Notices

Old 06-16-2011, 06:19 PM   #1
silviolorusso
Enthusiast
silviolorusso began at the beginning.

Device: none
”is the epub working?” poll

Hello everybody,

I'd like to ask to check this epub, in order to understand if there are errors or such things.

Please add device and reading platform.

Thanks!
Attached Files
File Type: epub inc_publications_overview.epub (2.29 MB, 165 views)
silviolorusso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 06:40 PM   #2
Hoyt Clagwell
Not an Addict
Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The blue one next to the fish.
Tried it on my Nook STR and Sony 650. For me the text was way to small and it would not let me adjust the size of the font. I used Calibre and reconverted it to ePub and then was able to adjust the font size.

Last edited by Hoyt Clagwell; 06-16-2011 at 08:29 PM.
Hoyt Clagwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-16-2011, 06:45 PM   #3
silviolorusso
Enthusiast

Thank you very much Hoyt! I think I will totally delete the "font-size" in the .css
Old 06-16-2011, 08:24 PM   #4
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
Instead of eliminating the font-sizes, change them to a relative measure like em - 1em for the body. 1.15em or 1.2em for the title and subtitle, and 0.6em for the colophon. This will allow the readers to change the font sizes while preserving the look of the different sizes used.

In general, relative units are a better choice for fonts and indents, but absolute sizes work best for margins - but that's my opinion, I'm sure others may disagree.
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 08:54 AM   #5
silviolorusso
Enthusiast

Great pholy! I actually didn't know about "em".

Thank you
Advert
Old 06-17-2011, 09:34 AM   #6
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Or you could use percents: nothing for the body, 115% or 120% for the titles, 60% for the colophon.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 12:54 AM   #7
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
Or you could use percents: nothing for the body, 115% or 120% for the titles, 60% for the colophon.
I have found that 1em is better than nothing, particularly when the font size changes within a paragraph using a span. Having a defined size is better than the default which can be a default inherit depending on the reader resulting in the size remaining changed after the span is done until the paragraph end. I have adopted 1em for that reason if there is a need for any changes to the default size. Of course defaults for h2, h1, h3 etc. are change sizes already as they have different defaults.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 03:28 AM   #8
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
I have found that 1em is better than nothing, particularly when the font size changes within a paragraph using a span. Having a defined size is better than the default which can be a default inherit depending on the reader resulting in the size remaining changed after the span is done until the paragraph end.
Do you mean this:

Code:
<p>Some paragraph with <span class="large">large words</large> as a sample
would look different with this style:

Code:
p { font-size: 1em; }
span.large { font-size: 200%; }
and this:

Code:
p { }
(which would display "as a sample" in large font too)?

If that's the case, it must be a bug in whatever reader does that, or there's something I've still not grasped from the CSS spec.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 11:22 AM   #9
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Do you mean this:

Code:
would look different with this style:

Code:
p { font-size: 1em; }
and this:

Code:
p { }
(which would display "as a sample" in large font too)?

If that's the case, it must be a bug in whatever reader does that, or there's something I've still not grasped from the CSS spec.
Yes, it was a Hanlin V3+ using ADE software. It seemed to interpret that lack of a specific fontsize as inherit the previously set size within the block. It is likely a bug but then older eBook readers seem to be stuck with what ADE version first appeared on them. Although I am not sure exactly how inherit is supposed to work.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 11:48 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Do you mean this:

Code:
SHould actually be...

Code:
<p>Some paragraph with <span class="large">large words</span> as a sample
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote