Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-27-2009, 08:36 PM   #1
dschiller
dschiller began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Is it possible to use a Kindle while living outside the U.S.?

Hi all

I live in Brazil, and I'd love to be able to use a Kindle. I am aware that wireless downloads directly to the device would not be possible, but would I be able to download books/magazines/newspapers/etc to my computer, and then transfer them to the Kindle?

Thanks for your input
dschiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 10:15 PM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by dschiller View Post
Hi all

I live in Brazil, and I'd love to be able to use a Kindle. I am aware that wireless downloads directly to the device would not be possible, but would I be able to download books/magazines/newspapers/etc to my computer, and then transfer them to the Kindle?

Thanks for your input
Welcome to MobileRead, dschiller.

Amazon will not ship the Kindle outside the United States. This has to do with copyright laws that vary across the world.

You must have a US based credit card AND mailing address
tied to your Amazon account in order to buy a Kindle and download books.

Once you've done this, you can download books anywhere in the world using the USB cord included, then upload to your K.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 11:28 PM   #3
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
In addition to the excellent information from Desertgrandma, I would add that the only way to get the free samples of books is through the wireless connection. You can buy books from Amazon but you cannot sample them first. Some other sites do have excerpts. Usually they're not nearly as long as Amazon's and you have to read them online which is not nearly as pleasant, though.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 11:36 PM   #4
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Have you considered another reader?
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 01:30 AM   #5
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
You can always ask a friend in the US to buy one and load it up with a lot of books and post it over? As already mentioned, once you have bought it and it's tied to a US Amazon account you can travel with it, so using it overseas is no problem.
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 03:14 AM   #6
Nate0072
Enthusiast
Nate0072 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Nate0072 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Nate0072 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony Reader 505 (Silver)
If I were you, I would wait until Amazon decide to release the Kindle worldwide, or in my case buy the Sony Reader 505, which in my opinion is the better option anyway.

Good luck!
Nate0072 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 12:53 PM   #7
dschiller
dschiller began at the beginning.

Thanks for all the helpful info!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fugazied View Post
As already mentioned, once you have bought it and it's tied to a US Amazon account you can travel with it, so using it overseas is no problem.
And what would I actually need in order to tie it to an Amazon account?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate0072 View Post
If I were you, I would wait until Amazon decide to release the Kindle worldwide, or in my case buy the Sony Reader 505, which in my opinion is the better option anyway.
Sorry if this is a stupid question, but how do I buy books to use with the Sony Reader?
dschiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 01:01 PM   #8
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by dschiller View Post
Thanks for all the helpful info!

And what would I actually need in order to tie it to an Amazon account?

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but how do I buy books to use with the Sony Reader?
If you have a US based credit card, you can use Sony's US store. But if not, I believe you can use fictionwise.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 01:12 PM   #9
Vi0linha
Vi0linha began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-700 / iPhone
dschiller,

I live in Brazil too and I always dreamed of an e-reader. I never consider kindle an option exactly for the reasons desertgrandma explained.

Recently I bought myself a sony reader prs-700 because I wanted a device that had search amoung its features.

As Nate0072 said, the 505 has much better contrast, it is like look to white paper sheet. But I needed the search so I chose the 700 model.

About the diference between the sonys 505 and 700 I would say that the 505 is like to read in a white paper and the screen in the PRC-700 is like recycled paper.
Vi0linha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 01:30 PM   #10
S.Canton
Groupie
S.Canton began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
As the others have mentioned, your best bet is probably going for a Sony, or perhaps even waiting for the eSlick when that arrives. I'm sure you could find a way to get your hands on a Kindle if you really wanted one, but it would likely be more trouble than it's worth for you.
S.Canton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 01:44 PM   #11
RobbieClarken
Addict
RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
You must have a US based credit card AND mailing address tied to your Amazon account in order to buy a Kindle and download books.
Are you sure about that? I thought someone posted that you can buy gift cards from an account with a non-US credit card, send these to an account with a US address and use them to pay for the Kindle and ebooks, eliminating the need for a US credit card. Of course the Kindle would be delivered to the address on the US account so you can't get it shipped directly overseas.
RobbieClarken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 01:49 PM   #12
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by epiphany View Post
Are you sure about that? I thought someone posted that you can buy gift cards from an account with a non-US credit card, send these to an account with a US address and use them to pay for the Kindle and ebooks, eliminating the need for a US credit card. Of course the Kindle would be delivered to the address on the US account so you can't get it shipped directly overseas.
You are correct. There are several people here that live outside the US that do this.

Of course, Amazon could shut this off. But, not everyone has or uses credit cards.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 12:29 AM   #13
meibao
meibao began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 2
I've checked with Amazon and as for the purchase of the Kindle itself, it can be purchased with a non-US issued credit card but the item has to be sent to an address in the US.

For the purchase of content, they say it has to be linked to a US issued credit card.

I live in Singapore and intend on getting a Kindle. Lucky for me my postal service here has a service where they will provide us with an address in the US and then ship it out to us here, so that's what I'm gonna do when I purchase my Kindle. As for content, well there's so much free stuff out there for me to upload to my Kindle, I don't think I'll be purchasing any content from Amazon any time soon but I will give the gift card route a try.
meibao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 01:15 AM   #14
hkabir
e-bookviner
hkabir began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPodTouch
Quote:
Originally Posted by meibao View Post
For the purchase of content, they say it has to be linked to a US issued credit card.

I live in Singapore and intend on getting a Kindle. Lucky for me my postal service here has a service where they will provide us with an address in the US and then ship it out to us here, so that's what I'm gonna do when I purchase my Kindle. As for content, well there's so much free stuff out there for me to upload to my Kindle, I don't think I'll be purchasing any content from Amazon any time soon but I will give the gift card route a try.
You don't need a U.S. credit card. If your account is with amazon USA, then use a valid U.S. address and add gift codes for purchase, and finally delete the credit card information. Now you would be able to buy kindle books. But you can't buy pre-order books. Whenever, you run out of money from your gift card just buy gift cards by adding your credit card, and delete thereafter; or use a different amazon account with a different email to buy gift cards - that's probably the best way.
hkabir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 01:59 AM   #15
hmemcpy
hmemcpy began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
I live in Israel and I managed to buy a Kindle from Amazon. The non-US issued credit card is not a problem if you can buy anything else with it on the site (such as books). I used the services of a company called UsOneStop - they provide a US address and then send you your package via DHL. In my case, the Kindle package was 3KG "dimension weight", so it ended up costing me $53 USD for the delivery.

I just checked - the shipping rate to Brazil on that site is insane! Almost $110 USD! Perhaps you can find a company that ships directly to Brazil...

But, 15 days after order and I'm a proud Kindle 2 owner, and I live nowhere near US
hmemcpy is offline   Reply With Quote