Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 04-09-2010, 08:23 PM   #1
Edmund
Edmund began at the beginning.

Device: none
2nd one in 4 months

I think it's time someone did an investigation into Sony's garbage e-readers.
I received a PRS-600 for Christmas and it died in March. The replacement just bit the dust. Between the poor reliability and the 30% in the the price of books, maybe, just maybe, e-readers are an idea that's not quite ready for prime time. Or maybe it's just Sony that's a piece of c__p. If could get a refund, I definitively would go with a Kindle, two or three years from now.
The touch screen quit right in the middle of good read. As you can tell, I am extremely P--ed.

Is any else having these kind of problems?

Thanks,
Ed
Edmund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 08:31 PM   #2
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
As far as the the touch screen not working, some have found that a crumb-like substance was lodged between the screen and the metal case. Sliding something between the screen and the metal dislodged whatever was there. Functionality was restored. Give it a try.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-10-2010, 06:28 AM   #3
Mike_73
Guru
Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-600, iPad 16GB Wifi, Kindle Voyage, Nexus 6, Razr HD
Edmund, I can feel with you concerning stuff that doesn't work. Allthough I never had any problems with any Sony product I bought. Right now, I'm on my second Sony reader without any problem, but maybe I was just lucky.
I did have such problems with other brands already and know what you're talking about. In your case, I would certainly try to get a refund and get me another reader (maybe if you've checked for the crumb thingy first).

Here in Germany, the only reader you can get in stores is the Sony. I'm the "cash and carry" type of guy, meaning I order online only if I cannot get it in store (or if it's really much much cheaper).

Again, I'm sorry for your bad experience.
Mike_73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 09:15 AM   #4
raac
Zealot
raac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950
Sorry for you bad experience, but it could just be bad luck. I don't think the Sonys are particularly unreliable.
raac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 03:40 PM   #5
Edmund
Edmund began at the beginning.

Device: none
Thank you SCION. That's what it was. The Sony tech had me do a couple of hard resets. Of course then I had to restore everything that's on the reader.

Maybe it's not good idea to take the reader to the restaurant. ;~D

Thanks again,

Ed
Edmund is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-10-2010, 03:44 PM   #6
Mike_73
Guru
Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.

Great to hear it's working again. And good also, that this seems to be a common problem. So I know what to do once my reader gets stuck.
Old 04-10-2010, 04:40 PM   #7
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Glad it worked out Edmund!!! You're very welcome (thanks for the Karma). Just pass that info along if someone else has a problem.
Old 04-11-2010, 05:52 AM   #8
Mike_73
Guru

Scion, how satisfied are you with your 900 after using it for quite a while now? I'm still a little confused why sony went with such a rather odd display format. Most print medias format is more like the 505 or 600 in terms of page side ratio. So if I would buy a new reader, I would certainly want it to be more than 6", but I would prefer the traditional ratio (unless I can get the point why the 900s ratio is so much better).
Old 04-11-2010, 12:55 PM   #9
SCION
Séduisant

I'm STILL extremely pleased with the $400 purchase. I will admit that when the price for the iPad ($499) was initially released I had second thoughts. I then focused on why I chose the 900 (non-PDF ebooks, features, and portability) and not just make a dollars and cents comparison to the iPad. The dimensions of the screen are odd, but for some reason it works for non-PDFs. People liken it to a paperback book. I plan on buying an iPad at the end of the year (for PDFs) if nothing else is on the market. I won't be getting rid of the 900.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_73 View Post
Scion, how satisfied are you with your 900 after using it for quite a while now? I'm still a little confused why sony went with such a rather odd display format. Most print medias format is more like the 505 or 600 in terms of page side ratio. So if I would buy a new reader, I would certainly want it to be more than 6", but I would prefer the traditional ratio (unless I can get the point why the 900s ratio is so much better).
Old 04-11-2010, 01:29 PM   #10
Mike_73
Guru

Thanks for the inof, Scion. I can really see the point for books (novels and such). I guess I still wait on the regular 3:4 ratio in color (but preferably eInk). The Ipad to me seems too computer like. And for computers, I would rather go with something Windows like. It's not that I wouldn't give the Apple UI a chance, but I'm using Windows at work, at home and everyone else I know runs windows...
Old 04-11-2010, 02:42 PM   #11
sjb
sjb has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony PRS 600
Good to hear your 600 is working again Edmund. Bravo on the troubleshooting Scion. Never would have thought of that as being a problem.
I'm still happy with my 600. Dropped it today onto the driveway. I gritted my teeth as I picked it up but when I hit the start button it worked fine with no screen damage. The leather case surely helped.

Now as for my luck with Sony laptops. Nevermore.
sjb is offline   Reply With Quote