Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-10-2008, 05:46 PM   #46
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The solution to the problem is to remove anything Symantec with the name of Norton. I'm sorry, but it finds way too many false positives and blocks too many things. You would be better getting a router if you are on broadband. Then run a decent AV such as AVG Free. Then you'll be fine.

I've helped lots of people sort out net related problems that it turned out the answer was to turn off Norton to get things to work.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 08:16 PM   #47
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The solution to the problem is to remove anything Symantec with the name of Norton
Agreed. Also, if you are behind a NAT router you probably don't really need to run Firewall software on the PC.

The new AVG Free is even bloated. Take a look at blink from eeye... it is much lighter weight. Or Avast free is also good. But, personally I don't run any anti-virus on my Windows machines anymore.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-11-2008, 10:00 AM   #48
MSWallack
Right, Except When Wrong
MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3 (sometimes iPad Mini).
I've been a Norton guy for a long time and (for lots of reasons not worth going into here), I'd prefer not to change. I have the exact same Norton setup on several machines and they all connect just fine. Moreover, while I didn't uninstall Norton, I did completely shut it down and I manually entered all of the settings that Sony support gave me (ports, IP addresses, website addresses, protocols, etc.) to allow the software to connect. Still, it wouldn't work (but 2.0 would...). Thus, I'm still not convinced that Norton is the culprit. After all, if it is specifically told to allow the precise connection and it is turned off, but the eBookLibrary software still can't connect...? Add to this the bizarre fact that if I run Fiddler, I can connect a little bit but without Fiddler I cannot connect at all, even though Fiddler isn't actually doing anything.

I downloaded 2.5 last night but didn't have time to install. That will be tonight's project. Of course all of this is actually moot in my case (I hope) because I just got a new laptop to replace the laptop that is having this problem.
MSWallack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 09:40 AM   #49
MSWallack
Right, Except When Wrong
MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I installed 2.5 (disabled Norton first) and ... no change. I still get the lovely spinning purple arrow of death. Just for yucks, I left it overnight and it was still spinning this morning.
Old 12-12-2008, 09:56 AM   #50
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Agreed. Also, if you are behind a NAT router you probably don't really need to run Firewall software on the PC.
If you are behind a NAT router, you do not need to run a software based firewall on the computer as the NAT firewall will take care of things for you.
Advert
Old 12-12-2008, 09:59 AM   #51
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

I think the issue is still Norton. What I believe is that Norton sees 2.0 just fine, but thinks 2.2 and 2.5 are different applications and is blocking them. The solutions is to dump Norton. Also, Norton has been tested to noticeably slow down the computer. I know you want to keep Norton because it's what you know. But it really isn't a solution that works all the time. You are already coming up with one of it's bugs. It's time to move on to something that works.
Old 12-12-2008, 12:11 PM   #52
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob
If you are behind a NAT router, you do not need to run a software based firewall on the computer as the NAT firewall will take care of things for you.
Yes. Isn't that what I just said? Although not all routers have a full featured firewall functionality. But, good enough.

BOb
Old 12-15-2008, 10:16 AM   #53
MSWallack
Right, Except When Wrong

Over the weekend, I installed 2.5 on my new laptop (running Norton). No problem. So, I have two machines (with Norton) that work fine (plus two older machines, also with Norton, that did work fine, until I deauthorized them), but one machine that does not. Given that they all have Norton, it seems unlikely that Norton alone is the culprit...
Old 12-16-2008, 04:24 PM   #54
drmathprog
Connoisseur
drmathprog began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
I do not have and have never had Norton; I use the licensed AVG, but I have exactly the problem described. I believe the problem may be firewall related, but it is not Norton-specific.
drmathprog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 10:46 AM   #55
MSWallack
Right, Except When Wrong

One more quick update. On that new laptop, I updated Norton from 2008 to 2009 and I am still able to connect to the store. So, with the identical version of Norton installed on 3 machines, only 1 cannot connect.
Old 12-17-2008, 10:58 AM   #56
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSWallack View Post
One more quick update. On that new laptop, I updated Norton from 2008 to 2009 and I am still able to connect to the store. So, with the identical version of Norton installed on 3 machines, only 1 cannot connect.
Someone, cassidy I think mentioned something about Sony changing the proxy settings when they couldn't connect. Can you compare the proxy settings between the two machines.

BOb
Old 12-18-2008, 12:03 PM   #57
MSWallack
Right, Except When Wrong

I'll see if I can check the proxy settings over the weekend (that's the next time that I'll likely have a chance).
Old 12-22-2008, 03:30 PM   #58
MSWallack
Right, Except When Wrong

So I went to compare the proxy settings and realized ... oops, I don't know what I'm looking for or where to look...
Old 12-23-2008, 09:10 AM   #59
steen
steen began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505
I seriously dislike the Sony software. On my desktop computer, I can't even get it to run. Whenever I open it, it starts to load the library then freezes. I've uninstalled, reinstalled, used a restore point... I can't get it to work on my PC. So I have to use my laptop. It's ridiculous. Even then, I was having all sorts of issues with the 2.2 software!
steen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 12:50 PM   #60
Amalthia
Wizard
Amalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505, PRS-650, PRS-T3, Pocketbook HD2
I just installed the new update and the connect software crashes as soon as it goes to my library. Which is really frustrating. I use connect all the time to preview LRF files before uploading to my reader so I'm not sure what's going on with the main library page.
Amalthia is offline   Reply With Quote