Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 03-06-2010, 05:55 PM   #1
Desertway
Addict
Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
Preferred Format for Libre

My Libre is on the way, and I will be converting my library. Which is the better experience on the Libre, Mobi or ePub? Thanks.
Desertway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 08:04 PM   #2
Bigness
Bigness began at the beginning.

Device: Libre Pro
I haven't tried mobi, but I've found the epub works great (much better than pdf or rtf)
Bigness is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-06-2010, 08:17 PM   #3
uRwhatUr
Groupie
uRwhatUr is no ebook tyro.uRwhatUr is no ebook tyro.uRwhatUr is no ebook tyro.uRwhatUr is no ebook tyro.uRwhatUr is no ebook tyro.uRwhatUr is no ebook tyro.uRwhatUr is no ebook tyro.uRwhatUr is no ebook tyro.uRwhatUr is no ebook tyro.

Device: Aluratek Libre
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigness View Post
I haven't tried mobi, but I've found the epub works great (much better than pdf or rtf)
uRwhatUr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 08:38 PM   #4
Desertway
Addict
Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
ePub it is. Thanks.
Desertway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 07:08 PM   #5
jrl007
Enthusiast
jrl007 began at the beginning.

Device: Jetbook Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertway View Post
ePub it is. Thanks.
I've had my JBL for about a month now, and any books that I convert from PDF to ePub using Calibre (sp?) don't look all that great. Formatting if off, sometimes lots of space between paragraphs, sometimes no space at all, and the headers (page x) are usually mixed in with the text. Am I doing something wrong?
jrl007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-09-2010, 07:40 PM   #6
Kralik
Guru
Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rooted NST
Converting PDF to anything is a painful process!
Kralik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 07:55 PM   #7
jrl007
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kralik View Post
Converting PDF to anything is a painful process!
Well it's definitely readable, it's just not...pretty
Old 03-09-2010, 08:07 PM   #8
Nakor
Addict
Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek Libre
AFAIK the Calibre crew's working on a better PDF input for their conversions, but due to the nature of the format it's not an easy task.

If you don't mind making some of the corrections yourself, you could convert to something you can edit by hand (like RTF), fix it, and then convert that to ePub, but it's a lot of hard work if it's something, for example, you'll only read once.
Nakor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 08:12 PM   #9
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
I expect that you could get just the results you want - If - you were to work out
the proper formatting options in Calibre. Short of that, you could at least use the
"Conversion">"Page Setup">"Output Profile:">"JetBook 5-inch", in the preferences.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 11:58 PM   #10
jrl007
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nakor View Post
AFAIK the Calibre crew's working on a better PDF input for their conversions, but due to the nature of the format it's not an easy task.

If you don't mind making some of the corrections yourself, you could convert to something you can edit by hand (like RTF), fix it, and then convert that to ePub, but it's a lot of hard work if it's something, for example, you'll only read once.
It LOOKS ok in Calibre's reader, and if I convert it to text and look at it in wordpad or notepad, it looks fine, but when I convert it to ePub and look at it on the JBL the formatting is really bad.

I told Calibre that it's a Jetbook 5" reader, and the books aren't UNREADABLE, formatting is just off, but if I can get it better, change some setting or 2, that would be really nice
Old 03-10-2010, 12:00 AM   #11
jrl007
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
I expect that you could get just the results you want - If - you were to work out
the proper formatting options in Calibre. Short of that, you could at least use the
"Conversion">"Page Setup">"Output Profile:">"JetBook 5-inch", in the preferences.

Luck;
Ken
Thanks Ken. I have it setup for the JetBook 5-inch and that's not quite doing it. Any tips for working out the proper formatting options? I have no clue where to even start.

Thanks!

Last edited by jrl007; 03-10-2010 at 12:00 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-10-2010, 09:18 AM   #12
tselling
Addict
tselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enough

Device: NookColor (MiRage/CM7.2 & Moon+ Reader Pro)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrl007 View Post
I've had my JBL for about a month now, and any books that I convert from PDF to ePub using Calibre (sp?) don't look all that great. Formatting if off, sometimes lots of space between paragraphs, sometimes no space at all, and the headers (page x) are usually mixed in with the text. Am I doing something wrong?
For PDFs with headers and footers, I usually import into Mobipocket Reader first. It usually provides a decent mobipocket file and strips the headers and footers.. Then I use Calibre to convert from mobi to epub.
tselling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 12:10 PM   #13
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrl007 View Post
Thanks Ken. I have it setup for the JetBook 5-inch and that's not quite doing it. Any tips for working out the proper formatting options? I have no clue where to even start.

Thanks!
I guess that would depend on what you needed to change from the
default formatting Calibre is providing.

I am no expert on Calibre, and there is a forum for it here.

One thing I notice is that there are options for both the input and
output sides of the conversion process. If it is that the PDF's headers
and footers are a problem and not needed, for instance, you might be
able to remove them on the input side. Or - correct or remove them
by addressing it with the output settings.

There is also Sigil which has it's own forum here, as well.
http://code.google.com/p/sigil/

I haven't used it much, but it appears to provide an easier editing of the
epub, with a number of less technical editing options.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 08:18 PM   #14
jrl007
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by tselling View Post
For PDFs with headers and footers, I usually import into Mobipocket Reader first. It usually provides a decent mobipocket file and strips the headers and footers.. Then I use Calibre to convert from mobi to epub.
Thanks for the tip, I will certainly try this the next time I convert a book. I just finished one, and about 1/3 of the way through one, so the next one I'll try this. I've already converted it, but I'll re-convert the PDF to Mobipocket, then epub.

Thanks again!
Old 03-10-2010, 08:25 PM   #15
jrl007
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
I guess that would depend on what you needed to change from the
default formatting Calibre is providing.

I am no expert on Calibre, and there is a forum for it here.

One thing I notice is that there are options for both the input and
output sides of the conversion process. If it is that the PDF's headers
and footers are a problem and not needed, for instance, you might be
able to remove them on the input side. Or - correct or remove them
by addressing it with the output settings.

There is also Sigil which has it's own forum here, as well.
http://code.google.com/p/sigil/

I haven't used it much, but it appears to provide an easier editing of the
epub, with a number of less technical editing options.

Luck;
Ken
I've searched the calibre forum here, came up with a lot of general info on the JBL, but nothing specific as far as the formatting goes. I've also tried some of the options pertaining to headers/footers, input/output but the settings that I've tried did nothing that I could see...

For now, Calibre is doing a decent job, it's probably my lack of experience with it that's causing me to not get the results that I desire, and it's not a BIG hairy deal, it's about 98% effective, it just breaks the immersion somewhat:

"the monster reached for John, he'd seen what it had done to it's other victims, and now it waspage 56about to..."

Something like that, see what I mean?

Not really a big deal, but if I can eliminate it I'd like to.

Thanks again for the tips.