Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 10-08-2010, 11:28 AM   #1
tiniree
Zealot
tiniree calls his or her ebook reader Vera.tiniree calls his or her ebook reader Vera.tiniree calls his or her ebook reader Vera.tiniree calls his or her ebook reader Vera.tiniree calls his or her ebook reader Vera.tiniree calls his or her ebook reader Vera.tiniree calls his or her ebook reader Vera.tiniree calls his or her ebook reader Vera.tiniree calls his or her ebook reader Vera.tiniree calls his or her ebook reader Vera.tiniree calls his or her ebook reader Vera.

Device: Nook 1st Gen
Question Anyone downloaded something from Rapidshare?

Hi Everyone -

I have been trying to locate a free epub download of the NLT bible and only found a link from a site called Rapidshare.

Being new to technology, I don't want to screw up my computer. Anyone use this site before for a download?

Marie
tiniree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 11:32 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The overwhelming majority of the material on Rapidshare is illegal. I would not recommend download from there. The New Living Translation of the Bible is a copyrighted book. You will not find it "for free" anywhere.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-08-2010, 11:37 AM   #3
tiniree
Zealot
tiniree calls his or her ebook reader Vera.tiniree calls his or her ebook reader Vera.tiniree calls his or her ebook reader Vera.tiniree calls his or her ebook reader Vera.tiniree calls his or her ebook reader Vera.tiniree calls his or her ebook reader Vera.tiniree calls his or her ebook reader Vera.tiniree calls his or her ebook reader Vera.tiniree calls his or her ebook reader Vera.tiniree calls his or her ebook reader Vera.tiniree calls his or her ebook reader Vera.

Thanks so much!
Old 10-08-2010, 05:04 PM   #4
ManosHandsOfFate
Addict
ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, K3, Fire, Nexus 7
Of course if you don't care about downloading illegal books I would recommend Rapidshare - particularly if used occasionally. If you use it a lot you'll want to pay for the premium membership so you don't have to deal with the download delay restriction.

Anyway, you'd be better off with the ESV. . .
ManosHandsOfFate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 09:18 PM   #5
Falcao
Banned
Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 650
Yes, I'm and old Rapidshare customer, argh!

There are no risks about infecting your PC, unless you download software (files ending in .exe in Windows).
Falcao is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-09-2010, 12:18 AM   #6
soondai
Guru
soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite
when it comes to downloading I prefer

http://ifile.it/
soondai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 07:41 AM   #7
Flyweight
Flyweight began at the beginning.

Device: Nook, Kindle 3
I love the irony of someone considering downloading the Bible from illegal sources
Flyweight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 10:55 AM   #8
Krystian Galaj
Guru
Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Bookeen Cybook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyweight View Post
I love the irony of someone considering downloading the Bible from illegal sources
Why? Were they immoral sources, that would be ironic.
Krystian Galaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 11:50 AM   #9
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiniree
Being new to technology
Flyweight, a newb might not know 't was an illegal copy so the said fact which would make it ironic will most likely not have been taken into consideration by her. besides from that RS is what it is, a hoster, thus not every DL from there must be illegal per se, (same for torrents).

As an example, a lot of Linux distributors, indie artists, etc offer torrents , as well as traditional DLs (see also http://liflg.org/)
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 11:50 AM   #10
lionel47
Addict
lionel47 doesn't litterlionel47 doesn't litter

Device: B&N Nook, Nook Color
Does anyone really hold copyright on the Bible? I would have thought it ran out years ago.
lionel47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 03:31 PM   #11
spec
Zealot
spec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura about

Device: nook
Quote:
I also wonder if the Bible mentions anything on the subject of whether downloading the Bible from rapidshare is a sin or not
spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 04:18 PM   #12
eGeezer
NE1 seen my glasses?
eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Nook Glowlight (following previous nook STR and STR w/GL)
Quote:
Despite those differentiating between "illegal" and "immoral", I agree with your intended humor and don't see that you are off-target.

After all, while "darkside" downloading is not specifically mentioned in the Bible as a sin, the "Book" is held up as the ultimate representation of "Good" (rightly or wrongly is not part of the discussion), and it would be expected that illegal actions of any sort would be frowned upon by any "true believer".

On the other hand, you only intended it as humor over the juxtaposition of being a supposedly "super-honest" person, and his/her possible willingness to download an illegal copy "the Book" on which his/her beliefs are based.

On the other other hand, there was no accusation that the original person asking the question intended any illegal downloading, merely the humor in the irony of downloading the Bible illegally.

As for copywrite, that is trully an interesting question.
eGeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 06:54 PM   #13
tiniree
Zealot

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by eGeezer View Post
On the other other hand, there was no accusation that the original person asking the question intended any illegal downloading, merely the humor in the irony of downloading the Bible illegally.
The irony of this statement is not lost on me.

As the person who started this post, let me just say that, no, I did not know that this site was considered "illegal". Nor did I, or would I, knowingly download something illegally (music, books, files, etc.).

Am I a "Goodie two shoes"? Probably in the eyes of a lot of people these days. But I am by no means a prude incapable of understanding why some people do what they do.

The reason I started this post was because of all the talk about computer viruses out there. Being new to computers when I clicked onto the site, I didn't think it looked "right". So I came here to the one source that I knew I could get an answer.

Marie
Old 10-12-2010, 07:38 PM   #14
eGeezer
NE1 seen my glasses?
eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Nook Glowlight (following previous nook STR and STR w/GL)
Indeed, Marie.

While I used extremes (also for humor), I did not realize my own statement was one of irony. I was merely interpreting Flyweight's post as addressing the irony of a person with strong beliefs in the tenets of the Bible then downloading an illegal copy. I attempted to make it plain that I understood that the OP (you, the Original Poster) had not expressed a specific intent to download illegally -- you were merely asking about the advisability of using the source.

I did not call anyone a prude or a "goody two-shoes", or suggest an inability to understand the actions of those who do not follow the tenets of any book, be it the Bible, or the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

I was merely saying I understood Flyweight's suggestion of irony. I doubt Flyweight was making any suggestion of inappropriate action on your part, and was merely commenting on the irony of any random person who might download an illegal copy of a specific Book.

You got your answer, but then peeps started addressing Flyweight's humorous observation, and I did the same, in his support.

My comments really had nothing to do with whether or not you, yourself, specifically may or may not download an "illegal" copy of the Bible. After all, there are free Bibles in hotels and motels across the country. I can't imagine getting a copy from another source for free would raise eyebrows in the community.

However, ebooks from the "dark side" tend to be less than exemplar quality, which would be another reason to seek a "legal" copy.
eGeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 04:27 PM   #15
tiniree
Zealot

Touche!