Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: What is your opinion about fonts?
I have my own reading-font favourites. 77 55.40%
I have thought about it, but the idea flew away with a breeze. 6 4.32%
Whatever is available on my device. 25 17.99%
I am not concerned at all, I just like to read. 31 22.30%
Voters: 139. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-09-2012, 01:11 PM   #31
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post

I use Amasis Modified. It basically Amasis that has been edited to look better on eInk. Someone here edited and it has saved me from dealing with font and contrast unhappiness
That is very nice.
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 02:16 PM   #32
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra h20, Paperwhite 2017, Phone & Tablet w Moonreader
Quote:
It's Caecilia in it's condensed form. It's not too bad but it's too light for me. It needs more weight. If you ever want to use a custom font on the K4 it's super easy to do! I use Amasis Modified which is just lovely. It just takes a plugin and Calibre to add the font of your choice and you can change the margins with the same plugin. I use 30 which looks alot better than default.
Yes, the plugin is really great! I mostly use it for instant collection creation/updating, but have used it for fonts before and like it.
spindlegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-09-2012, 02:19 PM   #33
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
Quote:
It's Caecilia in it's condensed form. It's not too bad but it's too light for me. It needs more weight. If you ever want to use a custom font on the K4 it's super easy to do! I use Amasis Modified which is just lovely. It just takes a plugin and Calibre to add the font of your choice and you can change the margins with the same plugin. I use 30 which looks alot better than default.
Blossom, would you pm me with more information about changing fonts on the K4? i've got one I'd like to play with. Which plugiin is used? thanks!
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 02:27 PM   #34
banjobama
Busy Read'n
banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
I don't care too much about the specific font, as long as it's not sans-serif.
This. Huge blocks of sans-serif look like white noise to me.
banjobama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 02:49 PM   #35
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
I am not too picky when it comes to fonts, but I absolutely cannot stand it reading in a sans-serif font. I've had some ebooks that forced a sans-serif font, and I broke the CSS so I didn't have to. I guess they just had bad CSS, because the font selection didn't change anything related to the story.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-09-2012, 03:04 PM   #36
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra h20, Paperwhite 2017, Phone & Tablet w Moonreader
Hellmark, The way to change fonts is with the calibre plugin that is used to create/manage Kindle collections. When your Kindle is plugged in (from the Home Screen), create a folder called "fonts", and plop the fonts you wish to use into the folder. Then go to Manage Kindle in the dropdown menu of calibre's plugin.

If it doesn't like the filenames of your fonts (it didn't like the filenames of mine even though they were all the same set), change them to what it wants, then go into the manage and click "enable user fonts" and select the fonts of your choice.

Eject your Kindle, unplug it, then select "settings" on your unplugged kindle, and then select "restart" for the configuration to "take". When it comes back up the font you chose should be selectable for an open book.

Hope this helps.
spindlegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 03:25 PM   #37
Chi Cygni
秋子 permanently lurking
Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Pocketbook Era
I used this plugin to put Times New Roman on my Kindle. I couldn't stand Caecilia, to the point that I didn't want to read anything before. Now is better. TNR on Kindle and Georgia on Opus.
Team serif here.
Chi Cygni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 04:13 PM   #38
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe,Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
I'm fussy when it comes to fonts. I like to standardize all my kindle books with a single font style, size, word and line spacing.
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 04:51 PM   #39
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
If you want to send me a copy of Caecilia or a link to get it, I can have a go at trying to give it some more weight.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 05:06 PM   #40
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
If you want to send me a copy of Caecilia or a link to get it, I can have a go at trying to give it some more weight.
How do you do that? I have a font I like on my Fire but it's way to skinny and light on the K4.

Is this something you have to edit in a graphics type environment or is it some settings that needs to be changed in the font file?
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 05:08 PM   #41
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I don't care at all. I'm font-blind.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 05:49 PM   #42
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
How do you do that? I have a font I like on my Fire but it's way to skinny and light on the K4.

Is this something you have to edit in a graphics type environment or is it some settings that needs to be changed in the font file?
Actually, I found a set of fonts you might like. I've hopefully fixed the naming of them so they work properly. I'll PM you the link. Please try it and let me know what you think.

As for editing the fonts, you have to do it in a font editor. I just used the auto-bold feature and it worked well. I did not hand tweak. That would have taken a long time to do so.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 06:34 PM   #43
miguel1626
Great Old One
miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro, iPhone 8 Plus
I usually don't worry about fonts... Unless it's Comics Sans or something like this[link removed - moderator]. Oh, and I dislike sans-serif fonts. Otherwise I'm always happy with the font.

[please keep our guidelines in mind and don't post links to inappropriate content - moderator]

Last edited by dreams; 09-09-2012 at 11:50 PM.
miguel1626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 06:43 PM   #44
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by miguel1626 View Post
I usually don't worry about fonts... Unless it's Comics Sans or something like this[link removed - moderator]. Oh, and I dislike sans-serif fonts. Otherwise I'm always happy with the font.
I followed the link - bad idea. It's like brain bleach on graph paper.

Last edited by dreams; 09-09-2012 at 11:49 PM.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 08:13 PM   #45
nonobjective
nonobjective is that somebody.nonobjective is that somebody.nonobjective is that somebody.nonobjective is that somebody.nonobjective is that somebody.nonobjective is that somebody.nonobjective is that somebody.nonobjective is that somebody.nonobjective is that somebody.nonobjective is that somebody.nonobjective is that somebody.

Device: Sony 500, Kindle Keyboard, Kindle Touch, Paperwhite
I tend not to like the included faces in the kindle device. The serifs are knobby and blunt and although that helps with clarity on low resolution devices, they are highly novel and conspicuous to my eyes. I find myself constantly critiquing the kerning and the letters C, c, a, and y bug the hell out of me.

Still, I prefer it to many of the typeface choices made in print, especially some of those chosen by indie publishers.

I'm pretty conservative in my personal preference for reading type, Caslon and some iterations of Garamond are as near to perfection as you can get when it comes to body serif faces, but obviously the relatively low resolution of current e-readers render these types horribly unless you read at 18 pt.
nonobjective is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fonts