Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-13-2011, 12:52 AM   #1
wyndslash
Wizard
wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Kindle Fire
Sales tax on kindle ebooks?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...8512#merchants

so what is the percentage tax? i'm not aware, sorry D: oh, and when you check out, does amazon give you the total including tax?
wyndslash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 01:39 AM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
As the referenced link implies, Amazon collects sales tax for "Agency" ebooks. These are the ones in the "New From" column (rather than in the Amazon Price column) and they say: This price was set by the publisher.

The sales tax is listed on the e-mail you get from Amazon confirming the order. The amount varies from state to state. Five states collect no sale tax (Alaska, Delaware, Montana, New Hampshire, and Oregon) so if you are buying from overseas with a fake address choose one of these states.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-13-2011, 03:20 AM   #3
wyndslash
Wizard
wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
As the referenced link implies, Amazon collects sales tax for "Agency" ebooks. These are the ones in the "New From" column (rather than in the Amazon Price column) and they say: This price was set by the publisher.

The sales tax is listed on the e-mail you get from Amazon confirming the order. The amount varies from state to state. Five states collect no sale tax (Alaska, Delaware, Montana, New Hampshire, and Oregon) so if you are buying from overseas with a fake address choose one of these states.
oh, guess the sales tax per state is different. i just wish that amazon would show you the amount with tax before the purchase is completed rather than after
Old 03-13-2011, 06:01 AM   #4
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
I wish they would too but they don't unlike other stores.
If I buy a 6.99 book It comes to about 7.49 with tax.
It's cheaper for me to go to Wal-Mart and buy it in paperback for $5.99
Well the agency book I bought the other day for 7.49 on a impulse buy at Amazon turned out to be $4.99 at Wal-Mart.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 06:10 AM   #5
wyndslash
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Well the agency book I bought the other day for 7.49 on a impulse buy at Amazon turned out to be $4.99 at Wal-Mart.
ugh, hate that i'm currently waiting for agency ebook to go down in prices before i even consider buying them. for now, they're just on my wishlist
Advert
Old 03-13-2011, 11:34 AM   #6
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
Being in Amazon's home state - tax on all purchases!
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 01:38 PM   #7
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
I have not figured it out yet. I sometimes get taxed and others I do not.
cvkemp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 02:48 PM   #8
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I either get my Agency books in paperback at Wal-Mart, Amazon MarketPlace or Ebay. I usually save about $2 to $3 dollars this way. I love to have them in ebook form but I'm not gonna pay those outrages prices! Sometimes I see a book though I just want and can't help myself and pay the $7.49. I had no idea I'd be going out this week or would have waited. Most of my money goes to Harlequin and non agency books.

Taxes on ebooks seem the be on the Hachette, Penguin, Random House, HarperCollins, Simon & Schuster & Macmillan
So if a ebooks says New From then lists the price. You will probably be taxed on it.

@FF2 I have the same problem with Newegg on my PC part purchases! When I lived in NC I didn't have to pay the extra taxes. Taxes here are higher then most states. It's 9.75% because we don't have a state income tax.

Last edited by Blossom; 03-14-2011 at 09:46 AM. Reason: Added correct sales tax percentage.
Old 03-13-2011, 03:26 PM   #9
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
Our sales tax is just around 10% and like you, no income tax, well, no STATE income tax.
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 03:56 PM   #10
MichelRenaud
Connoisseur
MichelRenaud began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DXG
Quote:
Unless you're within walking distance... Is gas free in your area?
MichelRenaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 05:49 PM   #11
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelRenaud View Post
Unless you're within walking distance... Is gas free in your area?
No not in walking distance but I don't drive though.
I stay at home and may only get out once or twice a month due to my health but my husband drives a 45 minutes commute both ways. All stores are on his path home so I have him pick up stuff for me as needed. When I do get out for my monthly shots we usually make a day of it. Go out to lunch and do a little shopping on the way home at Wal-Mart Supercenter.
Old 03-14-2011, 03:31 AM   #12
reech
Connoisseur
reech doesn't litterreech doesn't litter

Device: Sony eReader PRS-600
In the UK, books are VAT free (currently 20%) - however eBooks are excluded as they are seen as digital items, not books, so DO attract a 20% tax. Gits.

That's why I'm adamant that I only buy ebooks when they are AT LEAST 20% lower than their paperback\hardbook version; I'm not being greedy, I'm just trying to get an equivalent price for the licensed item!
reech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 04:00 AM   #13
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
In wisconsin it's 5.5% last I checked. So something that is $2.00 costs $2.11 total.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 12:21 PM   #14
Little.Egret
Wizard
Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G, Kindle Fire 2, NOOK ST, Kindle HDX, Fire 7"
Quote:
Originally Posted by reech View Post
In the UK, books are VAT free (currently 20%) - however eBooks are excluded as they are seen as digital items, not books, so DO attract a 20% tax. Gits.

[...]

For the record and for any Euro readers, Amazon in the UK pay not 20% but a 15% tax because that's the standard rate in Luxembourg and they set up Amazon SARL there to sell eBooks. The EU rule for VAT on music and ebook downloads being currently "where the seller is registered" though they hope to change to "where the buyer lives" in 2012.

So just as weird as the US, just differently so.
Little.Egret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 09:33 AM   #15
speedlever
Fanatic
speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: PW2014, PW2012, iPad Pro
Quote:
snip
When I lived in NC I didn't have to pay the extra taxes. Taxes here are higher then most states. It's 9.75% because we don't have a state income tax.
Actually, NC compensates for that by asking for your out-of-state purchases when you file your state income taxes. So if you choose to be honest, you end up paying the sales tax anyway.

NC doesn't want to leave a penny unturned... so they get you coming and going with both a sales and an income tax. :/ (and they still spend all of it and more)
speedlever is offline   Reply With Quote