Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 09-19-2013, 11:18 PM   #586
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
Counting only works with EPUB. For other formats, you must either download the page count from Goodreads, or (temporarily) convert to EPUB. I think you could remove the EPUBs afterward if you wanted to.
As I understand this post, counting works on Mobi too.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 12:47 PM   #587
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
can someone pm me on how to get the reading levels to display? I haven't customized my Calibre interface in a long time, and am totally at a loss about how to show this.

Thanks!
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-23-2013, 12:51 PM   #588
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaPrice View Post
can someone pm me on how to get the reading levels to display? I haven't customized my Calibre interface in a long time, and am totally at a loss about how to show this.

Thanks!
Did you configure that section of the PI?
Just set the defined column name to show (un hide)
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 01:19 PM   #589
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:

Thanks!
Create a custom column:

Quote:
For a readability statistic, an example is as follows:
Lookup name: gfog
Column heading: Gunning Fog
Column type: Floating point numbers
Formatting: {0:.1f}
Then have the plugin write one of the reading levels into the column.

Warning: this can take *a long time* to complete.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 01:30 PM   #590
Man Eating Duck
Addict
Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.

Device: Kobo Aura, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Create a custom column:

Then have the plugin write one of the reading levels into the column.

Warning: this can take *a long time* to complete.
Note that it doesn't take significantly longer to calculate two or all three, since they use similar statistics as basis. So, even if you're initially only interested in one of them, create columns for all three and hide the ones you don't want if you're calculating in bulk anyway.
Man Eating Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-23-2013, 03:27 PM   #591
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

ah, I had my column set to the wrong type - now it works just fine. Thanks.

My fairy tales got a reading score of 97 - I assume that's out of 100? so that's aimed just about right.
Old 09-23-2013, 03:28 PM   #592
BeccaPrice
Wizard

<deleted>
Old 09-23-2013, 03:32 PM   #593
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
ah, I had my column set to the wrong type - now it works just fine. Thanks.

My fairy tales got a reading score of 97 - I assume that's out of 100? so that's aimed just about right.
If you're using FRE (Flesh Reading Ease), then the higher the score, the easier the book is. 100 is supposed to be a book that is easily understood by an 11 year old.

However, I do have my doubts about that method.

Yolina determined that the Kindle User Guide is about the same difficulty as The Silmarillion.

George R.R. Martin's "A Dance With Dragons" is actually easier than your fairy tale bundle.
Old 09-25-2013, 01:51 PM   #594
kiwidude
Calibre Plugins Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Counting only works with EPUB. For other formats, you must either download the page count from Goodreads, or (temporarily) convert to EPUB. I think you could remove the EPUBs afterward if you wanted to.
Just to clarify for anyone reading this in future, this is not quite correct. This plugin will convert to EPUB silently if it needs to in order to perform a count. That conversion is to a temporary book that gets discarded automatically when the plugin finishes.

For certain formats the plugin has optimisations that remove the need to do a conversion - such as for PDF, CBR and CBZ.

So you don't have to explicitly convert to EPUB and discard it after running the plugin - it will figure this out for you.
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 07:47 PM   #595
Man Eating Duck
Addict
Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.

Device: Kobo Aura, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Yolina determined that the Kindle User Guide is about the same difficulty as The Silmarillion.

George R.R. Martin's "A Dance With Dragons" is actually easier than your fairy tale bundle.
Yes, this might be well-known, but those reading level algorithms can be misleading at best. To be fair, they were developed to be doable by hand before general-purpose computers were common. A reading-level algorithm which doesn't even take vocabulary into account is still bound to be inaccurate.

The existing ones also place a heavy penalty on long words without considering their difficulty. "Watermelon" and "invisible" are words with which any child is familiar, still they will strongly affect the reading level according to Flesch & Co. Abominations like my previous sentence should really be taken out and shot, but it would only be marked as difficult because of the words "watermelon" and "invisible".

Edit: and because of "familiar". This is a difficult issue

Last edited by Man Eating Duck; 09-25-2013 at 07:53 PM.
Man Eating Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 04:47 AM   #596
Coolbox
Coolbox began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle gen. 4
Still not woking

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidude View Post
@coolbox - why do you not send the books to your Kindle? That right there is the problem. Your only option if you want to use Save to Disk is to use the separate APNX File Generator plugin, however that has not been maintained and does not support getting from the custom column this plugin populates.
Thanks kiwidude

I have tried sending from calibre and that still does not Work. I still says percentage on my kindle. I followed the guide and it calculates page numbers in calibre and added #pages under preferences for the plugin.
Any ideas
Coolbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 04:38 PM   #597
kiwidude
Calibre Plugins Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolbox View Post
Thanks kiwidude

I have tried sending from calibre and that still does not Work. I still says percentage on my kindle. I followed the guide and it calculates page numbers in calibre and added #pages under preferences for the plugin.
Any ideas
So long as you have ticked the "Send page number information when sending books" checkbox in the device driver plugin (for Kindle 2/3/4/Touch/PaperWhite or Kindle Fire Device Interface, whichever you have) and then also specify the custom column name that should be it. Then using Send to Device will write a .apnx file into the directory of your Kindle with the book, and that is what the Kindle will use, so when you click on the Menu button and it shows a page count it has one available.

If that still doesn't work I am out of ideas. It is outside the scope of this plugin about working with your device, so I suggest you try in the other MobileRead subforums, such as the calibre devices one or the Kindle forum. As this plugin just populates a custom column in calibre, it has no responsibility for actually getting that into a file on your device...
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 10:26 AM   #598
Waylander
Fanatic
Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 5 SE, Onyx Boox Poke 3
Hi, I'm new to this forum. I was wondering how this plug-in actually works. This is because when I try to count the pages on an azw3 book using the number of characters per page, set at 2400, it says that a custom column must be selected, and do I want to do this now. When I go to the plug-in settings to configure the custom column, the box has no options, and just shows a tick sign. What do I do? Any help would be gratly appreciated.
Waylander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 10:54 AM   #599
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidude View Post
If that still doesn't work I am out of ideas.
I have had some problems with this stuff a while ago. If you wipe the Kindle (i.e., remove the two Calibre files, and remove everything from the \documents folder), then you can try as you might, but you won't get any page numbers. Ever.

The solution I have found is this:
- Wipe the two Calibre files in the root.
- Wipe everything from the \documents folder.

Before you do ANYTHING ELSE, download a book from the cloud that has page numbers in it already, or download the two English dictionaries. Open them, and flip around a bit.

Then upload books using Calibre, and then page numbers will work.
Old 10-02-2013, 10:57 AM   #600
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waylander View Post
Hi, I'm new to this forum. I was wondering how this plug-in actually works. This is because when I try to count the pages on an azw3 book using the number of characters per page, set at 2400, it says that a custom column must be selected, and do I want to do this now. When I go to the plug-in settings to configure the custom column, the box has no options, and just shows a tick sign. What do I do? Any help would be gratly appreciated.
You must first create the custom column in Calibre itself.

Preferences -> Change Calibre Behavior -> Add your own columns.

Add a column of type Integer, and use this formatting: {0:,}

Restart Calibre. Now you can select this column in the Count Pages plugin.

Tags
count, count pages, page count, pages, plugin