Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 08-16-2007, 11:16 PM   #31
ZeBuddha
MonkeyWrench
ZeBuddha began at the beginning.

Device: SE K800i & PSP - looking at PRS500 :D
The only things that I have running aside from standard Windows services are touchpad, ATI and wifi drivers, along with MSN & Firefox (both of which I tried shutting down to see if it made a diff. but nothing).

Also, I've gone through all the folder permissions, as well as the local sec. policy, user rights assignments, etc. Should be nothing there that'd cause probs (unless BD does some VERY strange things).
ZeBuddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 11:51 PM   #32
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeBuddha View Post
The only things that I have running aside from standard Windows services are touchpad, ATI and wifi drivers, along with MSN & Firefox (both of which I tried shutting down to see if it made a diff. but nothing).

Also, I've gone through all the folder permissions, as well as the local sec. policy, user rights assignments, etc. Should be nothing there that'd cause probs (unless BD does some VERY strange things).
No firewall or antivirus or spyware filters?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-18-2007, 12:45 AM   #33
ZeBuddha
MonkeyWrench

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
No firewall or antivirus or spyware filters?
Nope.
Old 08-18-2007, 12:46 AM   #34
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeBuddha View Post
Nope.
I know this may be a silly idea. But try safe mode and see if it works.
Old 08-18-2007, 08:41 AM   #35
kilofox
Connoisseur
kilofox doesn't litterkilofox doesn't litterkilofox doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 2
MS Word needed for Lit to LRF?

I am running XP on a Mac with VMWare (very nice I might add).

I converted a drm lit file to non drm lit. Do I need MS Word installed to convert the new lit file to lrf?

The reason I ask is I am getting a failure when I try to convert lit to lrf. The help file mentions that Word is needed for rtf and html, but makes no mention of lit. Do I still need it?
kilofox is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-18-2007, 09:02 AM   #36
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Yes you do need Word. It uses word to convert to something BD understands.
Old 08-19-2007, 02:29 PM   #37
ZeBuddha
MonkeyWrench

Quote:
I know this may be a silly idea. But try safe mode and see if it works.
Nope... doesn't work either
Old 08-19-2007, 11:32 PM   #38
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Anyone have any ideas? I seem to be out of them.
Old 08-21-2007, 09:27 PM   #39
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

I have another idea...

This is from another thread here, but give it a go.

VISTA USERS MUST RIGHT CLICK AND RUN THE INSTALLER WITH ADMINISTRATOR PRIVILEGES.
Old 08-21-2007, 10:38 PM   #40
andyafro
Connoisseur
andyafro doesn't litterandyafro doesn't litter

Device: sony reader prs-500
LOOKS GOOD
andyafro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 10:45 PM   #41
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyafro View Post
LOOKS GOOD
Thank you very much for your help. If you had not pointed out the issue with the latest update, I would not have known it needed fixing.
Old 08-27-2007, 11:51 PM   #42
mgmharry
mgmharry began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
I installed the program as has been outlined, and updated the files. When I try to run it, I get a message that "Component 'comctl32.ocx' or one of its dependencies not correctly registered: a file is missing or invalid". I'm running Vista Premium, have disabled User Account Control, and I know that this particular ocx is registered properly, because I redid the command-line registration. Has anyone else seen this error?

Thank you! -Greg
mgmharry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 10:22 AM   #43
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Welcome to MobileRead, mgmharry!

I can't directly answer your question, as I'm not using Vista (my plan is to wait 'til they're working on the replacement to install it -- that's when MS OSs tend to get stable ).

However, I can offer a couple of things to try that have come up before.

BD won't work in Vista from the "My Programs" directory. Also it needs to be installed with full Admin privileges.

You may also find useful the ongoing discussion of BD & Vista located here.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 10:05 PM   #44
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmharry View Post
I installed the program as has been outlined, and updated the files. When I try to run it, I get a message that "Component 'comctl32.ocx' or one of its dependencies not correctly registered: a file is missing or invalid". I'm running Vista Premium, have disabled User Account Control, and I know that this particular ocx is registered properly, because I redid the command-line registration. Has anyone else seen this error?

Thank you! -Greg
Did you reboot after you did the registration? Did you make sure it was in system32? Do you want my version to try?

The attached file is my comctl32.ocx as I have on my XP Pro system. Cannot hurt to try it. But remember to backup your copy.
Attached Files
File Type: zip comctl32.zip (230.1 KB, 1035 views)
Old 09-03-2007, 02:43 PM   #45
Azayzel
Cache Ninja!
Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500, HTC Shift, iPod Touch, iPaq 4150, TC1100, Panasonic WordsGear
Quote:
It has come to my attention that the upgrade for 2007-07-30 is not complete. It relies on people having gone through the upgrade path.. 2007-04-12, 2007-05-30, and then 2007-07-30. So what I have done is combine all three upgrades into one. I started with the earliest and added the others to it in date order. So now the 2007-07-30 update should be complete. So you can now start with the installer and then use this to upgrade and you won't get the error message that you cannot make Sony books.

If there is a problem, please let me know.
Thanks for the insight and for providing us with a single upgrade path. I guess you could call it a roll-up to the current version! I'm gonna give this one a whirl and see if it fixes my PDB parsing issues.

You da man Jon!
Azayzel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bookdesigner