Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 09-09-2013, 06:50 PM   #421
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
ah yeah.
I can answer that one.

X is writing over your framebuffer...

shove a

kill -stop `pidof Xorg`

at the beginning
and...

kill -cont `pidof Xorg`
at the very end

That should stop the X

might also need a

while :; do eips ''; done
either in another shell or just tagged on.

You know this thing is not actually INTENDED for the PW right?
Thus the "titting around" is required.

Hope it helps.

(Which it will by the way, you are like two steps away from success)

EDIT: OH.... and before we have any more misunderstandings...

That is eips ''; as in two SINGLE quotes. not one Double. "

and those ` are backticks. Not single quote

Last edited by twobob; 09-21-2013 at 07:09 AM. Reason: ` = backticks
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 06:36 PM   #422
MarquezFTW
MarquezFTW is a splendid one to beholdMarquezFTW is a splendid one to beholdMarquezFTW is a splendid one to beholdMarquezFTW is a splendid one to beholdMarquezFTW is a splendid one to beholdMarquezFTW is a splendid one to beholdMarquezFTW is a splendid one to beholdMarquezFTW is a splendid one to beholdMarquezFTW is a splendid one to beholdMarquezFTW is a splendid one to beholdMarquezFTW is a splendid one to behold

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Cheers twobob! Got it going, well until the Kindle decided to reboot and mount as a USB device on its own.

Running:
kill -stop `pidof Xorg`(or with -cont)
from the .sh file just spat:
bad pid 'pidof Xorg'

They don't work on the command line like that either, with or without the single quotes. I just manually found the PID and ran it from the terminal.

I'm still having to resort to using the original kvncviewer.sh file over the on that inedible suggested on page 27/post 393. Doesn't like the while eips line you suggested either.
MarquezFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-10-2013, 06:47 PM   #423
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarquezFTW View Post
Cheers twobob! Got it going, well until the Kindle decided to reboot and mount as a USB device on its own.

Running:
kill -stop `pidof Xorg`(or with -cont)
from the .sh file just spat:
bad pid 'pidof Xorg'

They don't work on the command line like that either, with or without the single quotes. I just manually found the PID and ran it from the terminal.
Don't use single quotes ( ' ) , but backticks ( ` ).
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 10:37 AM   #424
ppoo
Connoisseur
ppoo writes the songs that make the whole world sing.ppoo writes the songs that make the whole world sing.ppoo writes the songs that make the whole world sing.ppoo writes the songs that make the whole world sing.ppoo writes the songs that make the whole world sing.ppoo writes the songs that make the whole world sing.ppoo writes the songs that make the whole world sing.ppoo writes the songs that make the whole world sing.ppoo writes the songs that make the whole world sing.ppoo writes the songs that make the whole world sing.ppoo writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: Kindle Touch
I've found NoVNC which help connect to VPN server through browser can work well on KT SkipStone though little bit slow.
Code:
C:\Python33\python.exe websockify --web "C:\Users\user\Downloads\kanaka-noVNC-v
0.4-94-g3cb89f5\kanaka-noVNC-3cb89f5" 0.0.0.0:6080 192.168.1.130:5900
WARNING: no 'resource' module, daemonizing decode may be slower
WebSocket server settings:
  - Listen on 0.0.0.0:6080
  - Flash security policy server
  - Web server. Web root: C:\Users\user\Downloads\kanaka-noVNC-v0.4-94-g3cb89f5\
kanaka-noVNC-3cb89f5
  - No SSL/TLS support (no cert file)
  - proxying from 0.0.0.0:6080 to 192.168.1.130:5900
For window users(installed python 3.3 and numpy before running)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/d5ph8euaeg...naka-noVNC.zip
For others:
https://github.com/kanaka/noVNC

Some image:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.png
Views:	324
Size:	30.4 KB
ID:	110827   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.png
Views:	363
Size:	32.4 KB
ID:	110828   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.png
Views:	350
Size:	27.4 KB
ID:	110829  

Last edited by ppoo; 09-11-2013 at 11:04 AM.
ppoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 04:47 PM   #425
MarquezFTW
MarquezFTW is a splendid one to beholdMarquezFTW is a splendid one to beholdMarquezFTW is a splendid one to beholdMarquezFTW is a splendid one to beholdMarquezFTW is a splendid one to beholdMarquezFTW is a splendid one to beholdMarquezFTW is a splendid one to beholdMarquezFTW is a splendid one to beholdMarquezFTW is a splendid one to beholdMarquezFTW is a splendid one to beholdMarquezFTW is a splendid one to behold

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I find that if I encounter animated gifs in a web browser while running my Paperwhite as an external monitor it crashes the session and I have to reboot my Kindle. I'm just curious as to what causes this. Is it due to pushing the Kindle's screen beyond it's comfortable refresh rate or is it overloading its CPU?
MarquezFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-11-2013, 05:58 PM   #426
HugeFanOfE-Ink
HugeFanOfE-Ink solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.HugeFanOfE-Ink solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.HugeFanOfE-Ink solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.HugeFanOfE-Ink solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.HugeFanOfE-Ink solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.HugeFanOfE-Ink solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.HugeFanOfE-Ink solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.HugeFanOfE-Ink solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.HugeFanOfE-Ink solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.HugeFanOfE-Ink solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.HugeFanOfE-Ink solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: Kindle DX
First -- I cannot thank the authors of this vnc viewer enough; it's a real life-(well, eyes at least!)saver.

A quick question:

I'm running the viewer on a DXG, and the overall sluggishness is my only complaint about the setup. (I'm not sure whether this is relevant, but the DXG is running v3.3; and given its inferior internals, it's barely able to cope anyway.) I'm a keyboard-shorcut junkie, so window management/navigation/button clicking etc. etc. isn't an issue at all; but what really bugs me is that when I'm typing, the DX display is usually 5-6 words behind my fingers (And I'm not a terribly fast typist).

I'm thinking of getting one of those new PWs that are coming at the end of this month. Could owners of the current generation PW confirm that it's at least possible to edit text on its screen, given the improved internals and the faster refresh rate?

Edit: I've seen the thread on the prospects of there being a jailbreak for the PW2; so I guess I shouldn't hold my breath for it anyhow... Still, I'm curious about the current gen PW.

Last edited by HugeFanOfE-Ink; 09-11-2013 at 06:18 PM.
HugeFanOfE-Ink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 06:41 PM   #427
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
No, sorry, at least not for the Kpw1 -

Due to the system implementation done by lab126, you can get at least six touches ahead of the processing, without even trying.

There is plenty of computer resources "under the hood" of either of the K5 models, just mostly being wasted.

Well, I will back off a bit on that - -
They set out to build an e-book reader, not a general purpose computer system.
And build an e-book reader they did.
If it has some failings as a general purpose computer system, well, "it wasn't in the job specs."

As a hint of what is 'under the hood' take a look at some of the compute intensive tasks being done here on Kindles -

Speaker independent, voice recognition and control -

Running IBM's mainframe VM/370 operating system, **under emulation**, with reasonable single session response -

A lot of the media processing (video and audio) being done on the Kindle.

So, yeah, it **could** have been designed to keep up with the fastest typist, but it wasn't.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 08:24 PM   #428
HugeFanOfE-Ink
HugeFanOfE-Ink solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.HugeFanOfE-Ink solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.HugeFanOfE-Ink solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.HugeFanOfE-Ink solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.HugeFanOfE-Ink solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.HugeFanOfE-Ink solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.HugeFanOfE-Ink solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.HugeFanOfE-Ink solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.HugeFanOfE-Ink solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.HugeFanOfE-Ink solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.HugeFanOfE-Ink solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

First -- thank you very much for the quick response.

The following in response to twobob's PM -- some metrics:

I'm connected via usb, RNDIS/Ethernet Gadget.

I first ssh'ed into the kindle; then ran vnc.

I ran htop (I had actually assumed that there'd be no sort of 'top' on the machine!); some results:

CPU usage:
While scrolling a pdf at normal reading speed, CPU usage is around 40-50%. Scrolling faster, it climbs to 80%.
A moderate typing speed with nothing else moving on the screen uses about 60-70%.
kindlevncviewer accounts for the cpu usage almost exclusively.

MEM usage:
64 out of 124MB appears full; this hasn't changed at all in about an hour. Before that (when I first ran htop, after a session of maybe 8 hours) it was around 90MB, I think.
kindlevncviewer uses 4.3% of the memory.
The rest appears to be claimed almost exclusively by a certain cluster of processes starting with 'CVM', launched like this:

/usr/java/bin/cvm -Xmx16m -Xgc:youngGen=1m -Dsun.awt.exception.handler=com.amazon.ebook.framew ork.impl.device.event.EventDispatchThreadException Handler -Xbootclasspath/a:/usr/java/lib/localedata.jar:/usr/java/lib/charsets.jar -Dsun.boot.library.path=/usr/java/lib -cp :/opt/amazon/ebook/lib/JFEP-0.1.0.jar:/opt/amazon/ebook/lib/journal-update.jar:/opt/amazon/...........and a whole bunch of other java thingies.

Also -- 'fsp' runs with the following options:

fsp /mnt/base-us /mnt/us -o rw,nosuid,nodev,noatime,max_write=65536,max_readah ead=65536

Also -- launchpad is running, though it's not using any resources.

Perhaps relevant -- I'm on OS X 10.8.4; the screen is set to greyscale; the display is the 1680x1050 version; vnc shows the upper left hand corner (I arrange the windows accordingly.)

It's embarrassing that I have to ask this, but I'm not sure how to extract information from the xterm window, aside from this somewhat qualitative description.
Old 09-11-2013, 09:41 PM   #429
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
hmm. None of those figures seem to be maxxing out the core resources...

Bottleneck elsewhere perhaps...

McGivering a similar test together now. (I hope)

EDIT: OKAY... I followed these instructions:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=326

and I can confirm that there is about a 1 to 2 seconds delay at the very most....
perhaps less.

This is using Linux & DX.

even scrolling around like crazy (which to be honest has very little value in term of usefulness) I didn't manage more than 69% cpu consumption.

The average was around 15%

Mem sat at about a 20% footprint, which again is nominal.

To be honest it was pretty decent as experiences go.

Not sure I would be super happy using it as a screen full time, and true, my typing sucks...
But yeah. not too bad. Certainly not way behind.

The vnc only occasionally did the odd "dumb" update or two:

Quote:
partially updating eink display (0,0)-(784,571)
partially updating eink display (0,0)-(479,1020)
partially updating eink display (0,0)-(822,1021)
partially updating eink display (823,100)-(0,1020)
partially updating eink display (823,100)-(0,1020)
partially updating eink display (0,0)-(822,1021)
partially updating eink display (448,100)-(635,950)
partially updating eink display (448,100)-(511,1020)
partially updating eink display (480,122)-(822,950)
partially updating eink display (823,100)-(0,950)
and mainly handled the partial updating pretty decently.

sorry I can't find the bottleneck. Frankly I don't see one.

I did get the very occasional
error while handling RFB message.
but meh.

apologies about that.
and yeah.... I also don't know how to scrape htop so we can be embarrassed together.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Selection_630.png
Views:	299
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	110877   Click image for larger version

Name:	Selection_625.png
Views:	291
Size:	75.9 KB
ID:	110878   Click image for larger version

Name:	Selection_626.png
Views:	268
Size:	82.2 KB
ID:	110879   Click image for larger version

Name:	Selection_627.png
Views:	293
Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	110880   Click image for larger version

Name:	Selection_628.png
Views:	273
Size:	84.9 KB
ID:	110881   Click image for larger version

Name:	Selection_629.png
Views:	311
Size:	84.9 KB
ID:	110882  

Last edited by twobob; 09-11-2013 at 10:17 PM.
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 12:02 AM   #430
ppoo
Connoisseur
ppoo writes the songs that make the whole world sing.ppoo writes the songs that make the whole world sing.ppoo writes the songs that make the whole world sing.ppoo writes the songs that make the whole world sing.ppoo writes the songs that make the whole world sing.ppoo writes the songs that make the whole world sing.ppoo writes the songs that make the whole world sing.ppoo writes the songs that make the whole world sing.ppoo writes the songs that make the whole world sing.ppoo writes the songs that make the whole world sing.ppoo writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: Kindle Touch
How can I invert color when running Kindlevncviewer on KT? Thanks.
ppoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 03:16 AM   #431
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
You can't, aside from adapting the sources and recompiling. I'm in a mood to do a rewrite of it soon, though. I'll have that on my list then. I'll probably migrate to implement much of the blitting in LuaJIT/FFI, so that would be highly scriptable. Another plan is to make it usable on the Kobo, too. I'll also implement the proper ioctl for newer devices' (K5, KPW) eink updates, so that awful "eips" loop can go away.

As for update regions and speed: That's a function of the RFB *server*. It is responsible for sending updated framebuffer regions. So my suggestion is to try those out a bit. Same for CPU usage: E.g. on a USB link, it doesn't make much sense to instruct client and server to use sophisticated compression algorithms for the tiles send back and forth. No good documentation at the moment, but kindlevncviewer hands its parameters down to this function of libvncclient: http://libvncserver.sourceforge.net/...44eb97d2356475 - there's the "-encoding" parameter to try out.
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 08:28 AM   #432
HugeFanOfE-Ink

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawhill View Post
As for update regions and speed: That's a function of the RFB *server*. It is responsible for sending updated framebuffer regions. So my suggestion is to try those out a bit. Same for CPU usage: E.g. on a USB link, it doesn't make much sense to instruct client and server to use sophisticated compression algorithms for the tiles send back and forth. No good documentation at the moment, but kindlevncviewer hands its parameters down to this function of libvncclient: http://libvncserver.sourceforge.net/...44eb97d2356475 - there's the "-encoding" parameter to try out.
Thanks for the tip. I did try out several -encoding options, though none seemed to have a discernible effect.

I'm using 'Vine Server' on OS X, which seems to be the best free server there is. It has too few options, though; so there's an option to choose between RFB Protocols 3.3, 3.7, and 3.8, but nothing else. Those options didn't make much of a change either.

I then connected the Kindle to a Windows 7 VM, tried both UltraVNC and TightVNC as servers. There *was* some improvement. I wonder whether it's (at least partly) due to the VM's resolution being set at 1280x768

If you have recommendations for a linux distro, I'd like to set another VM for that. I have an OpenSUSE VM ready at hand, so I'll experiment with it now.
Old 09-12-2013, 08:34 AM   #433
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
Not really. As a matter of fact, I never used this tool for anything in daily use :-) It was and is more or less just a bit of programming exercise. Maybe others can share their experiences...
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 08:40 AM   #434
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
OpenSUSE is not a good **general** choice, it is vastly different than most Linux distributions.
The same comment goes for Slackware.

If you want to pick and choose for yourself:
http://livecdlist.com/operating-system/linux

Or try:
(Beginner easy): http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/index-en.html
or
(More general purpose): http://www.linuxmint.com/download.html

Note: Some of the developers are using Linux Mint
(with the 'mate' desktop - not that it matters with Linux, you can load any/all desktops and choose between them at login time).

AND: I would recommend that you use them as a "Live CD" (possibly installed to other media) rather than trying to run them in a VM.
(Unless your Mac is one of the PowerPC versions.)

Last edited by knc1; 09-12-2013 at 08:43 AM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 09:07 PM   #435
HugeFanOfE-Ink

Question weird...

Thanks again for all the suggestions. I'm a bit puzzled now:

The vnc client clearly isn't taxing the DX's hardware; and the sluggishness is definitely due to the RFB server (but I don't know what to do about it; the -encodings parameters didn't make a difference; I can't find any settings on my vnc server; but anyhow).

Then while aimlessly surfing about, I came across the instructions for the 'Kindleberry Pi' (I have a Raspberry Pi as well; though I haven't tried anything with it yet.) -- wordpress link to the K-Pi. This is basically a recipe for using a Kindle screen as a console for the Raspberry Pi; so, following the instructions, I ran myts on the DX, and ssh'ed into my laptop; then I used tmux to take control of DX's ssh session from my laptop's keyboard.

The author of those instructions has a youtube video, where he's demonstrating, *on a K3*, the refresh rate of the screen while typing. Here's the video:

My tmux session, on the other hand, was just as sluggish as the vnc.

So this makes me wonder, again, whether it's the DX's hardware that is at fault.

(re: Mint/MATE -- thanks for the heads up; I did hear about MATE (possibly on the Linux Action Show), but hadn't tried it. I still like XFCE better )

Last edited by HugeFanOfE-Ink; 09-12-2013 at 09:11 PM.

Tags
application, kindle, source, viewer, vnc