Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-13-2007, 06:54 PM   #1
SteffenH
Enthusiast
SteffenH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteffenH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteffenH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteffenH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteffenH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteffenH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteffenH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteffenH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteffenH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteffenH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteffenH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Paperwhite 2, Kobo Mini, TrekStor Pyrus Mini
Problems with Book Designer and some HTML-Files

Recently I tried to format the book "Future Imperfect" by ecconomist David D. Friedman (free draft at: http://www.daviddfriedman.com/Future_Imperfect.html) to lrf-format with Book Designer. Unfortunately it isn't possible to load or copy and paste the html-file in the editor whit out destroying the html-script (sorry, I'm a layman) and losing the linking of footnotes. Could anybody help me to transform this file to the lrf-format. Are there better tools for this task?

Thanks

Steffen
SteffenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 07:48 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteffenH View Post
Recently I tried to format the book "Future Imperfect" by ecconomist David D. Friedman (free draft at: http://www.daviddfriedman.com/Future_Imperfect.html) to lrf-format with Book Designer. Unfortunately it isn't possible to load or copy and paste the html-file in the editor whit out destroying the html-script (sorry, I'm a layman) and losing the linking of footnotes. Could anybody help me to transform this file to the lrf-format. Are there better tools for this task?

Thanks

Steffen
You could also try html2lrf part of the libprs500 package to convert this to LRF. But the real issue here is that a lot of the footnotes are links to external webpages. You won't be able to visit those pages to know what those footnotes mean.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-13-2007, 08:00 PM   #3
SteffenH
Enthusiast
SteffenH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteffenH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteffenH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteffenH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteffenH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteffenH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteffenH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteffenH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteffenH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteffenH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteffenH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks, I hope I will get it with html2lrf. I hope that it not necessary to know the meaning of all footnotes, because in a printed version you can't get the linked footnote too.

Steffen
Old 09-13-2007, 08:06 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteffenH View Post
Thanks, I hope I will get it with html2lrf. I hope that it not necessary to know the meaning of all footnotes, because in a printed version you can't get the linked footnote too.

Steffen
Could be why it is still a work in progress and hopefully eventually the footnotes won't have links.
Old 09-13-2007, 08:59 PM   #5
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Don't know whether my problem is similar but I had an HTML book that would hang when BD tried to work it. I finally found that the "hanging" was occurring in MS Word as BD was using it. I eventually found an HTML-to-RTF program & then I was able to get it converted to LRF using BD. Never was sure what the problem was.

Last edited by slayda; 09-17-2007 at 12:11 PM.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-13-2007, 09:25 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by slayda View Post
Don't know whether my problem is similar but I had an HTML book that would hang when BD tried to work it. I finally found that the "hanging" was occuring in MS Word as BD was using it. I eventually found an HTMT-to-RTF program & then I was able to get it converted to LRF using BD. Never was sure what the problem was.
I had one book do the same thing. It was with the RTF file after I made some edits to it.
Old 09-13-2007, 10:15 PM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
web2lrf --url http://www.daviddfriedman.com/Future_Imperfect.html
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 03:30 AM   #8
SteffenH
Enthusiast

Thank you! Sounds very easy.

Steffen
Old 09-14-2007, 03:55 AM   #9
andym
Groupie
andym has learned how to read e-booksandym has learned how to read e-booksandym has learned how to read e-booksandym has learned how to read e-booksandym has learned how to read e-booksandym has learned how to read e-booksandym has learned how to read e-books

Looking at the source of the book I'm pretty sure the problem is with MS Word, which has added in a whole bunch of stuff - for example a footnote produces this:

Code:
<a style='mso-footnote-id:
ftn41' href="#_ftn41" name="_ftnref41" title=""><span
class=MsoFootnoteReference><span style='mso-special-character:footnote'><![if !supportFootnotes]>[41]<![endif]></span></span></a><span
class=MsoFootnoteReference> </span>
I would guess this is what is causing problems for Book Designer.

I'd suggest saving it as plain text and converting from that - though unfortunately you could lose the footnotes. My advice to anyone wanting to produce a decent quality html file for conversion is get a decent text editor program and don't go anywhere near any MS product other than NotePad.

Last edited by andym; 09-14-2007 at 03:57 AM.
andym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 04:00 AM   #10
SteffenH
Enthusiast

@kovidgoyal:

I tried it but got a lot of errormessages and it took a lotof time,so i desided to cancel the prozess. What went wrong?

Beste,

Steffen
Old 09-17-2007, 09:07 AM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
This is not working well at all. The problem, is that a lot of the footnotes are URLs. Could you make an option in Web2lrf to specify the level of tracing links that it uses? If we could specify just ONE link level for this it might work.
Old 09-17-2007, 11:55 AM   #12
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

There already is web2lrf --help
Old 09-17-2007, 11:57 AM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
There already is web2lrf --help
It says the default is none and yet it is recursing links.
Old 09-17-2007, 12:01 PM   #14
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

oh i'm sorry the help shows the wrong default. Default is 1.
Old 09-17-2007, 12:04 PM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

This works....

web2lrf -r 0 -a "David Friendman" -t "Future Imperfect" --url http://www.daviddfriedman.com/Future_Imperfect.html