Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-12-2011, 04:37 PM   #1
montalex
Fanatic
montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KindleDX,Kindle 4, Kindle Keyboard 3G
Transfer of OS to new Kindle

Amazon is sending me a replacement for my Kindle 2 -- very generous of them, as the one year warrantly period is long over. The problem is a spongy page turn button, which actually still works, but I know these cheap micro switches, and I suspect that the switch will soon fail completely, and I want to get a new Kindle to transfer my books to before this happens.

May question is: Can I copy the contents of my current Kindle root folder to the new Kindle? I have a jail break, plus font, screensaver and timeout hacks installed, plus Duokan. I would imagine that there are some folders that are not user accessible, which have the device serial number, etc.

So, can I copy over my system files, everything that is visable on the Kindle drive, or do I need to reinstall everything. Which is not a big deal, I guess, but adding all of my books must be done a little bit at a time, I imagine, due to indexing.

Advice? Thanks.
montalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 04:38 PM   #2
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
You'd need to reinstall all your hacks and redownload any Kindle store items.
Tiersten is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-12-2011, 04:41 PM   #3
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
So, can I copy over my system files, everything that is visable on the Kindle drive, or do I need to reinstall everything. Which is not a big deal, I guess, but adding all of my books must be done a little bit at a time, I imagine, due to indexing.
I would guess that reinstalling everything will cause much less heartache than attempting to over-write the root fs.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 05:01 PM   #4
montalex
Fanatic
montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I would guess that reinstalling everything will cause much less heartache than attempting to over-write the root fs.
Thanks, DD. I'll do as you suggest. No problem with the books, because DRM is removed from all of my books. Another good reason to remove DRM!

Still, I guess I shouldn't add too many books at a time, right? I've read that indexing can take a long time if you add 100 books at a time.
Old 01-12-2011, 06:42 PM   #5
Bricorn
Addict
Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by montalex View Post

Still, I guess I shouldn't add too many books at a time, right? I've read that indexing can take a long time if you add 100 books at a time.
Yes but.

Just leave it on charge for a day or so (when you're not using it anyway) while it indexes and the number of books doesn't really matter.
Bricorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-12-2011, 08:37 PM   #6
montalex
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bricorn View Post
Yes but.

Just leave it on charge for a day or so (when you're not using it anyway) while it indexes and the number of books doesn't really matter.
Thanks, Bricorn. I'll drag and drop my books, plug the Kindle into the charger, and go to bed.

Tags
copy hacks, kindle, replacement, system