Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 04-06-2008, 07:30 PM   #1
charlieperry
Connoisseur
charlieperry doesn't littercharlieperry doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS 505
Sony ebook vouchers

I'm just going to be blatant about this. Will anyone buy me some ebook vouchers and I'll pay you through paypal. US$50 would be fine. I just want to try out the service for the moment.
charlieperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 04:08 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
"Leaping Gnome" kindly provides this service to people. Send him a PM.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-09-2008, 09:35 AM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I have purchased eBook vouchers for others recently. You have to go to a Borders store to do it and they have to have the gift cards in stock.

Charlie, see PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 12:32 PM   #4
volwrath
Guru
volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SGS3/PW2/Nexus72
Charlie, if you cant get anyone else to buy the giftcard, let me know.

Last edited by volwrath; 04-09-2008 at 12:46 PM. Reason: being inflammatory again *sigh*
volwrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 07:10 PM   #5
mollybo
Connoisseur
mollybo plays well with othersmollybo plays well with othersmollybo plays well with othersmollybo plays well with othersmollybo plays well with othersmollybo plays well with othersmollybo plays well with othersmollybo plays well with othersmollybo plays well with othersmollybo plays well with othersmollybo plays well with others

Device: Rocket eBook, Gemstar, and Kindle 3
Do you have a Sony account yet? If you don't, I have a code for $10 in credit that came with my PRS 505 - I couldn't use it because I had already purchased books.
mollybo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-10-2008, 04:48 PM   #6
JTravers
Groupie
JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I have purchased eBook vouchers for others recently. You have to go to a Borders store to do it and they have to have the gift cards in stock.
Much simpler and quicker to just buy through the Sony Connect/eBook Store and receive the gift card code via email.
JTravers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 04:54 PM   #7
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTravers View Post
Much simpler and quicker to just buy through the Sony Connect/eBook Store and receive the gift card code via email.
Ah, but the problem for people outside the USA is that Sony will only sell to those with a US credit card. This means that those of us in Europe and elsewhere are driven to these expedients.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 10:41 AM   #8
JTravers
Groupie
JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia View Post
Ah, but the problem for people outside the USA is that Sony will only sell to those with a US credit card. This means that those of us in Europe and elsewhere are driven to these expedients.
I realize that (I've purchased gift cards for people outside the USA in the past). If you notice what I was replying to, you'll see that I meant that it's easier and quicker for someone to purchase the gift cards for another via the Sony eBook Store instead of having to go to a Borders and hope they have a physical gift card in stock.
JTravers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 07:08 PM   #9
Zubzai
Zubzai began at the beginning.

Device: prs-505
Hi all;just another avid reader who has recently purchased a sony prs-505. I have the same problem. I am looking for someone to buy me a $100 dollar voucher for the ebook store. If anyone can help I would be really grateful. THe annoying thing is that I bouight the reader while in the US and could have bought voucyhers too if anyone had told me at the store that I would have a problem. I guess they just didnt know about the draconian laws which govern us in Europe.

many many thx in advance
Zubzai
Julian
Zubzai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 08:00 PM   #10
Mr. Goodbar
Wizard
Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.

Device: iPad Mini 4
This is just my personal opinion, but I find it easier to just buy .lit from fictionwise or some other store and convert for the sony. This gives me great flexibility in formatting to my personal tastes. It may just be me, but I haven't liked the formatting of any of the books I purchased through the Sony store. The margins are way to wide for my tastes. Also, fictionwise and some of the other stores tend to have better prices as well.
Mr. Goodbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 08:10 PM   #11
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I agree. And, if you convert the book then you can keep it if you ever change devices, re-converting if necessary.
But Leaping Gnome has bought gift vouchers for a number of forum members.
Old 05-25-2008, 06:56 AM   #12
ChuckEggDotCom
ChuckEggDotCom began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Goodbar View Post
This is just my personal opinion, but I find it easier to just buy .lit from fictionwise or some other store and convert for the sony. This gives me great flexibility in formatting to my personal tastes. It may just be me, but I haven't liked the formatting of any of the books I purchased through the Sony store. The margins are way to wide for my tastes. Also, fictionwise and some of the other stores tend to have better prices as well.
I use my Sony Reader quite a bit and have owned it since July 2007

I agree with Mr. Goodbar that the formatting for personal books have margins that are too wide and fonts that are too small. It's better to convert books to make fonts larger and margins narrower.
ChuckEggDotCom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 08:35 PM   #13
Zubzai
Zubzai began at the beginning.

Device: prs-505
how easy is it to reformat books? having never done it before I am a little reticent.
Zubzai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 06:47 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia View Post
I agree. And, if you convert the book then you can keep it if you ever change devices, re-converting if necessary.
But Leaping Gnome has bought gift vouchers for a number of forum members.
One needs to be aware, however, that DRM removal is technically illegal in many countries, including the UK. One is, of course, highly unlikely to come to grief doing it for solely personal use, but it is an issue which one should at least be aware of.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 08:53 AM   #15
Patricia
Reader

Harry is correct, of course. But it is possible to buy non-DRM'd LIT files in several places.