Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 01-21-2014, 08:17 PM   #61
peachiekene
Fanatic
peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura one, htc 10, kobo glo hd
[QUOTE=pendragginp;2744830]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BelleZora View Post

I have a question to anyone who got this book. In the first chapter, after the phone stops ringing she goes to make a cup of tea and

She put a plastic kettle on to boil??

Or is this a word which means one thing her in the States and can mean something else in Britain?
Maybe it means an electric one? The outer coatings on appliances are generally some kind of plastic.

Granted... the sentence still reads a bit weirdly even in that context.

-Edit: sqdancer and BelleZora beat me to it. :P
Old 01-21-2014, 08:22 PM   #62
pendragginp
Guru
pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Several
Oh jeez, I never thought of an electric kettle. all of you!

<long day long day long day...>
Advert
Old 01-21-2014, 08:38 PM   #63
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry Playbook, Sony 650, Kobo Glo, H2O, Aura One, Forma, Libra 2
Yep, it's an expression we use in Aus English as well - put (something) on to boil, whether it be on the stove or plug it in.

Although usually it would mean on the stove.

And yep - most of our electric 'kettles' or 'jugs' are of some sort of heavy plastic type material.
Old 01-21-2014, 08:56 PM   #64
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Few American homes have electric kettles. I've never seen one. I too would have thought she put a plastic item on a stove.
Old 01-21-2014, 11:20 PM   #65
sufue
lost in my e-reader...
sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Sony T1, Nook ST Glowlight, Galaxy Tab 7 Plus
I'm starting to see a pattern here...

The Lord Edward Corinth & Verity Brown series by David Roberts is also on sale.

In the US, the first one, Sweet Poison, is $1.99 (link) and two or three others are less than $5.

But, again, in the UK, all ten in the series (link) are £0.84 each.

This is another historical mystery series, set in 1930's England. I also like this series.

Both this and the Pat McIntosh/Gil Cunningham series are Robinson (or Constable & Robinson) Crime, so it appears this may be some sort of sale for this publisher...I'm going to check some of their other series that I like.
Advert
Old 01-21-2014, 11:33 PM   #66
sufue
lost in my e-reader...
sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

And same thing for the David Dickinson/Lord Francis Powerscourt series (late Victorian England), also Robinson.

The first one in the series, Goodnight, Sweet Prince, is $1.99 in the US, and one other is under $5. Link

In the UK, eleven of the twelve are £0.84, with only the newest (Elgin Marble, Jan 2014) not on sale. Link
Old 01-21-2014, 11:49 PM   #67
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm wondering if Kobo UK also has these series on special.

(I'm not on my PC so I can't check. )
Old 01-21-2014, 11:51 PM   #68
sufue
lost in my e-reader...

The first two books in Catriona McPherson's Dandy Gilver series, After the Armistice Ball, and The Burry Man's Day, are published by Robinson and are the now usual £0.84 at Amazon UK. link & link

The first book is $4.24 at Amazon US, sort of a sale. link
Old 01-22-2014, 12:03 AM   #69
sufue
lost in my e-reader...

Many of the Amelia Peabody and Vicky Bliss books by Elizabeth Peters are the now usual £0.84 at Amazon UK.

Link
Old 01-22-2014, 12:26 AM   #70
sufue
lost in my e-reader...

Okay, I'm giving up on individual links now...

Here are some other Robinson (or C&R) authors, with at least some books at the magic £0.84 price on Amazon UK:

MC Beaton
Quentin Bates
Alan Hunter
Cath Staincliffe
Helen Black
Barbara Cleverly (another excellent author of historical mysteries, IMO)
James Craig
Carola Dunn
Suzette A Hill
Sarah Caudwell (my favorite author of all time)
John Lutz
Steven Saylor
Hannah Dennison
Laura Joh Rowland
Graeme Kent
Simon Brett
Philip Gooden
some of those "Mammoth Best of..." compilations

and probably some others...

I haven't checked Amazon US for any of these.

Last edited by sufue; 01-22-2014 at 12:33 AM.
Old 01-22-2014, 12:32 AM   #71
sufue
lost in my e-reader...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynx-lynx View Post
I'm wondering if Kobo UK also has these series on special.

(I'm not on my PC so I can't check. )
Sadly, these don't seem to be on special at Kobo UK, at least yet. One can always hope...
Old 01-22-2014, 01:21 AM   #72
VictoriaP
Addict
VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2; Kindle Touch; Kindle 2; iPad Mini; iPad1
Quote:
Originally Posted by sufue View Post
Okay, I'm giving up on individual links now...

Here are some other Robinson (or C&R) authors, with at least some books at the magic £0.84 price on Amazon UK:

MC Beaton
Quentin Bates
Alan Hunter
Cath Staincliffe
Helen Black
Barbara Cleverly (another excellent author of historical mysteries, IMO)
James Craig
Carola Dunn
Suzette A Hill
Sarah Caudwell (my favorite author of all time)
John Lutz
Steven Saylor
Hannah Dennison
Laura Joh Rowland
Graeme Kent
Simon Brett
Philip Gooden
some of those "Mammoth Best of..." compilations

and probably some others...

I haven't checked Amazon US for any of these.
OK, this might finally push me into trying to make a UK account work. How aggravating that these deals aren't available in the US.
Old 01-22-2014, 01:29 AM   #73
basschick
Wizard
basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
i'm in los angeles, and i have 2 electric kettles - one is metal, one is plastic.
Old 01-22-2014, 01:49 AM   #74
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...

Quote:
Sadly, these don't seem to be on special at Kobo UK, at least yet. One can always hope...
Sufue thank you for presenting all these wonderful authors/books!!

I suspect that India may be a worthwhile place to visit with a suitable code
Old 01-22-2014, 02:02 AM   #75
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...

Quote:
I'm starting to see a pattern here...

The Lord Edward Corinth & Verity Brown series by David Roberts is also on sale.

In the US, the first one, Sweet Poison, is $1.99 (link) and two or three others are less than $5.

But, again, in the UK, all ten in the series (link) are £0.84 each.

This is another historical mystery series, set in 1930's England. I also like this series.

Both this and the Pat McIntosh/Gil Cunningham series are Robinson (or Constable & Robinson) Crime, so it appears this may be some sort of sale for this publisher...I'm going to check some of their other series that I like.
The Roberts Books are 127 rupees = $2.25 AUD (approx) - so that makes these books excellent value if used with voucher codes.

(I haven't read him before, so this is an excellent opportunity!!)

Edit
I won't put the Indian prices of other authors/books mentioned - but I will mention that Hong Kong may also be a good site. Or Singapore as Sufue will attest to
Closed Thread