Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 03-30-2013, 01:15 PM   #1
William Ockham
Enthusiast
William Ockham can illuminate an eclipseWilliam Ockham can illuminate an eclipseWilliam Ockham can illuminate an eclipseWilliam Ockham can illuminate an eclipseWilliam Ockham can illuminate an eclipseWilliam Ockham can illuminate an eclipseWilliam Ockham can illuminate an eclipseWilliam Ockham can illuminate an eclipseWilliam Ockham can illuminate an eclipseWilliam Ockham can illuminate an eclipseWilliam Ockham can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Kindle Keyboard
Kindle Fire HD owners: Help improve Kindle ebook formatting

I am developing some CSS snippets for KF8 to enable device detection from within Kindle ebooks. The most obvious use case for this is for authors who wish to display color graphics on the Kindle Fire family of devices while displaying greyscale graphics for the E Ink Kindles. I will be placing this CSS in the public domain when I've verified that it works properly.

I am using CSS media queries that depend on the hardware on the device. That means that I cannot test these on the Previewer and I do not have access to every KF8-compatible Kindle device. I am looking for volunteers to load the attached .mobi file on their Kindle Fire HD and report the results.
When you open the attached file (which is the first chapter of Moby Dick), you should see something like this:

Chapter 1: Looming

This is a 7 inch Kindle Fire HD.

device pixel ratio: 1.3

device-height: 1280

device-width: 8000

Call me Ishmael....

Obviously, the correct device and hardware results should be displayed, i.e. if you have a Kindle Fire HD 8.9", the second line will say "This is an 8.9 inch Kindle Fire HD."

I have already had a good response from folks with the Kindle E Ink devices and Kindle apps on another thread, but none from Fire HD owners. I would greatly appreciate it if a few of you would load this file and reply back to this thread with the results. I especially need to know if the HD devices report incorrect or incomplete results. For example, the first gen Kindle Fire does not report device-height or device-width.

What do you get for participating this research? My gratitude and the warm fuzzy feeling of helping to improve the quality of Kindle ebooks. Participants will be listed in the credits (CSS comments) as testers, if they wish.
William Ockham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 06:47 PM   #2
SampleAndy
Addict
SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW, KFire HD, KFire, KTD 3g, KT, K4B, K4S, K3g, K3g SO, K2, K1
Chapter 1: Looming

This is a Kindle Fire (non-HD)

device pixel ration: 1.0

I tried getting a picture, but my phone couldn't do anything that was worth trying to post.

(sigh) Unfortunately, it IS a Kindle Fire HD!
System 7.30_user_3013320
Serial Number D059 A0A0 XXXX XXXX

You might get better results if you actually attached the file to the post.

Last edited by SampleAndy; 04-05-2013 at 06:50 PM.
SampleAndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert