Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-05-2012, 05:36 AM   #1
mitch13
Groupie
mitch13 began at the beginning.

Device: Appraising the market
Calibre and Android

I have searched and only found reference to Calibre Companion which only seems to relate to reading books.
Is there any chance that Calibre will work at some stage with the Android operating system. I am currently running Android 4.0 (Ice Cream) on a tablet.

I do also run Calibre under Windows 7 Home Premium on a netbook and a PC - have for some years!

Regards

mitch13
mitch13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 06:19 AM   #2
Adoby
Handy Elephant
Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Thinkpad E595, Ubuntu Mate, Huawei Mediapad 5, Bouye Likebook Plus
You got to have some reader app on your Android device to read the books. I use Mantano, but there are many other apps, even free ones. You use calibre to maintain your library of books on your computer, and send part of it to your device, where you read the books using a reader app.

It is easiest to only have one computer with calibre. Otherwise there will be problems with differences between libraries.

You can transfer the books from calibre to your device using many different methods: Content Server; direct file copy over the network; USB-cable; cloud service; removable sd card or Calibre Companion. So Calibre Companion is mainly an app that helps you to get the books to your device. It also allows you to open specific books with some reading app on your device.

So calibre work great with android. But you still run calibre on your PC, not on the android device.

Last edited by Adoby; 10-05-2012 at 06:46 AM.
Adoby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-05-2012, 07:46 AM   #3
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
To be precise, there are no plans to port calibre to android.

It is possible that once calibre has been made client/server (a very long-term and long-running project) then someone might develop an android client. The client would be a lot of work, and I am not convinced that someone would take on the project.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 08:15 PM   #4
mitch13
Groupie
mitch13 began at the beginning.

Device: Appraising the market
Thanks Adoby - will try your options

mitch13
mitch13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 09:23 PM   #5
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
IRC someone was able to port calibre to nook touch. He was just using it to download the news on his nook touch directly without needing to use a computer. I am amazed this did not go further because of the number of android tablets and devices available I thought more people would be doing something like this to be able to download news directly.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...hlight=calibre
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-08-2012, 09:49 PM   #6
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopedangel View Post
IRC someone was able to port calibre to nook touch. He was just using it to download the news on his nook touch directly without needing to use a computer. I am amazed this did not go further because of the number of android tablets and devices available I thought more people would be doing something like this to be able to download news directly.
Nice info thanks for the link. If I read it correctly he installed a linux partition to run calibre to fetch his daily news. Very creative, but not an Android port.

Personally once I had an Android tablet I had access to easier methods of fetching my local and national news or blogs/web sites of interest, Google reader being one example, Flipboard being another. Because of this ease of access I no longer use calibre's fetch news feature.

Good Reading!

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 10-08-2012 at 09:51 PM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote