Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-19-2009, 11:53 PM   #1
roger64
Wizard
roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3 (wifi)
maintenance and backup

I am a Linux Ubuntu PRS-505 user and I mostly use calibre for some months now.

I had once to do a soft reset and I lost some meta-tags, collections and bookmarks though I lost no book.

The result was two or three hours to put things back in order.
I thought a little about it.
First, I decided to stop my PRS-505 once a day (before I was always in stand-by mode).

Then, I wonder if there are some maintenance operations I could perform. I was thinking of some kind of fsck (this is Linux).

And I think I could use rsync once in a while to backup my books.

Has somebody some experience about maintenance and backup ot a PRS-505 content ?
roger64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 11:19 PM   #2
roger64
Wizard
roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3 (wifi)
Well. It seems that backup and maintenance are not fashionable. The PRS is not a computer ?

Anyway, for the information of the few that could be interested, I use now very satisfactorily a tool called grsync on Ubuntu. It's a very convenient graphical synchronisation tool. So, once the files have been sent with the right format to the PRS using calibre, I delete them and only rely on my synchro (with checksum included).

Every minor modification is now kept. Including bookmarks, collections, tags, whatever...Synchro lasts some seconds. So it's just a reflex to acquire, you add some new books, you make a synchro. Peace of mind.

As far as the idea of fsck, since the PRS-505 uses a Linux kernel, it should be possible, using a live-cd like rescuecd, to fsck the files. Still mulling about it though.

Last edited by roger64; 01-20-2009 at 11:21 PM. Reason: orthographical
roger64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert