)

I can't imagine why I got no hits on Waterstones and WH Smith when I searched for this... even though I am searching on Google UK as my home page. I am in Latvia at the moment though, maybe they gave me a different result set for that reason.

Oh well ---- I'll buy the cheapest and I don't mind having a go at ripping the Kindle/nook one anyway.

I wonder how those limitations on the PDF and Epub work though?
I have a serious allergy against DRM and I feel I can't enjoy reading the book knowing that it is DRM:d... I might have to remove it before I can read the book...

Last edited by martienne; 07-15-2011 at 03:19 PM.
martienne is offline   Reply With Quote