Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 05-02-2011, 02:48 PM   #1
sej7278
Enthusiast
sej7278 began at the beginning.

Device: Android
MobiDeDRM doesn't like Kindle 3G

I'm trying to strip the DRM from a couple of ebooks I bought from Amazon on my European Kindle3 3G so I can read them on my Linux PC too (no piracy).

I've generated my PID using kindlepid.py 0.3 but mobidedrm.py 0.29 keeps throwing out this error:

Code:
$ python mobidedrm.py ebook.azw ebook.mobi ABCDEFG*3G,B006A0....

MobiDeDrm v0.29. Copyright 2008-2010 The Dark Reverser.
MOBI header version = 6, length = 232
Extra Data Flags = 10
Crypto Type is:  2
Error: No key found. Most likely the correct PID has not been given.
i've tried this with two different 3g's (B006A0 serials) can anyone at least confirm that its possible with the euro 3g's, and these versions seem a lot newer than anyone else on here is using, are they the correct scripts - i've also tried mobidedrm0.5.py

Last edited by sej7278; 05-02-2011 at 03:04 PM.
sej7278 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 03:02 PM   #2
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
I believe that the DRM on K3s has changed a bit recently, and older de-DRM scripts will not work. I think the current version works on Kindle4PC. Google is your friend.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-02-2011, 03:12 PM   #3
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Yeah, that's been broken for quite a while. Apprentice Alf's blog is your friend.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 03:12 PM   #4
sej7278
Enthusiast

yeah i'm not interested in kindle4pc hacks as its a hassle getting a copy of windows just to allow me to view the ebooks on linux!

its kind of ironic that thanks to DRM, its easier and cheaper to pirate ebooks than it is to use the ebooks you've purchased.
Old 05-02-2011, 06:11 PM   #5
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Hi,

As was mentioned earlier but seemingly ignored, Google for Apprentice Alf's Blog. hint: look for the K4MobiDeDRM python tool, and note that all Standalone Kindles that have firmware > version 2.5 now need the exact kindle serial number and no longer use the old fixed PID. That blog, the tools, and the ReadMes help to explain things. If you are still having trouble, simply post your question in the blog's comments section, and the good people there will help.
KevinH is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-02-2011, 06:38 PM   #6
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sej7278 View Post
its kind of ironic that thanks to DRM, its easier and cheaper to pirate ebooks than it is to use the ebooks you've purchased.
Not ironic at all -- that's a standard "feature" of all forms of DRM'd media.

As others have noted, there are work-arounds for stripping the DRM on books targeted for more recent firmwares; none are onerous.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 06:48 PM   #7
sej7278
Enthusiast

ok i take it back, k4mobidedrm.py does work on my k3g - i thought it was just a gui/plugin wrapper for mobidedrm.py!

ok so, NOW i'll go buy some ebooks.

thanks folks.

Last edited by sej7278; 05-02-2011 at 06:59 PM.