Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-05-2010, 01:29 AM   #1
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
Full size photo size v. Screensaver size?

I hope this is not covered elsewhere.

I created some screensaver images by cropping some of my photos and converting them to BW and then making sure that they were tweaked up or down to 600x800. They appear just fine when the k3 goes to sleep.

I also copied those same exact images to a photo folder. In this case, when I attempt to view those exact same images, they show up oddly. The images appear to be moved downward (cropping the bottoms) and the top 1/4 or 1/3 duplicates itself at the top of the display. So that the top 1/3 or 1/4 shows twice. My other photos, full color images that are quite large are displayed in a smaller scale but no cutting or partial duplication occurs on those images.

What's happening?

Thanks in advance
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 08:05 AM   #2
badbob001
Fanatic
badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard (rip), Kindle Voyage, Fire Tablet 10 '17, iPad '19
So many possibilities:

I assume you were viewing the Photos with full screen mode. Not sure if this is related to your issue, but there is a bug where if you view Photos in full screen mode, leave, and come back, it'll no longer appear to be in full screen mode but the menu system still thinks it's full screen. The fix is to toggle full screen off and on.

All your Photos exactly 600x800 and with the blank areas filled in? It's unlikely without cropping that your original photos will resize to be exactly 600x800 (ie: 500x800), so you need to fill in those undersized areas. This is because when viewing undersized photos, the viewer tends to show parts of the image from the previous photo in the unfilled areas.

What format are you converting your images to? I've seen a case where using ImageMagick to crop and resize images to GIF leads to images that are shown distorted.
badbob001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-05-2010, 11:09 AM   #3
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I've used Irfanview to crop the images to a "reasonable" rectangle and then used its RESIZE image to enlarge or shrink the image to 600x800 - it will either stretch the image a bit or shrink it a bit to reach those dimensions - I'm not concerned about a little distortion (and _I_ look better if I've been stretched taller and narrowed!). So the images are exactly the 600x800. (I have seen the PREVIOUS IMAGE DEBRIS you mention when I had not resized to the 600x800 and parts of the prior image showed).

No, this is the same photo with the image superimposed over itself where the top 1/3 of the same image shows at the top.

Just captured a screen image:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_shot-62703.jpg
Views:	463
Size:	299.6 KB
ID:	60676  
Old 11-05-2010, 11:12 AM   #4
FF2
Wizard

(since I'm not sure editing would not blow my attachment)

All of the files show exactly the same. Top 1/3 or so is repeated at the top of the picture and the pictures have been shifted downward so that the actual bottom of the image is missing. Again, all are exactly the right 600x800 and work fine as screen savers. Hmm, I guess looking at the screen capture, the k3 has made room for the battery meter and my name - so it has shifted or accommodated that when it displays photos.

THANKS - back - using FULL SCREEN MODE cleared up the problem - so it was probably the battery meter accommodation that screwed up the display, altho why it chopped and duplicated part of the image is strange.

Last edited by FF2; 11-05-2010 at 11:21 AM. Reason: Solution!
Old 11-05-2010, 12:07 PM   #5
OakIris
Addict
OakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi; Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
I'm not concerned about a little distortion (and _I_ look better if I've been stretched taller and narrowed!).
Me too, although in my case, I need to be narrowed by quite a bit.

Glad you figured out what the problem was.

Holly
OakIris is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-19-2010, 11:02 PM   #6
Blog Kindle
Addict
Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.

Device: Kindle 1/2/3/4/Touch/DX/Fire|PRS-600/350|Nook(color)|iPad|iPad2|EVO 4G
The devil is always in the small details
Blog Kindle is offline   Reply With Quote