Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 10-18-2009, 11:24 AM   #1
gerryR
gerryR began at the beginning.

Device: none
Suitable Reader For This size docs?

Hi All,

I'm looking at getting an ebook reader, I like to look of the Sony Pocket Edition, looks like a nice size and I don't really like touch screens. However the majority of books I'd be reading would be pdf. I know it depends on the type of PDF and its contents so here's a link of a typical doc I'd be looking at.

Sample PDF

Just wondering if the 5" screen would be up to that size/ type of doc? If not what would be a good alternative.

Thanks for any help!
gR
gerryR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 12:28 PM   #2
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by gerryR View Post
Hi All,

I'm looking at getting an ebook reader, I like to look of the Sony Pocket Edition, looks like a nice size and I don't really like touch screens. However the majority of books I'd be reading would be pdf. I know it depends on the type of PDF and its contents so here's a link of a typical doc I'd be looking at.

Sample PDF

Just wondering if the 5" screen would be up to that size/ type of doc? If not what would be a good alternative.

Thanks for any help!
gR
I'll take a pic of your PDF in a few hours, at the latest tomorrow.
For now: In my experience, PDFs all are readable on Sony 300, but most of them aren't fun.
For me, it's simply not enough text information per page. That's not Sony specific, same with Cybook Opus. It's simply the 5" display.
You always juggle between "text not readable anymore because of zoom level" and "not enough text per page".
I clearly prefer 6" in general and use my 5" units only as a 2nd (and 3rd) reader.
For PDFs, given the specific structure (I don't like reflow for PDFs but want to remain the layout "intact"), even 6" to me is critical.
My favorite for PDFs still is iRex iLiad.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-18-2009, 02:26 PM   #3
gerryR

Thanks for the reply, I'll start looking at >5" screens so

*edit*

Now looking at the Sony 505, I think it's an older generation but does it lack anything in terms of screen quality over the newer gen Pocked Edition device?

Thanks
gR

(PS- looked at the iRex, really nice device but well out of my price range )

Last edited by gerryR; 10-18-2009 at 03:22 PM.
Old 10-18-2009, 03:59 PM   #4
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thanks for the reply, I'll start looking at >5" screens so

*edit*

Now looking at the Sony 505, I think it's an older generation but does it lack anything in terms of screen quality over the newer gen Pocked Edition device?

Thanks
gR

(PS- looked at the iRex, really nice device but well out of my price range )
Actually, Sony 505 still has one of the best displays out there.
The new units have no improvement concerning screen quality.
Sony 505 is one of the most sold units and absolutely still can be recommended. And you should get very low prices, as long as stock lasts (it's end of life, but don't worry).
Old 10-19-2009, 12:14 PM   #5
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
Hi All,

Sample PDF

Thanks for any help!
gR
Your PDF on Sony 300 ("Pocket Edition").
Sorry, couldn't get better quality.
Certainly readable.
But in my opinion, like I've said before: Either too small or not enough information per page.
7459: Standard zoom
7462: Large zoom (you see the "L" next to the battery on the lower left)
7461: Medium zoom ("M")
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC07459.jpg
Views:	299
Size:	910.8 KB
ID:	37677   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC07462.jpg
Views:	274
Size:	946.0 KB
ID:	37678   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC07461.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	961.9 KB
ID:	37679  
Advert
Old 10-19-2009, 04:14 PM   #6
gerryR

Thanks a million for taking the time to do that, to be honest the smaller one look more than legible but I'd imagine the extra inch on the 505 would make things a bit easier on the eyes.

Thanks again!
Gerry
Old 10-19-2009, 05:02 PM   #7
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
Thanks a million for taking the time to do that, to be honest the smaller one look more than legible but I'd imagine the extra inch on the 505 would make things a bit easier on the eyes.

Thanks again!
Gerry
1" surprisingly can make quite a difference. And for the housing, Sony 300 and Sony 505 as well are just 1" apart.
But it's all about the source material. If you prepare your PDFs for, let's say, DIN A5, it's working fine of course. DIN A4 is hard to read though.
Personally, I don't want to touch my PDFs at all, I want to see them in their original layout. That's why I prefer zoom over reflow for PDFs. But that's because I'm reading contracts or proposals. For other books it would be no problem.

Last edited by mgmueller; 10-19-2009 at 06:26 PM.