Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 09-19-2013, 03:20 PM   #23011
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
I agree with everyone on this.

Closed captions worked well for me on my last TV, but the one I have now is a 19" that thinks it's a wall model. The font is so small I can't see it unless I'm no more than two or three feet from it.

And despite the fact that my ears aren't what they used to be, I still have no problem hearing the dialog on old TV shows from the 50s and 60s. In shows today the actors speak in mumbled whispers that are drowned out by blaring music and street noises.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 06:04 PM   #23012
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Now for something completely different ....

So, how stupid is my boss you ask?
[He's a millionaire and and an 'esteemed' business leader in the community.]

Well, he calls me into his office this afternoon to show me that he's just won a free iPad - just by clicking on this link. He wanted to reassure me that yes, he was VERY careful this time before he clicked. He was the 100,000 visitor to the website, and the box had "This is not a joke" flashing on it -- so it must be legit, right? So he clicked ... and began answering those harmless survey questions .....

Spent the rest of the afternoon 'disinfecting' his hard drive and keeping a straight face .....

Sometimes I wonder how he remembers to breathe ....
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-20-2013, 08:40 AM   #23013
Lady Blue
the snarky blue one
Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS500, 505 & 600, PRST1 & T2, Kindle PW, Moto Razr, Galaxy Tab 2-10"
Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post

Well, he calls me into his office this afternoon to show me that he's just won a free iPad - just by clicking on this link. He wanted to reassure me that yes, he was VERY careful this time before he clicked. He was the 100,000 visitor to the website, and the box had "This is not a joke" flashing on it -- so it must be legit, right? So he clicked ... and began answering those harmless survey questions .....

Spent the rest of the afternoon 'disinfecting' his hard drive and keeping a straight face .....

Name:  please_wait.gif
Views: 305
Size:  1.8 KB

Name:  i_see_dumb_people.jpg
Views: 268
Size:  5.5 KB

(My condolences to you and your co-workers, pooh.)
Lady Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 09:11 AM   #23014
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Damn, now I have a virus on my computer.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 09:21 AM   #23015
wannabee
Media Bloke
wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iOS
Never had a virus on one of my computers since the first one in 1985. The PC at work always has them.
wannabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-20-2013, 03:59 PM   #23016
Roger Parkinson
Zealot
Roger Parkinson lived happily ever after.Roger Parkinson lived happily ever after.Roger Parkinson lived happily ever after.Roger Parkinson lived happily ever after.Roger Parkinson lived happily ever after.Roger Parkinson lived happily ever after.Roger Parkinson lived happily ever after.Roger Parkinson lived happily ever after.Roger Parkinson lived happily ever after.Roger Parkinson lived happily ever after.Roger Parkinson lived happily ever after.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S
We haven't had a virus since sometime in the '80s, or not one we know about anyway. Maybe all our machines are working as zombies for some Russian crime syndicate
Probably not though. Mrs runs her anti-virus every week while I snigger and ask when she will switch to Linux.
Roger Parkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 01:11 AM   #23017
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)

I have never gotten a virus, EVER, on my PC machines, and I even have always sticked to Internet Explorer.

Ad/Spyware on the other hand, yeah, those always came through. But easy enough to nuke with the right program.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 01:31 AM   #23018
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
....So, how stupid is my boss you ask?....
I see now why you don't use your real name on these boards.

Quote:
...Spent the rest of the afternoon 'disinfecting' his hard drive....
I'll tell you a story, but let me do it via PM.

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 09-21-2013 at 01:41 AM.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 05:31 AM   #23019
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
Quote:

Well, he calls me into his office this afternoon to show me that he's just won a free iPad - just by clicking on this link.
It's nice to see that these "getting something for free" tricks also work with people who could buy the item without noticing the smallest difference in their purse. Oh, human nature!
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 07:31 AM   #23020
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billi View Post
It's nice to see that these "getting something for free" tricks also work with people who could buy the item without noticing the smallest difference in their purse. Oh, human nature!
It was my thought too
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 09:41 AM   #23021
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Oh ..... I could tell you stories you'd never believe .... about "something for nothing" snaring the wealthy .....

Did I mention years of explaining that just because someone sent you an eCard to your email .... it just might not be from someone you know? DON'T OPEN THAT CARD!!!!! *click* *BAM* *My computer has stopped working .... again ... fix it please ... now .... I want to check my email*
Old 09-21-2013, 09:51 AM   #23022
KyBunnies
Book & Bunny Crazy
KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3 (x2), Fire HD 7-inch (x2), Fire HDX 8.9, Acer Android Tablet
Quote:
Did I mention years of explaining that just because someone sent you an eCard to your email .... it just might not be from someone you know? DON'T OPEN THAT CARD!!!!! *click* *BAM* *My computer has stopped working .... again ... fix it please ... now .... I want to check my email*

All I can say is you have more patience with stupid people than me. Good luck I think you will need it

To bad you cannot lock specific websites on his computer
KyBunnies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 10:06 AM   #23023
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
Quote:

The scary thing about it is - see my emphasis above.
I bet, keeping the straight face was the hardest part of it.

Quote:
Do you really wonder?

Quote:
Oh ..... I could tell you stories you'd never believe .... about "something for nothing" snaring the wealthy .....

As mentioned above, sorry that's your boss... Your real name isn't Dilbert?
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 10:31 AM   #23024
poohbear_nc
Now what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeshadow View Post
The scary thing about it is - see my emphasis above.
I bet, keeping the straight face was the hardest part of it.

I am ready to compete and win in World Championship Poker! I never change expression!

As mentioned above, sorry that's your boss... Your real name isn't Dilbert?
Remember when Dilbert's boss thought his password was '******' - because that's what he saw every time he typed his password into the box? That's the level of non-knowledge I'm dealing with .... daily ....

As long as he signs the paychecks, I'm doomed .....
Old 09-23-2013, 01:20 PM   #23025
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Quote:

It's good to have someone who pays my salary AND keeps me busy.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
creepy crawlers!, dell computers, monteverdi, thread that never ends, tubery, unutterable silliness