Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-08-2011, 07:30 PM   #1
kelly1010
Book Addict!
kelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPod Touch, Kindle 3G + Wi-Fi
I never thought I'd be saying this but....

I'm thinking about getting a Kindle. I love(D) my Sony 505, but lately the battery doesn't seem to be holding a charge very well. I don't use it all that often anymore, and it seems like everytime I pick it up, it only has one bar or is completely dead. Then I charge it up again, and the same thing happens. 1) since I got my iPod touch, I've been downloading way more Kindle books than Sony books (I wish I would've found out about the iPod touch before the Sony 505). 2) I really haven't used the library books as much as I thought I would. I end up just buying them, so I have decided the lack of library books on a Kindle doesn't really matter to me. There's a SMALL part of me that is also thinking about a Nook, but I don't like the fact that some Nookbooks are released later than Kindle books. EXAMPLE: there was a series romance book that said it would be released on 2/1. Well the paper version was released the last Tuesday in January, as was the Kindle Version, however the Nook Version wasn't released until almost a week later on 2/1. I don't like that. I want the books NOW! However, the only reason I hesitate is because I still have alot of unread books on my Sony. However, I heard there's an ipod reader app (other than Sony) that I could download that is compatible with my books.

My question is this: If I buy a Kindle at Target or Bestbuy (immediate gratification!), will it still be covered by amazon the same as Kindle coming directly from them? Hopefully this makes sense.

Anything else I should know about a Kindle? I am not interested in hacks, jailbreaking, etc. I'm not going to learn how to strip library books just so I can read them. If I want library books bad enough, I'll just get the paper books. I just miss having an ereader.

Another option would be to just keep using the Kindle App, which I LOVE. And I will take a look at the new sony products just for the heck of it. But I'm thinking more and more about a Kindle. Now that I know a little bit about ebook readers, it just seems like the easiest option.

Any insight would be appreciated.
kelly1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 07:34 PM   #2
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
I'm pretty sure they are covered the same way, but I bet a quick call to Amazon will clear up any question about it ;o)

if you've been using a Sony don't know how much we could tell you, other than be prepared to really enjoy it!
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-08-2011, 07:42 PM   #3
Baldrake
Connoisseur
Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 3, HTC Mozart
You will love the new pearl display. I sure did when I upgraded my reader recently.
Baldrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 07:44 PM   #4
Valentino
Connoisseur
Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: some.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly1010 View Post
My question is this: If I buy a Kindle at Target or Bestbuy (immediate gratification!), will it still be covered by amazon the same as Kindle coming directly from them? Hopefully this makes sense.
I got mine at target and they said they didn't honor amazons warranty, just the target return policy. I did some searches and it looked like amazon won't extend their warranty to ones bought at target either.

I have had no problems so it doesn't matter to me, but if it happened to have problems later I'm not sure what I could do about it.
Valentino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 07:52 PM   #5
kranu
I <3 my Kindle
kranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Device: Kindle 3G + WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valentino View Post
I got mine at target and they said they didn't honor amazons warranty, just the target return policy. I did some searches and it looked like amazon won't extend their warranty to ones bought at target either.

I have had no problems so it doesn't matter to me, but if it happened to have problems later I'm not sure what I could do about it.
Amazon was happy to help me with my unlighted Kindle cover, although I bought it along with my Kindle at Staples. The warranty from Amazon applies, but the store you bought it from won't honor the Manufacturer warranty.
kranu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-08-2011, 08:24 PM   #6
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Amazon has the biggest and most complete online store in USA and probably in the world. It is true that maybe there are a few titles that cannot be found in Amazon (had not happened to me yet) but that happens in B&N as well.

In a short, Kindle users are backed up by a solid and big company and that's always a plus.

Regarding the warranty, I actually advise you to buy in a brick store Why? the device will be supported by Amazon anyway, but if there is a Best Buy or Target close to your home and the device failed, you just go back to the store and get a new one the same day. No waiting, nothing to ship, plain and simple. I also keep my original boxes and receipts for about 1 year. That helps a lot in case of potential issues.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 08:30 PM   #7
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valentino View Post

Hi Valentino,

Actually, I think that the brick store covers you for the initial 30 days or so. But if something happen after, the manufacturer warranty should apply. Is an electronic device made and sold by Amazon, so after the initial 30 days Amazon should cover you. You won't be in the oblivion, otherwise imagine the big problem and legal troubles for Amazon if no one wants to respond.

Another tip is never pay cash or with debit card, use credit cards instead, AMEX if possible. Your credit card company always covers you in disputes with the store. If you paid cash or debit, you paid directly to the store, the money is gone and you the warranty is your last and only resource then.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote