Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-31-2013, 05:29 AM   #1
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
84 percent of top 1,000 titles available as accessible e-books, study finds

Although not all authors and publishers are keen to allow things that would make e-books more available, like electronic text-to-speech, overall e-books have been a blessing to visually impaired blind and partially sighted people, according to a new report by the UK-based Royal National Institute of Blind People (RNIB). Over the past four years, the charity looked at what they consider the 1,000 most popular books and determined the proportion of those that were available as an accessible e-book.

Quote:
In 2012, 84 per cent of the top 1,000 titles were available in braille, audio and large print, formats using eBooks.
In comparison, in 2011 it was 73%; in 2011 it was 45%; and in 2009 it was none, according to the study.

Other key findings:
  • By genre, 99% of the Adult fiction, and 77% of the Adult non-fiction titles included were available as fully accessible e-books in 2012. These figures compare to 93% of Adult fiction and 62% of Adult non-fiction in 2011.
  • 43% of Children's titles were available as accessible e-books in 2012, compared to 30 per cent in 2011.
  • 49% of the top 1,000 titles of 2012 were available as audio books, compared to 42% in 2011.
  • 25% of the most popular 450 Adult non-fiction titles were available as unabridged downloadable audio books, compared to 43% of children's titles, and 75% fiction titles in 2012.
  • 81% of the most popular General and literary fiction titles were available as unabridged human speech audio books, compared to 40% of Saga and romance titles in 2012.

Related: How important is text-to-speech capability to you?, Amazon, Kobo and Sony request e-readers be exempt from accessibility laws

[via booktrade.info]
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 06:12 AM   #2
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
This is based only on the books that THEY consider to be the top 1,000. Others may not consider that list to be the definitive answer.
Apache
Apache is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-31-2013, 07:26 AM   #3
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
This is based only on the books that THEY consider to be the top 1,000. Others may not consider that list to be the definitive answer.
Apache
Yup.
Me, I'm more interested in books from the "middle ten million".

Whenever I see the term "top xxxx" books I move on. Those lists are either interested in bestsellers or litfic, neither of which is my cup of tea.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 12:32 PM   #4
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
I have never been one of those. I rarely find the books I like at the top of lists. I rarely enjoy the Olympics since the US coverage never shows the sports I am interested in. I guess I am to much a loner in the things that interest me.
Apache
Apache is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 12:49 PM   #5
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
Apache
Touche. Though it does sound as if it's at least a start anyway.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-31-2013, 11:27 PM   #6
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Their key finding is not an English sentence. Sigh. What do they actually mean?
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote