Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 10-15-2012, 12:36 PM   #9676
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Daithi, you're on the right track. Very good. Now let us see you score a TD.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 12:49 PM   #9677
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
Daithi, you're on the right track. Very good. Now let us see you score a TD.
I'm afraid I'm not that great with names, and that's all I can remember without going and looking up the answer, but hopefully I'll inspire someone else.
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-15-2012, 01:15 PM   #9678
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daithi View Post
I'm afraid I'm not that great with names, and that's all I can remember without going and looking up the answer, but hopefully I'll inspire someone else.
If you're like me it comes to you at the oddest moments. Once you start focusing the brain on something you know you should know you will know it before you realize it.
Old 10-15-2012, 03:00 PM   #9679
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daithi View Post
Frederick Douglass -- I remember that Douglass was not the name with which he was born. He ran away from his owners and went to New York with the help of his girlfriend, who was already a free black woman, and they got married and took the name Douglass. I can't remember why he chose Douglass or what his birth name was, but I think Washington was part of it. I also think his grandmother's name was part of it (he was separated from his mother when he was a baby). His autobiography is pretty good book.

Maybe my running on will spark someone else's memory.
I read that too and agree it was good.

I think the name started with a B?
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 03:03 PM   #9680
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic

His last name indeed begins with a B.
Advert
Old 10-16-2012, 01:09 AM   #9681
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
Well, since no one has answered the Douglas question, I started rereading the Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglas. He was born with the name "Frederick Augustus Washington Bailey" and went by the name Frederick Bailey (his mom and grandmother's name). When he married his wife he took the name Johnson. However, when they left New York and ended up in New Bedford there were so many people named Johnson living there that it was difficult to distinguish between them, so he had an abolitionist (ironically named Johnson) that he was staying with in New Bedford give him a new name. The abolitionist chose Douglas from the poem Lady of the Lake where Ellen Douglas is the heroine of the poem.
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 03:11 AM   #9682
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic

A thorough and exact answer. But if I understand the rules correctly, looking up answers doesn't yield any points. (I am new to this thread so correct me if I'm wrong).
There are still a few questions left. I thought this topic would be finished within an hour or two. I will give this the rest of the day, by bedtime, 13 hours from this posting, I will give the remaining answers and declare a winner.
Old 10-16-2012, 11:22 AM   #9683
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic

Quote:

a) Dickens Charles John Huffam orlok
b) Cervantes Miguel de Saavedra dreams
c) Dickinson Emily Elizabeth poohbear
d) Tolstoy
e) Roget
f) Eliot (not Thomas Stearns, ie George) Mary Anne Evans poohbear
g) Dostoyevsky Fyodor Mikhaylovich Bookpossum
h) Douglass Frederick Augustus Washington Bailey provided by Daithi
i) Tolkien John Ronald Reuel pdurrant
j) Molière
Poohbear 2
Bookpossum 1
pdurrant 1
orlok 1
dreams 1

So can anyone provide answers for
Tolstoy
Roget, and
Molière?
Old 10-16-2012, 01:27 PM   #9684
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Tolstoy - One of the names started with a N? I think it was or still is a pretty common name.

Molière - His first name was the same as an old fiance... Jean-Baptiste
Old 10-16-2012, 02:14 PM   #9685
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic

Tolstoy does have a name starting with an N. Molière does indeed have the first name Jean-Baptiste, but what was his last name?

Last edited by Kumabjorn; 10-16-2012 at 03:53 PM.
Old 10-16-2012, 02:33 PM   #9686
dreams
It's about the umbrella

That was as much as I knew or could guess.
Old 10-16-2012, 03:05 PM   #9687
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic

Another hour or so and the hidden shall be revealed.
Poohbear is still ahead, but it isn't decided yet.
Old 10-16-2012, 03:56 PM   #9688
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic

Ok, here we go.
Lev Nikolayevich Tolstoy.
Peter Mark Roget, he didn't start on his Thesaurus untill he was 61. This is one I thought would be easy, because I assumed most MR members would have a copy.
Finally, Jean-Baptiste Poquelin is Molière's real name.
Winner is Poohbear, take it away.
Old 10-16-2012, 05:34 PM   #9689
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
Peter Mark Roget, he didn't start on his Thesaurus untill he was 61. This is one I thought would be easy, because I assumed most MR members would have a copy.
I'm sure I have a copy somewhere, but going to look up his name in that would surely be as much cheating as looking it up with google.

But John Ronald Reuel Tolkien I had from memory.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 05:57 PM   #9690
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
I'm sure I have a copy somewhere, but going to look up his name in that would surely be as much cheating as looking it up with google.

But John Ronald Reuel Tolkien I had from memory.
I wasn't suggesting that people would look up his name but that they would be familiar with it from using the thesaurus on a regular basis, that is how I knew it.