Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 04-04-2008, 02:01 PM   #46
Jack B Nimble
Groupie
Jack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enough

Device: Tapwave Zodiac, eBookwise 1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prospect View Post
One questions that remains is if there are alternatives to page numbering when referring to the length of a text. So far this has not been commented by anyone.
This was solved a long time ago. Take a look at the chapter and verse system used in the bible. Note, I gave up religion many moons ago, and I do not want to get into a debate on the book itself, but the chapter and verse method used works quite well. It could be more standardized, for instance numbering sentences rather than arbitrary verses, which may be several sentences or only part of one. If you do so, you can also reduce the number clutter by only numbering every tenth sentence or so.

Heck you could just go chapter and paragraph for that matter, as they do in legal references.

Jack

Last edited by Jack B Nimble; 04-04-2008 at 02:07 PM.
Jack B Nimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 02:21 PM   #47
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack B Nimble View Post
Heck you could just go chapter and paragraph for that matter, as they do in legal references.

Jack
a paragraph numbering system makes the most sense for typical use. They are easy to find visually in a document and are easy to count once you have determined the rules for what a paragraph is. In technical documents used in business and legal areas they are essential to track items that can be changed. They are also completely independent from formatting changes. Usually a multi-level number is used such as 1.2.3 where 1 is a chapter, 2 is a section and 3 is the paragraph number. This works well even when the document is revised since the entire numbers are not changed when a particular section is revised.

The need for numbering goes beyond simple 'where am I' questions. It is also a method of look up and a method to reference a quote. These are the real issues.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 02:28 PM   #48
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack B Nimble View Post
This was solved a long time ago. Take a look at the chapter and verse system used in the bible. Note, I gave up religion many moons ago, and I do not want to get into a debate on the book itself, but the chapter and verse method used works quite well.
But they do not give you the length of the text and that was what the question asked for.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 03:34 PM   #49
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
A possible (sort of) solution is already widely available. Scrolling bars in many computer programs show the relative position of the viewing port (screen) with respect to the total length of the content, as well as the relative size of the portion being displayed, as the size of the "button" or "marker".

Of course, this works when there are maybe 100 "screens" in the text, but when it's 1000 or 2000 I guess the relative size is pretty useless and only the position information remains.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 04:50 PM   #50
Prospect
Other
Prospect will become famous soon enoughProspect will become famous soon enoughProspect will become famous soon enoughProspect will become famous soon enoughProspect will become famous soon enoughProspect will become famous soon enough

Device: Cybook, Kindle
Wiki entry

I have added a brief wiki article re page numbers in ebooks that certainly could need improvements and additions.

Wiki - page numers
Prospect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 02:19 AM   #51
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
hmmmm...now I am sure this idea as long ago been floated but I am curious if the concept of putting an ID on the chapters (duh) then numbering paragraphs kinda sorta like the do in, now don't burn me at the stake, but like the Bible. I mean I am not bringing some sort of religous thing into the mix (trust me I am not that guy, as for the most part, it's a pretty flawed user manual if there ever was one.) but the way the 'books' are named and the sections/passages are numbered would make it easy to provide references to any content which is completely software agnostic. This would just need to be part of a new standard.

Again I am not completely up to speed on the whole page numbering thing because, well, I never gave it a thought until reading the threads here. And it is not an insignificant issue. And indeed page numbering is a thing of the past for ebook versions. And somehow there seems the need to correlate the whole thing with printed versions.
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote