Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 10-31-2013, 12:12 PM   #1
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
November 1st is the big day.

Can anyone tell me why a 64GB iPad would be just as good as a 128GB iPad?

Can anyone tell me why a 128GB iPad instead of a 64 GB iPad might be a bad idea?

I retire in January, and this might be the last iPad I buy for a very long time.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 12:30 PM   #2
GRiker
Comparer of the Ephemeris
GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Probably the largest single consumer of storage space would be videos, either movies you plan to watch on the device, or video you intend to edit on the device.

If you plan to store and edit thousands of photos on the device, that would be a factor as well.

If you're a musician, music projects can take a large amount of storage as well.

G
GRiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-31-2013, 01:13 PM   #3
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The idea of doing music projects on the iPad is one reason I was thinking of the larger capacity. I already have a keyboard that can be used with it. On the other hand, I remember when the first generation came out that there were some problems with overheating being reported with the 64GB models. I wonder if the 128GB iPad Air might be subject to overheating?
Old 10-31-2013, 02:20 PM   #4
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

My trigger finger is on the "Buy" button, and unless someone can persuade me otherwise, I'll order the 128GB Wifi only iPad on November 1st at 3 AM EST.

From 9to5Mac:
Quote:
When the Apple Online Store goes live on November 1st at midnight Pacific Time (3 AM EST), customers will be able to order iPad Airs to be shipped to their addresses…
Old 10-31-2013, 02:53 PM   #5
cortman
Zealot
cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kindle 3 3g, Nook HD+, Nexus 4 (Mantano)
No! Get an Asus Transformer!

I can't think of any reason not to if you are aiming for it. I am not an Apple fan or user, so I would go with an Android device. I am a big fan of the (finally!) thinner bezels on the new iPads- something I though they should have done a while back.
cortman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-31-2013, 03:02 PM   #6
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
I was originally going to look for the iPad 4 on sale but I've decided on the 16GB Wi-fi Air. I just can't justify the $100 more for the 32GB. I probably won't order it until 5:30am EST though. Can't wait! It's my birthday present to me
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 04:37 PM   #7
GRiker
Comparer of the Ephemeris
GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
@WT Sharpe, one more factor to make you go big:

From gottabemobile.com:
At the largest storage level, iPad Air buyers pay $5.46/GB for a Wi-Fi only device and $6.24/GB for the LTE version. Compare that to $31.19/GB for the 16 LTE model and $24.94/GB for the Wi-Fi only model. The 128GB LTE iPad Air model offers the best price per GB ratio, but only a few people will really need that much storage. People who like to get a bargain but can afford a larger storage, will actually get a better deal per GB if they go big.
G
GRiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 04:54 PM   #8
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
What music apps do you currently use? Even at 16GB my iPad Mini has overheated. I think it's an app issue more than a hardware issue.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 05:33 PM   #9
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post
What music apps do you currently use? Even at 16GB my iPad Mini has overheated. I think it's an app issue more than a hardware issue.
GarageBand and MusicStudio are the main two, but there are others currently on my iPad 1. I've been waiting for retirement to really get into them.
Old 10-31-2013, 06:17 PM   #10
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel
Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3*iPad, SamsungNote & Tabs, 2*OnyxBoox, Huawei 8″, PocketBook
LOL at moving from 1st gen iPad straight to iPad Air... it will feel like feather to you, and you might feel as if your eyesight dramatically improved overnight. Anyway, congrats! (Especially on the retirement.)

As to the storage options, I always go for the lowest local storage available, because I primarily rely on cloud storage anyway, but also for price reasons. Also, I don't play 3D games on iDevices (those can consume lots of space), nor do I work on music or video projects (GarageBand, etc., is certainly a space-hungry app). If money is not an issue, there's no reason not to go straight for the 128 GB device.
Faterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 07:35 PM   #11
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
GarageBand and MusicStudio are the main two, but there are others currently on my iPad 1. I've been waiting for retirement to really get into them.
Right, I use Cubasis. Haven't touched GarageBand since I got it. Music projects are not like video ones where the projects grow into 7GB files before they're compressed to 2GB. I think you could easily have 10 of them going on within 32GB of space. When you bounce them, they go down to 100MB, and when you get to that point it's easy enough to just push the project files to your computer, Dropbox, whatever, and pull them in again later on.

The MIDI instruments are small, it's the loops, imported samples/files, and stuff you record through a microphone that becomes an issue.

I would get the 128GB simply because you might find that everything else will eat into it at 64GB.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 07:50 PM   #12
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
I tend to get the highest memory available. I like to down load a lot of stuff to my iPad for those times when I'm not on line, plus I have a few apps that can take up a lot of space. Right now, I have a 64G iPad 2 (last of the old connectors). I will probably get a 128G iPad after Xmas.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 08:26 PM   #13
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post
Right, I use Cubasis. Haven't touched GarageBand since I got it. Music projects are not like video ones where the projects grow into 7GB files before they're compressed to 2GB. I think you could easily have 10 of them going on within 32GB of space. When you bounce them, they go down to 100MB, and when you get to that point it's easy enough to just push the project files to your computer, Dropbox, whatever, and pull them in again later on.

The MIDI instruments are small, it's the loops, imported samples/files, and stuff you record through a microphone that becomes an issue.

I would get the 128GB simply because you might find that everything else will eat into it at 64GB.
You have convinced me. 128 GB iPad Air order in T minus 6 hours, 34 minutes.
Old 10-31-2013, 09:39 PM   #14
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Quote:
Can anyone tell me why a 64GB iPad would be just as good as a 128GB iPad?

Can anyone tell me why a 128GB iPad instead of a 64 GB iPad might be a bad idea?

I retire in January, and this might be the last iPad I buy for a very long time.
1st, congratulations .... not for the iPad, but for the very well deserved retirement.

A 64GB iPad would be as good as 128GB because this is the cloud era. Unless you need to keep videos locally, 64GB should be more than enough. You will need a huge ebook library to fill that or tons of mp3 files. Still is possible, but for normal day to day tasks 64GB should be more than enough.

128GB, in my opinion, is too much. Again, unless you are that type of user that keeps and wants everything local, anything less will be a huge limitation. Difficult to tell if that's your case though, only you can confirm.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 09:42 PM   #15
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Quote:
Read too fast.

If that's the case, 64GB may be not enough. like Jessica said, GarageBand app consumes lot of internal space and if you are planning to use it a lot, you may be constrained.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote