Notices

Old 07-02-2012, 03:37 PM   #1
XMasterrrr
XMasterrrr began at the beginning.

Device: none
Galaxy Tab 10.1 for Technical books

Hello,

i need an e-reader for "Heavy" technical textbooks

and it come to my mind to buy the Galaxy tab 10.1 for it, but does it really work good? as it's not a 4:3 device like iPad and i'm as a Linux user and android lover i wanted it to be an android tablet, but do you recommend it?

Thanks.
XMasterrrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 06:17 PM   #2
Adoby
Handy Elephant
Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Thinkpad E595, Ubuntu Mate, Huawei Mediapad 5, Bouye Likebook Plus
I'm also a Linux user, but I have a Motorola Xoom, not a Galaxy Tab 10.1. But they both have very similar hardware and screen resolution.

Works very fine with PDF:s. You can easily zoom and pan if you need a closer look. Recommended!

I use the Manatano eReader app on the tablet, and Calibre to handle the eBooks.
Adoby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-02-2012, 06:34 PM   #3
XMasterrrr
XMasterrrr began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adoby View Post
I'm also a Linux user, but I have a Motorola Xoom, not a Galaxy Tab 10.1. But they both have very similar hardware and screen resolution.

Works very fine with PDF:s. You can easily zoom and pan if you need a closer look. Recommended!

I use the Manatano eReader app on the tablet, and Calibre to handle the eBooks.
Does it give you the full page like A4 page on the screen?
XMasterrrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 07:28 PM   #4
Adoby
Handy Elephant
Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Thinkpad E595, Ubuntu Mate, Huawei Mediapad 5, Bouye Likebook Plus
No, the screen is quite a bit smaller than A4. A4 = 210 X 297 mm, 10.1 = 137 X 218 mm. (IPad 2 = 147 X 198 mm.) But you can usually display the page without margins. Then the actual text will be larger.

Measure a page in a textbook, without the margins, that is what you will have to display on the screen.

On pages with a lot of small text I sometimes rotate the screen 90 degrees and zoom in to view half a page at a time. Typically scientific magazines. But it is also possible to pinch and zoom where needed with the normal orientation.

If you have the text as a EPUB, then you can of course resize pages freely. You can "reflow" text PDF:s as well, but not always with good results, especially if the layout is complex with illustrations and columns.

It is easier to read on paper, but on the other hand you can almost carry a whole library in the tablet.
Adoby is offline   Reply With Quote