Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 03-03-2012, 12:30 PM   #1
geronimo72
geronimo72 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Metadata from filename (regular expressions)

Hi,

sorry for this stupid questions, but I really suck at regular expressions and the default ones in Calibre do not work for me.

I would like to import big collection of books and I would like Calibre to extract the metadata from the filenames. I have following different filenames:
Adams Douglas, Carwardine Mark - Last Chance to See.txt
Adams Douglas - Dirk Gently: The Long Dark Tea Time of the Soul.txt
Adams Douglas - Mostly Harmless.txt

And here are the question:
1. which regular expression do I use to extract both authors from the filename, but it has to work also when there is only one author
2. I would like to have the text which is after "-" as the name of the book and to extract the series and the number of the series from this text also (if there are any)

I was able to change on default Calibre string to extract the second type of filename correctly, but it did not work with the first and the last one. Is there a way to handle these different filenames automatically or do I have to make manual corrections? I can of course change the filenames if it is needed, but it is really a lot of work and I would prefer to solve this by using the regular expression.

I have read also the tutorial for the regular expression, but as already mentioned I suck at it and was unable to use them correctly.

Thank you very much for your help.

Edit: new idea - maybe I can split the books in several groups depending on the filename and use different regular expressions, but I still need help with creating the correct expressions
geronimo72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 01:10 PM   #2
BookJunkieLI
Evangelist
BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle 4, Nook Gl4, Nook STR, REB 1100, Ebookwise 1500,
Have you looked at this thread Regex: File Renaming Pre-Import & Importing by penguinaka? I don't think you can account for all the variables at once, not without some serious regex knowledge which I really don't have either, but it should give you the expressions you want for each type of example. Hope it helps.
BookJunkieLI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 04:14 PM   #3
geronimo72
geronimo72 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
This is not exactly what I was looking for, but I might give it a try
geronimo72 is offline   Reply With Quote