Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 08-28-2014, 04:12 PM   #1
unknownsoldierx
unknownsoldierx began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
Epub to mobi - keep ToC format?

When I convert a book it almost always changes the ToC. Removes and/or adds links. In most cases, removing subchapters.

For example, this one kept the subchapters, which is nice, but for some reason changed the links to all caps. It also removed the cover, title page, and table of contents links.
unknownsoldierx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 12:07 PM   #2
unknownsoldierx

How do I retain the original TOC format? The original epub has a nice TOC, but after conversion it looks like crap.

Also, for some reason the page count changed from 2306 to 2197.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	outlander-toc.png
Views:	144
Size:	95.4 KB
ID:	130982  
Advert
Old 11-12-2014, 09:28 PM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/conv...le-of-contents
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 10:16 PM   #4
unknownsoldierx

I was hoping there was a way for Calibre to hand this automatically. I have 150 books I've converted and every one I've looked at has this or similar problems. I tried the debug option, but I couldn't make sense of any of the files.

I don't have the time to go digging around in files for so many books, anyway. I suppose Calibre just isn't for me. I think for the sake of time efficiency, I'll look into replacing my Kindle with something that supports epub format.

Thanks.
Old 11-12-2014, 10:54 PM   #5
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Is your conversion options set to force use of the auto-generated ToC?

I haven't ever had these issues, so I certainly wouldn't expect the majority of books to have problems.

Pre-existing ToCs have always carried over perfectly, IME.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-12-2014, 11:07 PM   #6
unknownsoldierx

Force use of the auto-generated ToC is unchecked. Conversion options are all set to defaults except that I chose Kindle as the output profile.
Old 11-12-2014, 11:32 PM   #7
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Report a bug, as per the instructions here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=186697

If the ToC is getting changed out from under you, that should be fixed.
Old 11-12-2014, 11:42 PM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I highly doubt that you have the conversion options set to default. If the input file has a metadata ToC it is most definitely preserved in the output file on conversion to MOBI.
Old 11-12-2014, 11:54 PM   #9
unknownsoldierx

I just went through all the coversion settings and hit reset for each section to see what options I had changed. The only options that I had changed are:

In common options, under page setup, output format is set to "Kindle"
In ouput options for mobi, I have personal doc tag set to [EBOK] instead of [PDOC].

I've never changed any other options.

Last edited by unknownsoldierx; 11-12-2014 at 11:58 PM.
Old 11-13-2014, 12:14 AM   #10
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

The global options will not affect books you have already converted. For those the previously used settings override them. You need to reset the settings in the conversion dialog for the individual book.
Old 11-13-2014, 12:22 AM   #11
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

If you post a conversion log, we can see what options are enabled in the actual conversion. Could be an easy way to clear up the confusion...
Old 11-13-2014, 01:08 AM   #12
unknownsoldierx

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
The global options will not affect books you have already converted. For those the previously used settings override them. You need to reset the settings in the conversion dialog for the individual book.
What I meant was, I hit the reset and watched the options to see if anything changed, so I could see if I had ever changed any of the options. I know I didn't change anything, but just to be sure.

Before I ever converted any books, I changed the output format and personal doc tag settings. Those are the only convert options I've ever changed, and I still have them set that way.
Old 11-13-2014, 01:19 AM   #13
unknownsoldierx

Converted the same book as above. Log file attached.
Attached Files
File Type: txt calibre_log.txt (20.3 KB, 119 views)
Old 11-13-2014, 01:24 AM   #14
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Then you need to open a bug report and attach the epub file.
Old 11-13-2014, 01:26 AM   #15
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

EDIT: Actually, looking at your screenshots, I'd guess the problem comes because your EPUB file has both an inline ToC and a metadata ToC. The MOBI format supports only an inline ToC, so the toc you get in the MOBI will be th einline TOC from the epub.

If you want the metadata toc used instead, convert to AZW3 instead of MOBI.