Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 07-22-2016, 04:52 PM   #1
dummybear
dummybear has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.dummybear has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.dummybear has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: M96
Several Tweaks for Onyx Boox M96

I just wanted to share some improvements I have made to my Onyx Boox M96, that will most probably work on M96 plus and M96C, not sure about N96. This is for firmware Booxtor 1.7.5 2016/07/02

A) Root your device
1. Download the attached file "Towelroot1.zip", extract it, and install the app it contains, "Towelroot1.apk". Open the app and run it. Your system will hang up after a while, then reset it by long pressing the power button, and it will be rooted.
2. Install SuperSU, open it and answer yes when it asks to update binaries: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...infire.supersu

B) Install some useful apps (necessary for C and D)
1. Install Busybox, open it and click on "Install Busybox": https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...meefik.busybox
2. Install Terminal Emulator: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...al.androidterm
3. Install ES File Explorer: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...gs.android.pop

C) Disable the high contrast for webview

Since version 1.7.3, developers introduced a "High Contrast feature", that turns every text on a webpage or app into black bold font over white background. If you want to disable it, and have pages show normally, follow these steps:

1. Download the attached file mod-framework-m96-(version).zip
2. Extract the contents to the root of your SD card.
3. Open Terminal Emulator, and type the following commands:
Code:
su
cd /sdcard
sh reframe.sh
4. Answer yes, and it will make the changes automatically.

D) Update the system font to a newer one
You can also update your system default font, for the one included in Android Lollipop. Among other improvements, it has full support for polytonic Greek, and also looks a bit better to me.

1. Download the attached file Fonts.zip, and extract its contents to any place in your SD card.
2. Open ES File Explorer, and enable the "Root Explorer" feature.
3. Use ES File Explorer to copy the four files you extracted in step 1 (they will be like Roboto-xxxx.ttf") to the directory /system/fonts. It will overwrite the originals, so you can make a backup first, if you want to.
4. Reboot.

Last edited by dummybear; 01-08-2017 at 03:22 PM.
dummybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 05:15 PM   #2
dummybear
dummybear has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.dummybear has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.dummybear has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Here are the attachments:
Attached Files
File Type: zip TowelRoot1.zip (101.9 KB, 354 views)
File Type: zip Fonts.zip (622.8 KB, 362 views)
File Type: zip mod-framework-m96-1.8.0-Onyx.zip (5.00 MB, 254 views)

Last edited by dummybear; 01-08-2017 at 03:20 PM.
Old 07-24-2016, 12:02 AM   #3
JHarry
Connoisseur
JHarry is kind to children and small, furry animalsJHarry is kind to children and small, furry animalsJHarry is kind to children and small, furry animalsJHarry is kind to children and small, furry animalsJHarry is kind to children and small, furry animalsJHarry is kind to children and small, furry animalsJHarry is kind to children and small, furry animalsJHarry is kind to children and small, furry animalsJHarry is kind to children and small, furry animalsJHarry is kind to children and small, furry animalsJHarry is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Onyx Boox M92
Good job!
JHarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 12:05 AM   #4
JHarry
Connoisseur
JHarry is kind to children and small, furry animalsJHarry is kind to children and small, furry animalsJHarry is kind to children and small, furry animalsJHarry is kind to children and small, furry animalsJHarry is kind to children and small, furry animalsJHarry is kind to children and small, furry animalsJHarry is kind to children and small, furry animalsJHarry is kind to children and small, furry animalsJHarry is kind to children and small, furry animalsJHarry is kind to children and small, furry animalsJHarry is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Onyx Boox M92
I think, if you show a picture which compares the high contrast mode and the one without the mode, it will be better.
JHarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 09:34 AM   #5
cicabum
Addict
cicabum has much to be proud ofcicabum has much to be proud ofcicabum has much to be proud ofcicabum has much to be proud ofcicabum has much to be proud ofcicabum has much to be proud ofcicabum has much to be proud ofcicabum has much to be proud ofcicabum has much to be proud ofcicabum has much to be proud ofcicabum has much to be proud of

Device: Onyx Note3, Nova3, Hisense A5, Hisense Q5, Dasung Paperlike Pro-f
Dummybear, could you please say me what file actives High Contrast feature in the framework-res file? Do you know what file manages how often the device refreshes the pages?
cicabum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 05:08 AM   #6
dummybear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cicabum View Post
Dummybear, could you please say me what file actives High Contrast feature in the framework-res file? Do you know what file manages how often the device refreshes the pages?
The file is res/raw/webview_contrast_enchanced.css.

About changing the page refresh rate, I know you can change it in Neo Reader and OReader settings. I haven't felt the need to tweak any file to change it.
Old 07-25-2016, 05:09 AM   #7
dummybear

Thumbs up

Hey guys, if you like this post, don't forget to click on the "Karma" button on the lower left corner!
Old 07-25-2016, 12:30 PM   #8
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Thread moved to the ONYX BOOX Forum.

Don
(Moderator)
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 02:59 AM   #9
cicabum
Addict
cicabum has much to be proud ofcicabum has much to be proud ofcicabum has much to be proud ofcicabum has much to be proud ofcicabum has much to be proud ofcicabum has much to be proud ofcicabum has much to be proud ofcicabum has much to be proud ofcicabum has much to be proud ofcicabum has much to be proud ofcicabum has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by dummybear View Post

About changing the page refresh rate, I know you can change it in Neo Reader and OReader settings. I haven't felt the need to tweak any file to change it.
Thanks a lot for your answer
Old 08-19-2016, 04:30 PM   #10
cicabum
Addict

Quote:

Dummybear, I'd like to disable ""High Contrast feature" on my T68 as well. Could you say me please how I have to edit my framework-res file to get that result?
Old 09-08-2016, 04:00 AM   #11
dummybear

Quote:
Dummybear, I'd like to disable ""High Contrast feature" on my T68 as well. Could you say me please how I have to edit my framework-res file to get that result?
Hello cicabum. Sorry for the late reply. There are several tutorials online about how to modify framework-res.apk. For example, this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHm2bKR6uLk

But I think that probably the T68 and the M96 share the same framework. My suggestion would be to download the M96 ROM, extract the framework-res.apk file, and compare it with the T68's. If both files are identical, then you can just use the one I posted, and you will save lots of work.
Old 09-09-2016, 02:15 AM   #12
cicabum
Addict

Quote:
Hello cicabum. Sorry for the late reply. There are several tutorials online about how to modify framework-res.apk. For example, this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHm2bKR6uLk

But I think that probably the T68 and the M96 share the same framework. My suggestion would be to download the M96 ROM, extract the framework-res.apk file, and compare it with the T68's. If both files are identical, then you can just use the one I posted, and you will save lots of work.
Thanks a lot
Old 09-15-2016, 05:44 PM   #13
kuskro
Connoisseur
kuskro is less competitive than you.kuskro is less competitive than you.kuskro is less competitive than you.kuskro is less competitive than you.kuskro is less competitive than you.kuskro is less competitive than you.kuskro is less competitive than you.kuskro is less competitive than you.kuskro is less competitive than you.kuskro is less competitive than you.kuskro is less competitive than you.

Device: Onyx Boox T68 & M96
Quote:
Hey guys, if you like this post, don't forget to click on the "Karma" button on the lower left corner!
Could you build another new framework for the last update (2016.08.12)?

Last update link for M96: http://pan.baidu.com/s/1c2NZs7A

Thanks in advance.
kuskro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 12:31 PM   #14
nivieru
Enthusiast
nivieru has met Morla.nivieru has met Morla.nivieru has met Morla.nivieru has met Morla.nivieru has met Morla.nivieru has met Morla.nivieru has met Morla.nivieru has met Morla.nivieru has met Morla.nivieru has met Morla.nivieru has met Morla.

Device: Onyx Nova Air, Onyx boox i86ml plus, nook simple touch
Quote:
Hi cicabum,
I just did the same for my i86 and it works, so I can provide instructions:

Tools needed -
apktool, adb.
Also your device need to be rooted, and in case something goes wrong, make sure you know how to boot into recovery using some key combination (power + volumeup? power+back? something like that).
I issue the commands on a linux shell, but windows also has a command line thing.

1 - Get framework-res.apk from your device with the command
Code:
adb pull /system/framework/framework-res.apk
2 - Install framework in apktool and decompile
Code:
apktool if framework-res.apk
apktool d framework-res.apk
3 - Modify framework-res/res/raw/webview_contrast_enchanced.css as you like.
I commented the first "font-weight:900 !important" line from the "*" element so that regular text will be displayed regularly, but left the rest unchanged so that links are displayed bold.
You can also play with colors to make links grayer or whatever.

4 - Rebuild apk.
First, build the apk
Code:
apktool b framework-res
Carefull - the generated apk won't work and you'll get a bootloop!
Now extract from the original framework-res.apk the META-INF folder and the AndroidManifest.xml file and put them in framework-res/build/apk/ folder.
Note - "extract" here means as you would from a zip file. an apk is a zip file, really.
Now rebuild again
Code:
apktool b framework-res
The generated apk is in framework-res/dist, rename it to framework-res.apk.new1 or something.

5 - Push and replace framework-res.apk using adb
Code:
adb push framework-res.apk.new1 sdcard/
adb shell
Before you continue, make sure you know the name of the device where your /system is
and replace /dev/block/mmcblk0p5 in the following accordingly.
In adb shell, you can find that using
Code:
mount
Now to make the switch:
Code:
su
stop
mount -o remount,rw /dev/block/mmcblk0p5 /system
cd /system/framework/
busybox cp /sdcard/framework-res.apk.new1 ./
chmod 644 framework-res.apk.new1
busybox cp framework-res.apk /sdcard/framework-res.apk.orig
mv framework-res.apk.new1 framework-res.apk
reboot
That's it!
If something went wrong and you get a bootloop, and you can't adb into it to fix things, you can always boot into recovery and reinstall the latest update.zip.
nivieru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 03:21 PM   #15
dummybear

Updated to latest version from Onyx 1.8.0. It is supposed to have an option to disable the "contrast enhancement" for individual apps, but it doesn't work for me.

Tags
m96, onyx boox m96, onyx m96