Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-31-2009, 10:41 PM   #31
Xiaopanda
Addict
Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Meh, Disney owns Miramax and (I could be wrong here , but I'm pretty sure I am not) Dimension films....... both of which also do non G-rated or kid friendly films.

I think it's gonna be situation normal for Marvel and all our beloved comic books heroes from our first (or second, thrird etc..) childhoods, though I'd like to see a phasing adamantium clawed stoogie smokin' Mickey...*snickttt*
Xiaopanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 02:52 AM   #32
Slite
Icanhasdonuts?
Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura 2nd edition, Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by edembowski View Post
[sarcasm]
This is just wonderful. I can't wait for the Mickey Mouse / Punisher cross-over event.
[/sarcasm]
Maybe they'll change the punishers skull to this? (I have that t-shirt btw, and people usually get very upset with it)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	disturbia.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	19.5 KB
ID:	35251  
Slite is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-01-2009, 04:04 AM   #33
Wario
Connoisseur
Wario began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
This a smart move for Disney. (Business wise). Marvel products sells and in the movies department a big way. Not sure how Disney got Marvel on the cheap, I would value Marvel at $6-7 billion Mickey dollars.
Wario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 08:38 AM   #34
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slite View Post
Maybe they'll change the punishers skull to this? (I have that t-shirt btw, and people usually get very upset with it)
Whatever for?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wario View Post
This a smart move for Disney. (Business wise). Marvel products sells and in the movies department a big way. Not sure how Disney got Marvel on the cheap, I would value Marvel at $6-7 billion Mickey dollars.
As I said, those movie rights are still owned by other studios (Sony, Fox, Universal), and won't automatically revert to Disney upon this purchase. They won't be seeing a dime from SpiderMan, X-Men, Iron Man, Daredevil, Electra, Hulk or the FF movies. And if the rights don't revert, Disney can't make more movies for those characters.

All that's left is B-list characters, or A-listers that aren't as popular with the public. In fact, of the A-listers, there aren't many... Captain America being the largest... Thor is already under development at another studio, and it may be too late to reverse that... and many of the other female characters seem like analogues of established male characters (Spider Woman, She-Hulk), and will likely be ridiculed by the masses.

So Disney's potential isn't as high as it ought to be, for what they're paying for. I can't see how it can do much for them, without the exclusive rights to Marvel's most popular characters.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 08:54 AM   #35
Slite
Icanhasdonuts?
Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura 2nd edition, Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan View Post
Whatever for?
Dunno really, must be the whole "Don't mess with the mouse" mentality

Personally, I love that shirt. Disturbia makes some very funny tees IMHO.
Slite is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-01-2009, 09:33 AM   #36
Jack Tingle
Punctuation Fetishist
Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Nexus 7 (2013), Galaxy S5 phone, Galaxy Tab 4 8.0
Meh.

Corporations buy one another all the time. Smart corporations try to minimize creative disruptions and maximize overhead synergy in non-critical areas. Disney is often smart. Marvel purchasing and logistics people should worry. I'm not sure anyone else will notice.

Regards,
Jack Tingle
Jack Tingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 09:47 AM   #37
Wario
Connoisseur
Wario began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan View Post
Whatever for?

As I said, those movie rights are still owned by other studios (Sony, Fox, Universal), and won't automatically revert to Disney upon this purchase. They won't be seeing a dime from SpiderMan, X-Men, Iron Man, Daredevil, Electra, Hulk or the FF movies. And if the rights don't revert, Disney can't make more movies for those characters.

All that's left is B-list characters, or A-listers that aren't as popular with the public. In fact, of the A-listers, there aren't many... Captain America being the largest... Thor is already under development at another studio, and it may be too late to reverse that... and many of the other female characters seem like analogues of established male characters (Spider Woman, She-Hulk), and will likely be ridiculed by the masses.

So Disney's potential isn't as high as it ought to be, for what they're paying for. I can't see how it can do much for them, without the exclusive rights to Marvel's most popular characters.
That ture, but Marvel get a cut out of all Movies, cartoons and any thing that got their charaters on it.

Disney will do well, if they can manage with all charater they buying into.

As for license, that all different ball game, which will go well over my head .
Wario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 10:25 AM   #38
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
Really, with The Avengers movies coming up, there really ain't much left unlicensed. Samuel L Jackson has signed a contract to appear in 11 movies as Nick Fury, (two already released, being just cameos).
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 12:34 PM   #39
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmgreen View Post
Aw, c'mon. Think of where this can go!

Ariel and the Beast as the newest members of the X-Men (she even has red hair like Phoenix!).

Wolverine in the reboot of Who's Afraid of the Big Bad Wolverine?

The new Fantastic Four - the Incredibles (oh wait - that was the what they were modeled on).

Now for Time-Warner to buy DC - Flash vs Speedy Gonzales, Daffy Duck vs Green Lantern.

Oohhh - my head is spinning!
Ummm, Time Warner does own DC...
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 01:07 PM   #40
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pshrynk View Post
Ummm, Time Warner does own DC...
And has been since 1969.
Old 09-02-2009, 04:49 AM   #41
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad M1 Pro, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellmark View Post
Well, as things stand, it'll be eons before any of the copyrights expire under current law. Most of marvel is from the '60s or the '70s, and has quite a bit that is newer. Current copyright life on works for hire is a 120 years from date of creation. I think they'll make that money back many times over in the 80-90 years they have left.
Technically it is the sooner of 120 years from creation or 90 95 years from first publication.

Last edited by Dylrob; 09-02-2009 at 04:56 AM.
Dylrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 05:08 AM   #42
Riocaz
Fulfilled but not by iRex
Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Far too many
I still find it hard to believe that any corporation with the history of Marvel would grant rights in perpetuity...

But then again why would Sony/Fox etc lie?
Riocaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 12:50 PM   #43
Hellmark
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylrob View Post
Technically it is the sooner of 120 years from creation or 90 95 years from first publication.
Still, many of us will likely be dead before that comes.
Old 09-02-2009, 12:53 PM   #44
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
I hope no one minds, but I edited the title of the thread to put the relevant "r" in Spiderman. It was driving me nuts...
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 01:55 PM   #45
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by pshrynk View Post
I hope no one minds, but I edited the title of the thread to put the relevant "r" in Spiderman. It was driving me nuts...
Who needs therapy now?...

Spiderman vs Pshrynk: The thrilla on the manilla couch!
Whose great power--to save lives, or to edit--will result in the greatest angst? This will be a six-hankie, no-childhood-nightmares-barred death-match! Let's get rrrready to grrrrrumble!
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote