Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 10-09-2009, 05:41 AM   #61
PieOPah
Addict
PieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony PRS-505
I've just bought this from BoB.

Couldn't find the E-book version in the UK... Great that there were no resrictions stopping me from buying!
PieOPah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 05:49 AM   #62
mores
Guru
mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.

Device: iPhone
I have fond memories of Douglas Adams. His HHGG, which I hadn't read yet and which caused me to feel like I had this huge gap in education, got me started in eBooks, and I started it off with eBook piracy
It was so simple to get the LITs.

That was 7 years ago, or something like that. I recently tried reading the HHGG again, but I had to put the "book" down since I couldn't stand his absurd style.
mores is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-09-2009, 06:48 AM   #63
Crowl
Wizard
Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, PW Signature edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by PieOPah View Post
I've just bought this from BoB.

Couldn't find the E-book version in the UK... Great that there were no resrictions stopping me from buying!
I tried to track down the uk version too since it would have presumably had the better cover image, but no luck, its like some publishers object to making money.
Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 06:54 AM   #64
PieOPah
Addict
PieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony PRS-505
I am surprised since his last book Nation was available as E-book.
Saying that, the same thing happened with Tom Holt's latest book. Released new book in Ebook format then the next one nada... At least with Pratchett I had another source!
PieOPah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 03:56 PM   #65
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy_ahn View Post
[deleted]...when dan brown is the best author to make a novel? he invented the bestseller.
Please refrain from using foul language. Thank you.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-04-2010, 06:40 PM   #66
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennD View Post
Terry Pratchett ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayspooled View Post
... Pratchett ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowl View Post
... Pratchett ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superlucky View Post
... Terry Pratchett ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
... Pratchett ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
... Terry Pratchett ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
... Pratchett ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by PieOPah View Post
... Terry Pratchett ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by stustaff View Post
... Pratchett ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowl View Post
... Pratchett ...
Thanks to all of you who recommended Pratchett. I just finished my first Diskworld novel, and can now say I hardily agree with your recommendation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDBoblo View Post
I can't say I find Pratchett to be extremely funny, but his stuff is a decent read generally. ... it's more smiling-amusing rather than hilarious.
And thank you for that sort of a Pratchett recommendation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by montsnmags View Post
HERESY! LET'S BURN HIM! ... Okay, forgiven.
A special bucket of thanks to montsnmags for defending Pratchett's honor!

Thanks to ShortNCuddlyAm, too, for the way she compared other writers to Pratchett in a positive light.

KUDOS TO ALL!
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 12:18 AM   #67
Solitaire1
Samurai Lizard
Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NookColor
Quote:
Originally Posted by mores View Post
I have fond memories of Douglas Adams. His HHGG, which I hadn't read yet and which caused me to feel like I had this huge gap in education, got me started in eBooks, and I started it off with eBook piracy
It was so simple to get the LITs.

That was 7 years ago, or something like that. I recently tried reading the HHGG again, but I had to put the "book" down since I couldn't stand his absurd style.
I thought I was alone in this. I've tried a few times to read the entire Hitchhiker's Saga, but I tend to get lost somewhere in the middle of the second book. I enjoy Adams' style (he wrote one of my favorite Doctor Who stories, The Pirate Planet), but his writing tends to confuse me a bit in the long form.

Based on the recommendations in this thread, I'll have to give Pratchett a try. The only experience I've had with his story telling is the Discworld video game for the Playstation (very good game with Rincewind [voiced by Eric Idle] as the hero(?)). If that the humor in his books is similar to that in the game, I think it would definitely be worth a read.
Solitaire1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 02:42 AM   #68
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solitaire1 View Post
I thought I was alone in this. I've tried a few times to read the entire Hitchhiker's Saga, but I tend to get lost somewhere in the middle of the second book. I enjoy Adams' style (he wrote one of my favorite Doctor Who stories, The Pirate Planet), but his writing tends to confuse me a bit in the long form.
Hitchhiker's was originally a radio series, and that's still my favourite way to enjoy it.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 02:51 AM   #69
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
Hitchhiker's was originally a radio series, and that's still my favourite way to enjoy it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
That was my intro to Douglas (we Yanks are always behind the curve when it comes to BBC offerings). The series was broadcast on one of our National Public Radio outlets. At the time, I assumed it was based on the books. It was only later I discovered that the radio series preceded the books.
Old 01-07-2010, 10:47 PM   #70
Solitaire1
Samurai Lizard
Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
That was my intro to Douglas (we Yanks are always behind the curve when it comes to BBC offerings). The series was broadcast on one of our National Public Radio outlets. At the time, I assumed it was based on the books. It was only later I discovered that the radio series preceded the books.
I will have to look into getting that version of the story. It's possible that Adams' work works best in audio form.

I get the same feeling with Garrison Keillor. I enjoy his stories when he tells them, but I didn't enjoy his stories when I read them. The way he tells stories adds so much to them.
Old 01-08-2010, 04:50 AM   #71
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solitaire1 View Post
I will have to look into getting that version of the story. It's possible that Adams' work works best in audio form.

I get the same feeling with Garrison Keillor. I enjoy his stories when he tells them, but I didn't enjoy his stories when I read them. The way he tells stories adds so much to them.
The first two books cover the same material as the original series. I just discovered via Google that 25 years later, the last three books were made into a radio series.

Here's a BBC link (last updated in 2005).
Old 01-10-2010, 05:10 AM   #72
Billjr13
Addict
Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 700 & 650
RIP Mr Adams! But remember when one door closes another one opens. Think of books and authors the same way. When one author goes away, eventually another will take his place and sometimes the journey is as fun as the thrill of finding them.
Billjr13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 03:29 PM   #73
Solitaire1
Samurai Lizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billjr13 View Post
RIP Mr Adams! But remember when one door closes another one opens. Think of books and authors the same way. When one author goes away, eventually another will take his place and sometimes the journey is as fun as the thrill of finding them.
Well said! I'm a comic book reader and having the same characters written by many different creative teams is something that is normal for me. Sometimes, I have the good fortune of having one excellent creative team succeeded by another. If the creative team is excellent and they leave a title, I will sometimes follow them to the new title they are working on.

I think the same thing will happen with Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy. From what I've read, the series itself will continue under a new author, and someone else will step in and provide a new book/series in the same genre.