Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 09-14-2007, 06:08 PM   #61
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I've gotten it to work fine using html2lrf and embedding Times New Roman.

html2lrf --serif-family="C:\Windows\Fonts, Times New Roman" untitled.html
Attached Files
File Type: lrf untitled.lrf (738.0 KB, 871 views)
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 07:22 PM   #62
lj69
lj69 began at the beginning.

Device: SONY
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I've gotten it to work fine using html2lrf and embedding Times New Roman.

html2lrf --serif-family="C:\Windows\Fonts, Times New Roman" untitled.html
yahooooooooooo....you did it, can you show me or write a tut about that pls
where is in 4rum i can got this program to work
thank you
lj69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-14-2007, 08:58 PM   #63
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lj69 View Post
yahooooooooooo....you did it, can you show me or write a tut about that pls
where is in 4rum i can got this program to work
thank you
html2lrf is a command line program. It's part of libprs500. Read this thread for how to get it and use it.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10582

The command I posted shows how to set the font.
Old 09-19-2007, 10:36 AM   #64
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Well, re-enabling Vista's User Access Controls allows the program to work. I guess that's something to forward to the author, to figure out why it gets confused without UAC enabled....
It does the same thing for me on Vista Home Premium 32bit following the install steps listed previously in the thread. With UAC turned on BookDesigner runs fine. When I turn UAC off I get the error about comdlg32.ocx being missing or invalid and BookDesigner won't start.

Weird.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 09:53 PM   #65
NormB
Definately Senior
NormB began at the beginning.

Device: eBookman,Dell Axim,PRS-500
New topic but I will run it on this thread. I stated having trouble with BD(or ms XP media edition) showing an error message "BD needs to shutdown" when I try to load the first book for formatting. I tried files from several sources and they all do the same. I uninstalled BD, cleared all the temp files, and cleared any BD files found in search, then reinstalled Ver 4.0 and upgrade 5 but I still have the same problem. Any suggestions?
NormB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-25-2007, 05:06 AM   #66
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NormB View Post
New topic but I will run it on this thread. I stated having trouble with BD(or ms XP media edition) showing an error message "BD needs to shutdown" when I try to load the first book for formatting. I tried files from several sources and they all do the same. I uninstalled BD, cleared all the temp files, and cleared any BD files found in search, then reinstalled Ver 4.0 and upgrade 5 but I still have the same problem. Any suggestions?

Did you use the lates upgrade 5 that JSWolf uploaded here?
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 05:14 AM   #67
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by NormB View Post
You have the wrong update. The one you have can be unstable. You need to get 07/30/2007. It's in this thread someplace.
Old 09-26-2007, 09:12 PM   #68
Draccy
SciFi E-Book Fanatic
Draccy began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle 2
Book designer is great! I love how easy it is to format books with this tool. I would have loved to have known about it for the Palm Zire 72 I used for years!

Last edited by Draccy; 09-26-2007 at 09:24 PM.
Draccy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 11:28 PM   #69
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draccy View Post
Book designer is great! I love how easy it is to format books with this tool. I would have loved to have known about it for the Palm Zire 72 I used for years!
I didn't know about BD until this year. Didn't really get into ebooks until this year. Granted, I bough some ebooks in MS Reader format and read them on my computer or on the laptop, but I much prefer how portable my Sony Reader really is.
Old 10-09-2007, 09:27 PM   #70
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
It does the same thing for me on Vista Home Premium 32bit following the install steps listed previously in the thread. With UAC turned on BookDesigner runs fine. When I turn UAC off I get the error about comdlg32.ocx being missing or invalid and BookDesigner won't start.

Weird.
I found something on the BD forum (it's in russian, so made it interesting to get through). If you get an error about the missing comdlg32.ocx when running with UAC turned off, but it runs fine with UAC turned on. Open up a command prompt while UAC is turned off and type:

regsvr32 /u comdlg32.ocx
regsvr32 comdlg32.ocx

The first command unregisters it, and the second re-registers. Apparently, there seems to be something different about how it registers without UAC. Because if I do the above with UAC turned off, then I can run BD fine with UAC still off. Maybe forcing it to re-register with UAC off makes it register with Admin privs? I don't know.

Also, when I did it the comdlg32.ocx error stopped showing up, but another one came up instead. "comctl32.ocx" I think. I did the same procedure for that one, and then BD would start.

Hopefully that helps somebody else too.
Old 10-09-2007, 11:28 PM   #71
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Thanks Shaggy. That's some very useful information.
Old 10-12-2007, 10:48 AM   #72
Shaggy
Wizard

Another gotcha (not sure if it's been mentioned before), but there are some tricks to getting PDFCreator installed on vista as well, if you need it for BookDesigner. The installer won't run (complains about not being compatible with the version of windows), however if you right click on the installer and set the compatibility mode for Windows XP, everything should be fine.

Also, there are lots of comments on the PDFCreator forums about the client mode (which is what BookDesigner needs) not working on vista. Don't worry about it. You don't actually need to be able to launch PDFCreator manually, so it doesn't matter if it won't run on vista. BookDesigner just needs the files present (probably uses some libraries that are part of PDFCreator), you don't actually need PDFCreator itself to run.

The forums say that if you need PDFCreator to run on vista then you should install it in server mode. Don't do that, BookDesigner needs the client install. Been there, done that, had to start over.
Old 10-27-2007, 02:40 PM   #73
hapax legomenon
Erotica Writer
hapax legomenon doesn't litterhapax legomenon doesn't litter

Device: ipad, Sony Reader PRS 505, Cybook 3
wow, I had a major time trying to install book designer. i have a fresh install of xp sp 2.

I unzipped the 7/30 zip file and tried to run bookdesigner.exe

I've tried both as user and admin.

first error message: missing comdlg32.ocx .

I downloaded that off the web, registered it. Then next error message.
missing richt32.ocx

I found it off the web and installed it in the right place. Then I registered it. but it gave the error message that the registration failed. (I did all this registering while admin).

regsvr32 \windows\system32\RICHTX32.OCX
(that's what I ran).

i rebooted, some message.

just out of curiosity why do these dependencies exist. And why can't book designer install and run like other windows programs.

Any suggestions about how to solve this problem how to start with a clean system?

One other question. I normally work in a user account. is there a command I can run as user to register these ocxes. (or at least to promote my privileges to admin).

i know i got book designer to work on my other system. but this is my main system for doing work and it would be nice to get it installed. Given how useful book designer is, has anyone tried to make it easier to install?
hapax legomenon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 02:44 PM   #74
hapax legomenon
Erotica Writer
hapax legomenon doesn't litterhapax legomenon doesn't litter

Device: ipad, Sony Reader PRS 505, Cybook 3
"RICHTX32.OCX is not an executable file and no registration helper is registered for this file type. "
hapax legomenon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 11:38 PM   #75
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

1. unzip the file BookDesigner40.zip
2. Right click on th .msi file from the ZIP and install
3. unzip the file Bookdesigner2007-07-30.zip on top of the files in the c:\Program files\book designer\ directory and you have it updated.

You need to delete the Book Designer directory you've created. Then install from the MSI in the 4.0 zip. Then update from there. Also go to the sticky for Book Cleaner and download and install the BC files.

Tags
bookdesigner