Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 09-23-2009, 04:02 PM   #121
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
But you never know.. maybe a book like a cook book or a dictionary will get voted for just as a joke.
You never know about anything but I promise I won't be nominating a dictionary. The cookbook was just an off the top of my head idea but a cookbook like Alton Brown's "I Just Came Here for the Food" (the Good Eats guy) might be fun.

Anyway, the idea of the Wild Card month is to keep an open mind and let people suggest whatever book they want no matter the genre. You still have to vote for it and if a book you don't like is nominated, you aren't forced to read it. Read something else. Simple.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 04:04 PM   #122
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Flash Forward is nominated this month.

The problem I see with having MR Authors as a category is it's kinda limited.
I see your point.
Advert
Old 09-23-2009, 04:04 PM   #123
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Yes, but personally I like BOb's list better.
One thing I dislike about Bob's list is that he's removed having months that have books uploaded to MR specifically. Crime as a subject is too broad. Does not fit in with Mystery well. And I also like the idea of going outside of MR for some months.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 05:23 PM   #124
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
I'd like to see a "Fantasy" option. I know we have a SF but I don't consider fantasy and SF to be anywhere near each other.

Also what about other categories like.
Historical - Non Fiction
Historical Fiction
Apocalyptic

What about self-improvement books, some of them are dry but some are really good.

One suggestion also can you better define what "Contemporary" means. I know the last time we had this option there was a lengthy debate as to what it meant. Like books written in contemporary time or books that took place in contemporary time or both

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 10:47 PM   #125
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
When I suggested a Wild Card month, I wasn't thinking of using it as an also ran month. Those books that didn't win previously could be included but it should not be limited to the "losers" as it were. Who knows, someone may want to suggest a cook book or business book which aren't really covered in the other month's category.
Actually, we would have both... I just didn't update my list yet. I will post it in a minute.

I would call it Wild Card because it reminds me of the reality shows where the judges went back and picked some people that had been voted off but they felt had potential. Or, Wild Card like in the NFL when the teams that had the best records but didn't with the division make the playoffs and have a chance to go all the way.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-23-2009, 10:52 PM   #126
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

OK,

So here is the "final proposal"...

January
Science Fiction (rivets/science)
February
Romance
March
Nonfiction
April
Humor
May
Classic
June
Thriller/Suspense
July

Fantasy (trees/magic)
August
Free For All (any genre)
September
Mystery/Crime
October
Horror
November
Classic
December
Wild Card (no nominations, a vote of all the non-winning nominations from the last 11 months)

So, all the months are full.

I think we aren't going to agree 100% with everyone... but I think this seems to be the best compromise and includes all the genre's that most people have suggested.

BOb
Old 09-23-2009, 10:55 PM   #127
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Actually, we would have both... I just didn't update my list yet. I will post it in a minute.

I would call it Wild Card because it reminds me of the reality shows where the judges went back and picked some people that had been voted off but they felt had potential. Or, Wild Card like in the NFL when the teams that had the best records but didn't with the division make the playoffs and have a chance to go all the way.

BOb
Interesting. This is the definition, I've always used.

Wild Card (card games) - a playing card that substitutes for any other card in card games. (like Jokers are wild).

In the end, as long as there are both, it doesn't matter what it's called.
Old 09-23-2009, 10:56 PM   #128
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
I'd like to see a "Fantasy" option.
We do have a Fantasy month in the final proposal.

Quote:
Also what about other categories like.
Historical - Non Fiction
Historical Fiction
Apocalyptic
Historical - Non Fiction falls under nonFiction. Historical fiction and Apocalyptic and self-improvement will probably fit into another genre if not can be nominated during Free4All month.

Quote:
One suggestion also can you better define what "Contemporary" means. I know the last time we had this option there was a lengthy debate as to what it meant. Like books written in contemporary time or books that took place in contemporary time or both
Yes, all that confusion was a reason most people were happy to leave that category out.

BOb
Old 09-23-2009, 10:58 PM   #129
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
In the end, as long as there are both, it doesn't matter what it's called.
Agreed. If people want to call the "any genre" month Wild Card and call the "vote for all the non-winner" something else like Redux or Second Chance or whatever, I am fine with that.

BOb
Old 09-23-2009, 11:04 PM   #130
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
OK,

January
February
Romance
March
Nonfiction
April
Humor
May
Classic
June
Thriller/Suspense
July

Fantasy (trees/magic)
August
Free For All (any genre)
September
Mystery/Crime
October
Horror
November
Classic
December
Wild Card (no nominations, a vote of all the non-winning nominations from the last 11 months)

Quote:
I think we aren't going to agree 100% with everyone... but I think this seems to be the best compromise and includes all the genre's that most people have suggested.
Agreed.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 11:04 PM   #131
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
One thing I dislike about Bob's list is that he's removed having months that have books uploaded to MR specifically. Crime as a subject is too broad. Does not fit in with Mystery well. And I also like the idea of going outside of MR for some months.
I think most people found the "in the MR library" requirement too restrictive. Go back and re-read the previous months if you don't recall those discussions. Basically now we are going to say you can nominate it if:

1. It fits in the genre of the month.
2. It is available as an ebook.

If a book doesn't meet either of those two well I am sure someone will bring it up in the nomination thread. Heck, that is the point of the nomination thread too.

If we just want to call it Mystery and take off the word Crime I am ok with that.

Also, in regards to your SF/Fantasy being to similar I think some books will fit into both, and that's fine. Your list has/had SF/Fantasy twice, so I think having 1 month for each still gives us two months of those types of books.

I personally think that SF, Fantasy and Classic seemed to be the most popular genre's during the last year we have been doing this. So, that gives us 4 months for these popular categories.

BOb

Last edited by pilotbob; 09-23-2009 at 11:06 PM.
Old 09-23-2009, 11:14 PM   #132
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
I think most people found the "in the MR library" requirement too restrictive. Go back and re-read the previous months if you don't recall those discussions.
I agree. You can still nominate something from the MR library if you want. If it sounds decent to others the title being free would probably weigh in it's favor during voting.

Quote:
If we just want to call it Mystery and take off the word Crime I am ok with that.
It would be fine as "just" Mystery I think, doesn't really matter either way IMO.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 12:16 AM   #133
NormHart
Semper Carpe Bufo
NormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmos

Device: Kindle2 & Kindle3
Quote:
OK,

January
February
Romance
March
Nonfiction
April
Humor
May
Classic
June
Thriller/Suspense
July

Fantasy (trees/magic)
August
Free For All (any genre)
September
Mystery/Crime
October
Horror
November
Classic
December

BOb
Seconded
NormHart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 02:47 AM   #134
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Looks good to me. Let's go for it.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 08:05 AM   #135
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
OK,

January
February
Romance
March
Nonfiction
April
Humor
May
Classic
June
Thriller/Suspense
July

Fantasy (trees/magic)
August
Free For All (any genre)
September
Mystery/Crime
October
Horror
November
Classic
December

BOb
I love it!
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote