Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-22-2007, 07:55 PM   #1
pixiepurls
pixiepurls began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
anyone else miffed by the 250mb?

I was really surprised thats all the space it has, and users don't even get but like half of it.
pixiepurls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 08:05 PM   #2
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
it has 256MB, and half of it is 128MB. My Kindle shows that I get to use 180MB. If that's not enough, get an SD card.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-22-2007, 08:24 PM   #3
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
SD cards are really cheap, the 2 GB one I have in mine was about $10.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 10:20 PM   #4
pixiepurls

yes nate, about half like I said :P I still think for the price one might think you wouldn't need a seperate card. I suppose as long as I didn't use it for an audio files I wouldn't.
Old 11-22-2007, 10:33 PM   #5
CCDMan
CCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toys

Device: *****
Quote:
I still think for the price one might think you wouldn't need a seperate card.
The very cheapness of the SD may be why they did not bother to add more memory...
CCDMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-22-2007, 10:37 PM   #6
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by pixiepurls View Post
yes nate, about half like I said :P I still think for the price one might think you wouldn't need a seperate card. I suppose as long as I didn't use it for an audio files I wouldn't.
Okay, so in your mind:

180/256 = 128/256
70% = 50%

By any chance are you a government accountant?
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 02:13 AM   #7
gregr209
Enthusiast
gregr209 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader 505 / Kindle
This isn't an issue for me...I will use a SD card. They are cheap and easy to find.

Greg
gregr209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 04:39 AM   #8
pixiepurls

Nate, you are my hero.
Old 11-23-2007, 05:35 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by pixiepurls View Post
You can store a LOT of books in 180MB. My original Sony Reader had about 94MB RAM available to the user, and I had well over 100 books on that (including many of the large multi-book "omnibus" versions I created myself) without coming close to filling it up. eBook files are not large.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 05:38 AM   #10
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by TallMomof2 View Post
SD cards are really cheap, the 2 GB one I have in mine was about $10.
Have you made a comparison how long your Kindle battery lasts when using a SD card versus not using one? My experience with gadgets is that using external memory can greatly reduce battery life.
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 01:31 PM   #11
sfernald
Zealot
sfernald doesn't littersfernald doesn't litter

I have plugged in my 4GB SD card into the kindle. I love the integration of the SD card with the kindle compared to the Sony Reader. For one, it is hidden away and will never accidently pop out as it did with the Sony Reader. Also the content manager makes it effortless to move files between the built-in flash and the sd card. Also, having stuff on flash doesn't seem to slow the kindle down as the Sony Reader always did. Have got to give Amazon props for that.
sfernald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 06:53 PM   #12
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
It only slows the Sony down when the card is inserted (when it indexes the contents) -- are you reporting that when you put a bunch of files on an SD card and insert it into the Kindle there's no delay before the Kindle can access those files? That would, indeed, be a thing.

The other question that was being asked is if the SD card being in the Kindle has an effect on battery life or not. It tends to speed the battery drain on the Sony.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 07:59 PM   #13
dugbug
Addict
dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle
well, one thing they (amazon) claim with respect to storage is that you can redownload your purchases. So supposedly you can delete books to make room.

Anyone want to test that?

-d
dugbug is offline   Reply With Quote