Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 09-24-2012, 06:00 PM   #1
avantman42
Wizard
avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Children's stories from non-Christian faiths

I'd like to be able to read stories to my four (nearly five) year old son from religions other than Christianity, and which might have some historical basis.

Can anyone recommend some books or stories, or suggest where to look?

Russ
avantman42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 07:44 PM   #2
NightBird
Wizard
NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW, KF, KF HD, iPod Touch
Hi Russ:

I just googled like this: "Hindu children's stories," "Islam children's stories," etc. There appear to be lots of them.

Examples:

IslamCan.Com

Hindu Kids Universe
NightBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-25-2012, 02:29 AM   #3
avantman42
Wizard
avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I know I could google, but I was hoping for some personal recommendations. I know virtually nothing about non-Christian religions, so I was hoping that someone who did would be able to recommend some stories.
Old 09-25-2012, 02:45 AM   #4
Belfaborac
Wizard
Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-950
In a couple more years he'll be ready for One Thousand and One Nights (or Arabian Nights, as it is more often known), or at least for many of the stories. Some are a bit racy, so make sure you read them yourself first (if that's an issue). Four (nearly five) is probably/maybe a tad early, but considering how intensely I enjoyed those stories myself around that age I really can't recommend One Thousand and One Nights highly enough.

Unless you specifically want only religious children's stories, I also suggest Norwegian Folktales (collected) by Asbjornsen & Moe. At least I can't remember there being any religious content to the tales, but on the other hand they're chock-full of trolls, witches, beautiful princesses and much, much more.

The Brothers Grimm and H. C. Andersen's collection of folk and faerie tales you probably already know about and they, of course, are also not of the religious persuasion. Great stories though...

Lastly you may want to look through the collection of books in the Pantheon Fairy Tale and Folklore Library at Amazon, which contains faerie tales from far and near, East and West. They're not collections of religious children's tales, but obviously the the local religion(s) colour the tales.

Last edited by Belfaborac; 09-25-2012 at 02:47 AM.
Belfaborac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 03:41 AM   #5
NightBird
Wizard
NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW, KF, KF HD, iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by avantman42 View Post
or suggest where to look?

Russ
NightBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-25-2012, 07:44 AM   #6
avantman42
Wizard

NightBird: Yeah, I probably didn't explain myself very well. Sorry about that. I was tired, in bed, and posting from my phone.
Old 09-25-2012, 07:50 AM   #7
avantman42
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belfaborac View Post
In a couple more years he'll be ready for One Thousand and One Nights (or Arabian Nights, as it is more often known), or at least for many of the stories. Some are a bit racy, so make sure you read them yourself first (if that's an issue). Four (nearly five) is probably/maybe a tad early, but considering how intensely I enjoyed those stories myself around that age I really can't recommend One Thousand and One Nights highly enough.
Thanks for that, and the other recommendations. I'll have to look into all of them when I have more time.

Ideally, we'd like religious stories. The thing is, he's hearing stories about Jesus from school (the one about feeding the five thousand is a current favourite). I have no issue with that, but I'd like him to hear similar stories from other religions, if possible. Hence my request.
Old 09-25-2012, 12:24 PM   #8
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
I'd suggest the "All-of-a-Kind Family" series by Sydney Taylor. It's a children's series about an immigrant Jewish family in pre-WWI New York City. It incorporates, in a natural fashion, a lot of information about the religion and its holy days/celebrations.
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 09:08 PM   #9
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
Oh, that reminds me, there is this book of Jewish "Puzzle Stories and Wisdom Tales," While Standing on One Foot.

http://www.amazon.com/While-Standing...ng+on+one+foot

I have this book because I was working for the publisher at the time it came out, and I confess I never read it! Now I think my daughter would be interested in it, I will have to look for it.

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 09:16 PM   #10
odiakkoh
Guru
odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 5s
I would broaden your search to include cultural folklore rather than just religious stories. Majority of the world's stories aren't necessarily of religious nature. You'll be cutting out a lot.
odiakkoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 03:19 AM   #11
Belfaborac
Wizard
Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-950
Quote:
Originally Posted by avantman42 View Post
Thanks for that, and the other recommendations. I'll have to look into all of them when I have more time.

Ideally, we'd like religious stories. The thing is, he's hearing stories about Jesus from school (the one about feeding the five thousand is a current favourite). I have no issue with that, but I'd like him to hear similar stories from other religions, if possible. Hence my request.
You're very welcome.

As for specifically religious children's stories....I think you may struggle to find many. I read a lot of stories from all over the world (or they were read to me) when I was a kid; Russia, Eastern Europe, Africa, the Middle East and Asia and few, if any, contained much directly religious imagery. At least I can't remember any which would fit the bill.

I wish you the best of luck with the search though, as I think you're quite right to try to show your kids that there are all sorts of beliefs out there, not just the local variety.
Belfaborac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 06:09 AM   #12
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
What about the fairy tales of the Native Americans? I can't recommend you a special title as I've read them in German but I've found them highly interesting.
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 09:48 AM   #13
Namekuseijin
affordable chipmunk
Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony XPeria ZL, Kindle Paperwhite
how about the countless stories about old greek religions, now called greek mythology?
Namekuseijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 11:45 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Namekuseijin View Post
how about the countless stories about old greek religions, now called greek mythology?
Permit me to point out that mythology and religion are NOT the same thing.

Mythology tells stories which make a point, but are not meant to be taken literally. Religion also tells stories, but they are "historical", and are meant to be taken literally. The Greeks were perfectly aware of this distinction, and had a clear separation between mythology and religion, even though the same characters appeared in both.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 12:41 PM   #15
nobylspoon
Zealot
nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Asus Transformer, WIFI Xoom, EVO LTE, 3G Paperwhite 10/2
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Permit me to point out that mythology and religion are NOT the same thing.

Mythology tells stories which make a point, but are not meant to be taken literally. Religion also tells stories, but they are "historical", and are meant to be taken literally. The Greeks were perfectly aware of this distinction, and had a clear separation between mythology and religion, even though the same characters appeared in both.
So a story of a 600 year old man who built a 450' boat to house over 50,000 animals, 2M insects, 7 people and a years worth of food for all (animals and people) is believed to be taken literal?
nobylspoon is offline   Reply With Quote