Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 10-24-2012, 07:53 PM   #34696
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Pooh, I know just how you feel. I too am deathly afraid of spiders, but when a little bitty red one (about 1/2" from leg to leg) spun its web in the upper corner of my shower when I lived in California, I became fascinated and couldn't take it down! Not quite as fascinated as you've become... I took some Artist's Plasticizer Spray Fixitive and coated the little bugger and its web. It stayed with us in the shower for two years. Oddly enough, it never moved.

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 07:57 PM   #34697
bjones6416
↓↓ Skirt!! Earrings!!
bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Acer netbook, JetBook Lite, Sony PRS-300, Kindle 2, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
OK - I've completely lost my marbles .... I can't believe what I just did ....

Long time MR lounge participants know that I have a near crippling arachnophobia! Even photos of spiders posted here have set me running for the spoiler tags (after my heart rate dropped below 100) ... so

We never use our front door ... there is a small porch with an overhead light ... which at this time of year becomes spider heaven. We only use the back door - which opens onto the driveway. The only people that come to the front door are unwanted visitors (Jehovah's witnesses, salesmen, etc.) ... and the UPS man.

So, this year a huge orb weaver spider (I'm sorry - I just can't post a photo) took up residence - and spun a huge web that completely spans the entrance to the porch - and hangs there trapping flying insects that are attracted to the porch light. My first reaction? Get out the broom & bug spray - EXTERMINATE! But I got sick and couldn't go outside. And began to watch her.

She's gorgeous! Typical black & yellow body markings. Beautiful zig-zag web! Yes reader, I named her. Emily.

Then last night I looked out - and the web was gone! No Emily! No web! I was frantic! Just on my way to bed I peeked out the side light - and there she was spinning a new web! Amazing! I don't know how long I stood there watching. But she's back now!

Tonight I realized I had a UPS delivery expected this week! Oh no! I can't let him hurt Emily -- or destroy the web. And he's too lazy to walk 10 feet around to the back of the house. He might kill her and think he's protecting us!

So .... I got a roll of "Caution Wet Paint" tape and taped over the front of the porch - leaving room for Emily of course! It is now physically impossible to climb onto the porch. He'll have to leave the box on the steps.

I'm protecting something that scares the beejeesus out of me! If I had touched the web whilst stringing up the Caution tape I would have had a coronary! Sigh ....

[I'm leaving the tape up until Halloween is over. With my luck, she will incorporate it into the web and I'll be stuck with it until she lays her egg sac and dies off at the end of fall. I'll probably be in tears then!]

I'm a big softie ...
I think that shows amazing personal growth, and I mean that sincerely. I think those orb weavers are amazing.
bjones6416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 07:59 PM   #34698
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
You have a kind heart, pooh.

Me, I love those spiders. We call 'em writing spiders because legend has it that if they write your name in their webs, you'll soon die. They're completely harmless, and as a kid I would often catch them and let them build webs all over me. While it looks like a white zig zag to us, the "writing" looks like a flower to insects who are viewing it with eyes that see in the ultra-violet spectrum.

We currently have one of those big orange spiders right outside our back door. For two days I ducked under the web, then my son came by and destroyed the web. The spider built it back, but only half-way so I no longer needed to duck under it but instead simply side-step it for the last couple of days. I thought maybe it had learned its lesson, but today it reconstructed the web to again cover the entire top half of the doorway. I'm afraid I wasn't feeling too charitable at the time and brushed it aside rudely while saying something rather unpleasant to the spider. In a while, I'll go back out to the gazebo to read a bit. If the spider is there again, I'll catch it in my hand and put it beside the rear window. Maybe it'll take the hint.

Speaking of wildlife, a young robin got into the gazebo today and couldn't figure out how to get out. After chasing Chrystal and Norton away, I tried to demonstrate where the doorway was and the screen wasn't, but my fine feathered friend turned out to be a real birdbrain. So I placed my hands under the screen where the exhausted critter fell into them and I walked out of the gazebo with it. Once outside, it realized it was free and the robin took off out of my cupped hands like a bat out of hell without so much as a "CHIRP chirp", which as everyone knows is robinspeak for "Thanks, pal."
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 08:38 PM   #34699
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Thanks all for your kind thoughts ....

Tom - I never knew about the writing! I'll be watching closely now to see if any strands look like "POOH" - just in case I stop posting here ...

I know those big orange ones - I don't like them b/c if you brush one of the down strands of their web they drop onto you! Yes, it has happened to me! They build on the eaves over our deck - this time of year you need to clear the doorway with a yard stick before stepping out first thing in the morning.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 08:48 PM   #34700
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
right now, I'm watching:

kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 08:31 AM   #34701
red_phoenix
Grand Sorcerer
red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
@ Poohbear...I would like to say that we are afraid of the things we do not understand but that would be a lie. I am terrified of thunder & lightening storms. But I do find there are times when I can watch one without feeling afraid (mostly ) much like you have done with your little spider.

Thank you for sharing your experience.
red_phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 11:43 AM   #34702
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by red_phoenix View Post
@ Poohbear...I would like to say that we are afraid of the things we do not understand but that would be a lie. I am terrified of thunder & lightening storms. But I do find there are times when I can watch one without feeling afraid (mostly ) much like you have done with your little spider.

Thank you for sharing your experience.
Very true - things can be both frightening & fascinating ....
Old 10-25-2012, 02:06 PM   #34703
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
pooh, I am glad you were able to appreciate that little spider, but I would like you to know that I had nightmares about them last night. They were making webs over my doors to the house.

Next, there was crime scene tape over both doors and police cars were parked in the street. Then my dream did a transition to a CSI type program trying to discover how those spiders were involved in the mysterious death of the resident of the house.

*I really hate spiders*

Right now, I am drinking too-strong coffee to wake up after those nightmares last night.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 02:34 PM   #34704
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad M1 Pro, Kindle Paperwhite
Watching a marathon of Buffy The Vampire Slayer episodes on Amazon Prime.
Dylrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 03:39 PM   #34705
poohbear_nc
Now what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreams View Post
pooh, I am glad you were able to appreciate that little spider, but I would like you to know that I had nightmares about them last night. They were making webs over my doors to the house.

Next, there was crime scene tape over both doors and police cars were parked in the street. Then my dream did a transition to a CSI type program trying to discover how those spiders were involved in the mysterious death of the resident of the house.

*I really hate spiders*

Right now, I am drinking too-strong coffee to wake up after those nightmares last night.

Yikes! You had the nightmares I was dreading! It sounds ridiculous, but naming her Emily made her much less threatening to me.

Of course, if I go home and find her on my recliner, that attitude may change ...

Watch a couple of Winnie the Pooh movies - they'll give you warm & fuzzy dreams [unless you're frightened by the Heffalumps & Woozles!]
Old 10-25-2012, 04:13 PM   #34706
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Thanks pooh. I pulled out my Eeyore coffee mug for my coffee this morning to chase away the leftover scary thoughts.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 02:55 AM   #34707
SneakySnake
I'm watching you!
SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-900(unused lately) iPadAir2, want me Kindle Oasis
Trying to figure out where Toochow is. Are there any really old people who know the Asian region out there? Google doesn't seem to understand what I am talking about. There is obviously a new translation out there. It doesn't help that the document I am trying to read is from 1881, and it could possibly be Foochow???

I think Foochow is Fuzhou, Fujian. Anybody know?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	toochow.jpg
Views:	361
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	94926  
SneakySnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 03:13 AM   #34708
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
Maybe it could be Taochow (or something like that) in China but I don't know if it has a port.
(Look here for instance: http://www.gomapper.com/travel/where...w-located.html)
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 04:11 AM   #34709
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by SneakySnake View Post
Trying to figure out where Toochow is. Are there any really old people who know the Asian region out there? Google doesn't seem to understand what I am talking about. There is obviously a new translation out there. It doesn't help that the document I am trying to read is from 1881, and it could possibly be Foochow???

I think Foochow is Fuzhou, Fujian. Anybody know?
Appears to be in China.
From "The dictionary of needlework : an encyclopædia of artistic, plain, and fancy needlework ..." Toochow was the ancient seat of Chinese embroidery, but at Canton and Ning-po a great deal is now worked, particu- larly large screens, fan cases, and robes,....

And from New Zealand Herald, Volume XIX, Issue 6567, 4 December 1882, Page 7, it appears that Toochow embroidery was part of a ship's manifest along with other Chinese goods.

The Argus (Melbourne, Vic. ) Saturday 23 May 1885 Page 8 also mentions Toochow, as does The Sydney Morning Herald (NSW ) 7 September 1885 on page one discussing shipping to Hong Kong and Toochow.

However, it very well may be an incorrect transliteration from Soochow, which is near Shanghai. Hong Kong and Shanghai were both very active shipping ports, especially in the late 1800's. I've seen a LOT of 'Japanglish' that interchanges 'too,' 'tsu,' and 'soo.' Might be a problem with Chinese too. I don't speak enough of it to know.

Stitchawl

Last edited by Stitchawl; 10-26-2012 at 04:47 AM.
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 04:47 AM   #34710
SneakySnake
I'm watching you!
SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-900(unused lately) iPadAir2, want me Kindle Oasis
Interlesting - I also only found very old references to Toochow. I didn't find the embroidery thingy though.

the passengers mostly originated from Canton, which I think is Guangdong. A big place.

Quote:
The Argus (Melbourne, Vic. ) Saturday 23 May 1885 Page 8 also mentions Toochow, as does The Sydney Morning Herald (NSW ) 7 September 1885 on page one discussing shipping to Hong Kong and Toochow.
May imply Hong Kong and Toochow were nearby?

My first guess was that Toochow was the port for Canton??? It would appear that the name has been lost to current use.

I need a chinese friend to sort out this whole (mum's grandfather) thing.
SneakySnake is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
android, banana bread - yummy, bread machines, drunk college student, duck!, hooters, how to make apple butter, how to make cream soda, invasion of privacy, liquid eyeliner, plockhoy, spice trade, thread that never ends, unutterable silliness, wait, what?