Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 04-28-2007, 06:16 AM   #1
dsyzling
dsyzling began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
Book Designer Vista and Office 2007

Anyone running Book Designer with Vista and Office 2007 successfully. I've installed the bookdesigner40.msi and overlayed the latest update which installs and runs fine.

I can build Sony lrf files quite happily, however BD doesn't seem to now import graphics from .doc/rtf files. This all worked fine with XP. Now before I'm forced to go off and build a virtual machine with xp and office I just wondered if anyone could help track down the problem, I'd much rather have this working on my main machine.

Thanks
Darren
dsyzling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 06:31 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I would guess the problem might well be that BD writes its temporary files within its own directory and, as you know, you can't write to "Program Files" under Vista unless you switch off the new security system.

Have you tried installing BD to a location that's NOT under "Program Files"? That might very well make it work OK.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-29-2007, 10:06 AM   #3
dsyzling

Harry,

Thanks for the reply. Yes I installed BD to a different directory (not within program files) - which is probably why I haven't experienced some of the problems I've seen in other messages on mobileread.

I've since experiemented a little more and it seems BD is losing references to images embedded within documents under certain conditions. This used to work - i.e. I used to be able to screen scrape a page from firefox/IE and copy into word, save as an Office 2003 doc and then run through BD to produce an lrf. However it now seems that the image link is lost when loading into BD. Not sure whether this is BD, Office 2007 or Vista at the moment :-(

Darren
Old 04-29-2007, 08:39 PM   #4
Mitchll
Cave Dweller
Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Ipad Sony reader prs-505 prs-900
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsyzling
Harry,

Thanks for the reply. Yes I installed BD to a different directory (not within program files) - which is probably why I haven't experienced some of the problems I've seen in other messages on mobileread.

I've since experiemented a little more and it seems BD is losing references to images embedded within documents under certain conditions. This used to work - i.e. I used to be able to screen scrape a page from firefox/IE and copy into word, save as an Office 2003 doc and then run through BD to produce an lrf. However it now seems that the image link is lost when loading into BD. Not sure whether this is BD, Office 2007 or Vista at the moment :-(

Darren
I have no difficulty with Word 2007 but found that I had many problems with Vista, so I am running it with MS Word 2007 but Windows XP (dual boot)
Mitch
Mitchll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 04:28 AM   #5
dsyzling

Mitch,

Thanks for the confirmation, I've got a machine kicking around with XP and Office 2003. I'm going to try the latest version of BD on this and run through some tests.

Darren
Advert
Old 04-30-2007, 04:35 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Should work just fine with that - that's the configuration I use.
Old 04-30-2007, 05:02 AM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Same here.. XP Pro, latest BD, and Office 2003, and it all works just fine.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 06:05 AM   #8
dsyzling

Having tested on XP with Office 2007 and the latest BD I've narrowed it down to a doc that I was importing that contained a GIF image. Png/jpg seems to work fine.

If I saved the doc as html, doc or rtf and it contained a link to a GIF image then try importing into BD the image doesn't display.

This behavior appears consistent with Vista - i.e. it doesn't look like Vista is causing the issue - anyone know if this is a BD limitation?

Darren
Old 04-30-2007, 06:41 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Inserting GIF images into BD works fine if you do it manually - ie drag a GIF file from Windows Explorer into BD. I'm not sure that I've ever imported a doc with embedded GIF images - perhaps that's the issue?
Old 04-30-2007, 11:02 AM   #10
dsyzling

Yes it seems BD chokes on gif images linked to the document. It does download the image to its local work area but just seems to fail to link to the body of the document.

I've sent an email to the BD author(s) to see if this is a known issue.

Your suggestion of directly copying/dragging into BD is an excellent work around though - thanks!

Darren
Old 04-30-2007, 05:54 PM   #11
dsyzling

After further investigation the copy/paste solution doesn't seem to work either with the latest BD. The images appear in BD however when you then try and create the lrf file the images are not embedded in the output file.

This failed under Vista and my XP Virtual machine (ok with Office 2007). I'm happy to think there are issues with Vista but the XP version shouldn't have an problems.

I then reverted back to the 1st March 2007 release and this appears to work fine even when copying the images into word doc and then loading into BD.

So it seems there is an issue with file/image linking with the latest release of BD - assuming the one I'm running (12th April 2007) is the latest release?

Darren
Old 05-01-2007, 02:45 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Darren,

I'm using the latest 12th Apr 07 BD and GIF images work just fine for me. See the attached!
Attached Files
File Type: lrf GIF Image Test.lrf (34.2 KB, 656 views)
Old 05-01-2007, 03:49 AM   #13
dsyzling

Harry,

Could you try a test for me please? Let's say I want to copy the following article for offline reading on the Reader:
http://www.agilejournal.com/content/view/311/

I open IE7 or firefox and scroll down to the 'How-To' section, highlight the paragraph and the image, select copy and paste this into BD. If I double click the image in BD the image pop up window appears with the file field contents in red suggesting no (local) file and the full hyperlink to the image, the src field also contains the url to the image.

If I now build the Sony Reader file the resulting lrf doesn't contain the embedded image (something like 7/8kb in size).

The following page works fine using this method:
http://www.lukew.com/resources/articles/web_forms.html. In this case the png files seemed to be downloaded locally and the lrf generation tool works fine.

Just want to make sure there isn't anything else strange about my config, if not potentially it may be down to the markup on the page and the contents of the clipboard when copying.

I'm using BD latest with Office 2007 on XP.

Thanks for your help

Darren
Old 05-01-2007, 06:53 AM   #14
dsyzling

Harry,

Could you try a test for me please? Let's say I want to copy the following article for offline reading on the Reader:
www.agilejournal.com/content/view/311/

I open IE7 or firefox and scroll down to the 'How-To' section, highlight the paragraph and the image, select copy and paste this into BD. If I double click the image in BD the image pop up window appears with the file field contents in red suggesting no (local) file and the full hyperlink to the image, the src field also contains the url to the image.

If I now build the Sony Reader file the resulting lrf doesn't contain the embedded image (something like 7/8kb in size).

The following page works fine using this method:
www.lukew.com/resources/articles/web_forms.html. In this case the png files seemed to be downloaded locally and the lrf generation tool works fine.

Just want to make sure there isn't anything else strange about my config, if not potentially it may be down to the markup on the page and the contents of the clipboard when copying.

I'm using BD latest with Office 2007 on XP.

Thanks for your help

Darren
Old 05-01-2007, 07:02 AM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

If you do a "Save Complete Web Page" in IE it will download all the images locally. You certainly won't get the pictures unless you have a local file. I'm not sure why one of your examples would download the image, but not the other, but if you don't have the image stored on your hard disk, that would certainly account for what you're seeing.