Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-06-2008, 07:25 PM   #1
BuddyBoy
eBookin' Fool
BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, KK, iPad (Ex Prs 505, 500, Reb1100-2150, Rocket)
BookDesigner and fractions

I'm an amateur chef and have been trying to convert a number of my Lit format cookbooks into SonyReader format using BookDesigner. The problem I always seem to run into is the fractional measurements like 1/4, 1/2 and 3/4 which are using the special characters ¼, ½, and, surprise, ¾. They translate as ? when I import the non-drm .Lit file or if I import the exploded HTML file.

Funny though, if I do a simple cut and paste from the HTML, the characters do come over but I, of course, loose all the rest of the formatting.

Is there a translation value I need to set somewhere? Should I fiddle with the language settings?

Thanks in advance for any help.
BuddyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 04:06 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Make sure the language setting is set to something OTHER than English; I normally use German. You have to change the setting before importing the book.

Another option would simply be to replace the fractions by "1/4", "1/2", etc.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 04:54 PM   #3
BuddyBoy
eBookin' Fool
BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Make sure the language setting is set to something OTHER than English; I normally use German. You have to change the setting before importing the book.

Another option would simply be to replace the fractions by "1/4", "1/2", etc.
Thanks Harry, I'll give this a try. French probably makes a lot of sense for me to try since so many cooking terms have french accents which are also being stripped away.

I'll let you know how it turns out.

Mike
Old 02-08-2008, 05:50 PM   #4
BuddyBoy
eBookin' Fool

Worked like a charm! Thanks again Harry!
Old 02-11-2008, 08:15 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
My pleasure!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 12:25 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddyBoy View Post
Thanks Harry, I'll give this a try. French probably makes a lot of sense for me to try since so many cooking terms have french accents which are also being stripped away.

I'll let you know how it turns out.

Mike
French causes a number of other issues that are not all that easy to resolve. German tends to work best overall.

That said, since your are starting from LIT, you can try lit2lrf (part of Libprs500) and see if that works for your fractions.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bookdesigner