Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-21-2011, 06:42 PM   #316
Shankill
Nameless Being

Ohhh, doing it with Bluetooth. You don't need to use Bluetooth for tethering, though. If your phone's running Android 2.2 or higher, or iOS or WP 7.5, it's built into your phone.

Unless you're talking about file sharing and not tethering tethering.
Old 11-25-2011, 07:05 PM   #317
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by harveyj View Post
What we need for the Kobo Vox is a wireless tethering application
Most Android phones come out of the box with WiFi hotspot. Why not do that?
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 06:39 PM   #318
harveyj
harveyj began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo vox
I have a data package on my cell phone and i can use it to tether my laptop computer to the Internet. I don't need to be neare a WiFi Hotspot to do it. It would be nice if i could do the same thing with my Kobo Vox. Some one has done it for a nook tables but using bluetooth.but unfortunatly the Kobo Vox doesn't suport bluetooth connection
harveyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 06:58 PM   #319
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Harvey; if you want tethering on a tablet, why not buy a more full functioned one than the Vox. You are asking for Porshe features on a Lada budget.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 07:54 AM   #320
Shankill
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by harveyj View Post
I have a data package on my cell phone and i can use it to tether my laptop computer to the Internet. I don't need to be neare a WiFi Hotspot to do it. It would be nice if i could do the same thing with my Kobo Vox. Some one has done it for a nook tables but using bluetooth.but unfortunatly the Kobo Vox doesn't suport bluetooth connection
The Vox doesn't support it because it doesn't have a Bluetooth module, so it's not something that can be fixed with a firmware upgrade. Like The Terminator and I mentioned, any phone running Android 2.2 (or above), iOS or Windows Phone 7.5 can tether. So that's your only real option with the existing hardware.
Old 05-09-2012, 07:55 PM   #321
virgilash
virgilash began at the beginning.

Device: kobo touch
Pdf reflow
virgilash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 06:51 AM   #322
BensonBear
Enthusiast
BensonBear began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
Is PDF reflow really a priority?

Quote:
Originally Posted by virgilash View Post
Pdf reflow
You can get already get pdf reflow yourself by converting pdf to epub using one of the third party tools available. This way, you can control it yourself to do anything any of these tools can do, instead of relying on a Kobo implementation.

I bet you might say that the third party tools do not do a good job! Exactly! So why would you expect Kobo to do significantly better? In fact, it is nice the way it is, where users can turn pdf into a reflowable format any way they want to. Problem is, none of these ways available are good enough. Getting Kobo to add its own way is probably not going to help very much.

Do you really need pdf reflow? Would you be satisfied with an easily settable even/odd page zoom to cut the margins, and a very nice easy to use tap to advance or go back in document command, just like with epubs, so no panning required, ever, for typical documents? (See my other posts).

Pdf reflowing in general seems very difficult. One does one do with headers and footers and footnotes and margin notes? It is hard to cleanly extract them since pdf does not usually contain enough syntactic markup, only lexical markup. Pdf unlike epub is really not even designed to sensibly reflow.

It would take a lot of work to do a good job and it is not clear what a good job even is, so that many might still complain.

I strongly believe the correct thing to do is what I have described above and elsewhere, especially because IT IS SO DARN EASY to do!!
BensonBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 06:34 AM   #323
janpeeters
janpeeters began at the beginning.

Hi BensonBear,

I read your reply on reflow. Of course you can do this with Calibre, and it's probably the best way to go, but especially when you have to do a lot of PDF (or Word-doc) reading for your work it's most convenient if you could just hook up your Kobo reader, drag the PDFs on the disk, disconnect hop on a train and start reading. So a simple implementation would be nice.

Jan

By the way, can anyone of the moderators merge the two firmware suggestion threads? Would be most convenient. Thanks.
janpeeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 10:07 PM   #324
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
My biggest request right now is some sort of approximate roadmap for customers.

I finally managed to get the 2.0 update - but the slow page turns on sideloaded epubs is pretty much a dealbreaker for me. The weird, non-intuitive, too-many-clicks shelves management is close to another.

A better way to add books to the shelves is needed (especially from the Library, and just after adding new books); and the option to choose one shelf to put on a homepage carousel (or better, two!) would be very useful indeed. As it is, the shelves are pretty much more trouble than they're worth, for me.

Another thing on my wishlist would be an automatic "Currently Reading" shelf (or similar). Losing currently-reading books off the front page just because I add new books is really annoying.

Overall, after wrestling with this interface for a few days: I'm thinking of resetting and downgrading again to the previous firmware. This is based on the long, long gaps between previous firmware releases, and the lack of communication as to what Kobo may or may not be addressing in terms of bugfixes.

However, if there was some vague indication that a fix, at least for the slow page turns, was in the offing, I'd probably hold off. As it is, though? I can only assume it will be four months or more till the next update (and can only guess at what new bugs it might introduce).

Last edited by meeera; 07-19-2012 at 10:14 PM.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 06:04 PM   #325
Ladyrixx
Zealot
Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak EZ Reader Pocket Pro, Kobo Mini, Nook Glowlight 2, Kobo Forma
I would like either a "shelves" option for the Kobo wifi, or (preferably) a way to view a folder structure. That would make it much, much easier to find my books.

Seriously, my four-year-old EZ Reader could do it, my Kobo should be able to.
Ladyrixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 08:34 PM   #326
policeman0077
policeman0077 began at the beginning.

Device: kobo wifi
custom font
faster turn page speed
policeman0077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 05:56 PM   #327
Boruteczko
Boruteczko can differentiate black from dark navy blueBoruteczko can differentiate black from dark navy blueBoruteczko can differentiate black from dark navy blueBoruteczko can differentiate black from dark navy blueBoruteczko can differentiate black from dark navy blueBoruteczko can differentiate black from dark navy blueBoruteczko can differentiate black from dark navy blueBoruteczko can differentiate black from dark navy blueBoruteczko can differentiate black from dark navy blueBoruteczko can differentiate black from dark navy blueBoruteczko can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Wrong thread... Please, delete it.

Last edited by Boruteczko; 08-20-2012 at 07:27 PM. Reason: Wrong thread.
Boruteczko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 07:34 AM   #328
donnah
donnah began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs-5050, kobo touch
support for nested toc

The #1 new feature I would like to see in any kobo updates is support for nested tables of contents. My Sony PRS-505 does this.

I download news from several sources using Calibre and they often have both headings and subheadings in their tables of contents. The kobo lists all items sequentially, so the table of contents can be quite long. One I downloaded this morning has a 26-page table of contents! Given the relatively slow response time for page turns, it can be time consuming to make your way around.

My sony lists only the main headers, and when you select one you are taken to the sub-table of contents for that section. This is so much easier!

Many commercial ebooks have similar TOC structures, too.
donnah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 02:28 PM   #329
elsbeth21
elsbeth21 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Ereader
Hello,

I have a Kobo ereader with wifi, there was recently an update to the software and now when I try to use Calibre I get the following message:

calibre, version 0.8.65
WARNING: Failed: Kobo database version unsupported - See details

Your Kobo is running an updated firmware/database version. As calibre does not know about this updated firmware, database editing is disabled, to prevent corruption. You can still send books to your Kobo with calibre, but deleting books and managing collections is disabled. If you are willing to experiment and know how to reset your Kobo to Factory defaults, you can override this check by right clicking the device icon in calibre and selecting "Configure this device" and then the "Attempt to support newer firmware" option. Doing so may require you to perform a factory reset of your Kobo.

Any ideas on what I should do so that I can manage my e-book library with Calibre>

Thanks
elsbeth21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 06:49 PM   #330
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by elsbeth21 View Post
Hello,

I have a Kobo ereader with wifi, there was recently an update to the software and now when I try to use Calibre I get the following message:

calibre, version 0.8.65
WARNING: Failed: Kobo database version unsupported - See details

Your Kobo is running an updated firmware/database version. As calibre does not know about this updated firmware, database editing is disabled, to prevent corruption. You can still send books to your Kobo with calibre, but deleting books and managing collections is disabled. If you are willing to experiment and know how to reset your Kobo to Factory defaults, you can override this check by right clicking the device icon in calibre and selecting "Configure this device" and then the "Attempt to support newer firmware" option. Doing so may require you to perform a factory reset of your Kobo.

Any ideas on what I should do so that I can manage my e-book library with Calibre>

Thanks
Follow the directions to overide and carry on. Lots of threads with this question and I haven't seen any reports of negative effects.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
feature requests, firmware, kobo